Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Sunday, Nov 30, 2025

Sunak scraps Truss plan for state to buy energy from foreign producers

Sunak scraps Truss plan for state to buy energy from foreign producers

The Energy Supply Taskforce set up by Liz Truss during her brief premiership is being scrapped as ministers abandon a plan to intervene directly in global gas markets.
The Energy Supply Taskforce set up by Liz Truss during her brief premiership is being scrapped as ministers abandon a plan to intervene directly in global gas markets,

Rishi Sunak has abandoned his predecessor's plan to intervene in global energy markets by spending billions of pounds on foreign gas imports.

Sky News has learnt that Liz Truss's Energy Supply Taskforce (EST), which was launched in September, is being scrapped.

Headed by Madelaine McTernan, who was director-general of the government's COVID-19 Vaccine Taskforce, the energy supply initiative was set up to strike long-term deals aimed at bolstering Britain's domestic energy security.

It came after the turmoil in energy markets triggered by Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine sparked record prices for British consumers, exacerbating the cost-of-living crisis.

Industry sources said this weekend that locking taxpayers into long-term contracts potentially lasting up to 20 years at current high prices had been rejected by Mr Sunak's team.

In a statement in early September, Ms Truss's administration said the EST had "begun negotiations with domestic and international suppliers to agree long-term contracts that reduce the price they charge for energy and increase the security of [UK] supply".

Ms Truss's aides described it at the time as a flagship reform which underlined her determination to get a grip on the UK's energy crisis.

In mid-October, Sky News revealed that Whitehall officials were in talks with US-based companies including Cheniere and Venture Global, both of which are big players in the liquefied natural gas sector.

One insider said the government had been in talks with "a broad range" of potential suppliers.

Ms Truss's ill-fated premiership ended just weeks later, however, prompting a review by her successor of her plan to intervene in energy markets.

Responding this weekend to an enquiry from Sky News, a government spokesman said: "While the government is continuing these efforts and remains completely committed to strengthening our energy resilience, we have concluded that direct purchases of gas are not the best intervention in the market."

Earlier this month, Mr Sunak and the US President Joe Biden unveiled the UK-US Energy Security and Affordability Partnership, an initiative that both governments said would focus on reducing dependence on Russian energy exports.

A Whitehall source said on Saturday: "Winding down the taskforce is the right decision - while it was sensible in September for the previous administration to explore these contracts, locking-in long term contracts while gas prices are this high just doesn't make sense.

"It was also only ever just one option on the table - there's a whole range of other actions we're taking now to boost the UK's energy resilience, including a new £1bn energy efficiency scheme, financial backing for Sizewell C and reintroducing the Energy Security Bill to parliament."

Nevertheless, the decision not to press ahead with Ms Truss's plan will raise renewed questions about the country's long-term energy security.

Earlier this month, ministers approved the Government Investment Decision to commit £700m to the development of the Sizewell C nuclear power station.

British imports of LNG accounted for 17% of the gas supplied to the UK through production and imports last year, according to data published by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.

The government has also acknowledged in recent months that it has been seeking long-term deals with foreign states understood to include Norway and Qatar - sparking concerns that Britain would pay a 'security premium' in exchange for guaranteed supplies.

The decision to disband the energy taskforce comes as Jeremy Hunt, the chancellor, is reported to be contemplating extending energy bill subsidies beyond the original March deadline.

Companies in numerous sectors including hospitality have complained that energy costs combined with broader inflationary pressures and souring consumer sentiment have left them on the brink of ruin.
Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Will Saudi Arabia End Up Bankrolling Israel’s Post-Ceasefire Order in Lebanon?
Saudi Arabia’s SAMAI Initiative Surpasses One-Million-Citizen Milestone in National AI Upskilling Drive
Saudi Arabia’s Specialty Coffee Market Set to Surge as Demand Soars and New Exhibition Drops in December
Saudi Arabia Moves to Open Two New Alcohol Stores for Foreigners Under Vision 2030 Reform
Saudi Arabia’s AI Ambitions Gain Momentum — but Water, Talent and Infrastructure Pose Major Hurdles
Tensions Surface in Trump-MBS Talks as Saudi Pushes Back on Israel Normalisation
Saudi Arabia Signals Major Maritime Crack-Down on Houthi Routes in Red Sea
Italy and Saudi Arabia Seal Over 20 Strategic Deals at Business Forum in Riyadh
COP30 Ends Without Fossil Fuel Phase-Out as US, Saudi Arabia and Russia Align in Obstruction Role
Saudi-Portuguese Economic Horizons Expand Through Strategic Business Council
DHL Commits $150 Million for Landmark Logistics Hub in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Aramco Weighs Disposals Amid $10 Billion-Plus Asset Sales Discussion
Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince for Major Defence and Investment Agreements
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
Riyadh Metro Records Over One Hundred Million Journeys as Saudi Capital Accelerates Transit Era
Trump’s Grand Saudi Welcome Highlights U.S.–Riyadh Pivot as Israel Watches Warily
U.S. Set to Sell F-35 Jets to Saudi Arabia in Major Strategic Shift
Saudi Arabia Doubles Down on U.S. Partnership in Strategic Move
Saudi Arabia Charts Tech and Nuclear Leap Under Crown Prince’s U.S. Visit
Trump Elevates Saudi Arabia to Major Non-NATO Ally Amid Defense Deal
Trump Elevates Saudi Arabia to Major Non-NATO Ally as MBS Visit Yields Deepened Ties
Iran Appeals to Saudi Arabia to Mediate Restart of U.S. Nuclear Talks
Musk, Barra and Ford Join Trump in Lavish White House Dinner for Saudi Crown Prince
Lawmaker Seeks Declassification of ‘Shocking’ 2019 Call Between Trump and Saudi Crown Prince
US and Saudi Arabia Forge Strategic Defence Pact Featuring F-35 Sale and $1 Trillion Investment Pledge
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Emerges as Key Contender in Warner Bros. Discovery Sale
Trump Secures Sweeping U.S.–Saudi Agreements on Jets, Technology and Massive Investment
Detroit CEOs Join White House Dinner as U.S.–Saudi Auto Deal Accelerates
Netanyahu Secures U.S. Assurance That Israel’s Qualitative Military Edge Will Remain Despite Saudi F-35 Deal
Ronaldo Joins Trump and Saudi Crown Prince’s Gala Amid U.S.–Gulf Tech and Investment Surge
U.S.–Saudi Investment Forum Sees U.S. Corporate Titans and Saudi Royalty Forge Billion-Dollar Ties
Elon Musk’s xAI to Deploy 500-Megawatt Saudi Data Centre with State-backed Partner HUMAIN
U.S. Clears Export of Advanced AI Chips to Saudi Arabia and UAE Amid Strategic Tech Partnership
xAI Selects Saudi Data-Centre as First Customer of Nvidia-Backed Humain Project
A Decade of Innovation Stagnation at Apple: The Cook Era Critique
President Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in Washington Amid Strategic Deal Talks
Saudi Crown Prince to Press Trump for Direct U.S. Role in Ending Sudan War
Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince: Five Key Takeaways from the White House Meeting
Trump Firmly Defends Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Murder Amid Washington Visit
Trump Backs Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Killing Amid White House Visit
Trump Publicly Defends Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Killing During Washington Visit
President Donald Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman at White House to Seal Major Defence and Investment Deals
Saudi Arabia’s Solar Surge Signals Unlikely Shift in Global Oil Powerhouse
Saudi Crown Prince Receives Letter from Iranian President Ahead of U.S. Visit
Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Begins Washington Visit to Cement Long-Term U.S. Alliance
Saudi Crown Prince Meets Trump in Washington to Deepen Defence, AI and Nuclear Ties
Saudi Arabia Accelerates Global Mining Strategy to Build a New Economic Pillar
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman Arrives in Washington to Reset U.S.–Saudi Strategic Alliance
Saudi-Israeli Normalisation Deal Looms, But Riyadh Insists on Proceeding After Israeli Elections
Saudis Prioritise US Defence Pact and AI Deals, While Israel Normalisation Takes Back Seat
×