Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Sunday, Nov 30, 2025

Covid: No new measures in England but we rule nothing out, says PM

Covid: No new measures in England but we rule nothing out, says PM

The government needs to "reserve the possibility" of bringing in new Covid rules in England as cases of the Omicron variant surge before Christmas, the prime minister has said.

Boris Johnson did not announce any new measures but said ministers were "looking at all kinds of things".

The PM said the data was being reviewed "hour by hour" and there were still "some things that we need to be clearer about before we decide to go further".

He urged people to exercise caution.

A further 91,743 Covid cases were reported across the UK on Monday, the second highest daily total on record.

The government's scientific advisers say new restrictions may be required very soon - and have suggested reducing the size of groups that can meet and closing venues where there is a high risk of transmission.

But Mr Johnson faces opposition to new restrictions from within his party. Nearly 100 Tory MPs voted against the government's decision to bring in Covid passes last week, while Brexit minister Lord Frost resigned from government at the weekend over "coercive measures" to tackle Covid.

Speaking after a two-hour cabinet meeting, Mr Johnson said the arguments for taking action were "very, very finely balanced".

He added: "Unfortunately I must say to people that we will have to reserve the possibility of taking further action to protect the public, to protect public health, to protect our NHS. And we won't hesitate to take that action."


Asked about the prospect of further restrictions before or after Christmas, Mr Johnson said: "We are looking at all kinds of things to keep Omicron under control and we will rule nothing out.

"But at the moment, what I think we want people to focus on is exercising caution - so ventilation, masks in the appropriate places, all the usual stuff about washing hands, but remember how contagious Omicron really is."

The prime minister said "what really matters is for everybody to get vaccinated and get boosted".

He also acknowledged the impact that recent behavioural changes by some people, such as cancelling bookings, were having on businesses in the hospitality sector, saying the economic impacts would be kept "under constant review".

London Mayor Sadiq Khan urged the government to provide "immediate support" to businesses in the hospitality, retail and culture sector to prevent jobs being lost, saying in a tweet that "time is running out".


Analysis

By Damian Grammaticas, political correspondent

The PM had been urged to give clarity. The nation was waiting to hear if there would be more restrictions coming - and if so, what and when?

Boris Johnson and his cabinet had spent more than two hours deliberating. But what Mr Johnson told us didn't answer those questions.

On how serious things are, he said there were still "uncertainties" and "we should keep the data under review".

On what possible action might come, he said: "We are looking at all kinds of things."

Could it still happen before Christmas? "We will rule nothing out," he replied.

So this was a decision by the PM not to do more right now, despite the fact he said cases were "surging".

Was that because of doubts around the cabinet table? Or because the PM - as he pointed out - believes people are already adapting their behaviour and he wants more time to see if that's enough to control the spread of Omicron?

Perhaps, but it perpetuates the uncertainty. And, as the scientists have said, delay has consequences in itself, because cases continue to rise.

Leaked notes from the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) suggest that, without intervention beyond current Plan B rules in England, hospital admissions could reach 3,000 a day.

And the BBC has been told that civil servants have produced three options for future Covid measures, ranging in severity from low to medium and high.

Deputy PM Dominic Raab earlier refused to guarantee that no new rules - such as a circuit-breaker lockdown - would be brought in, saying: "We've said we can't make hard, fast guarantees... it depends on the severity of the Omicron cases."


Shadow health secretary Wes Streeting accused Mr Johnson of having "absolutely nothing new to say, no plan whatsoever".

He told Radio 4's PM programme: "Boris Johnson is paralysed by weakness because of fear of his own backbenchers... no-one wants to bite the bullet and level with the public this side of Christmas."

And Liberal Democrat leader Sir Ed Davey criticised Boris Johnson's "indecision", arguing he was providing "more chaos and confusion" at a time people "urgently need clarity and reassurance".

The current rules for England - known as Plan B - include Covid passes for certain events, face masks in more places and people being urged to work from home if they can.

Other nations of the UK have similar rules, though Scotland has gone further by asking people to limit social contact to three households at a time in the run-up to Christmas.

However, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon confirmed on Monday that people in Scotland would not face fresh restrictions on Christmas Day gatherings.

Wales has also ordered nightclubs to close from 27 December.

Matthew Taylor, chief executive of the NHS Confederation, said health experts were not calling for further restrictions as they know they "can be very damaging to people's health and wellbeing", but added officials feel it is "now a question of when rather than if" they will be needed.

He said: "If the Plan B measures and boosters prove not to be enough, [experts] expect the government to respond quickly and pre-emptively in the national interest to the range of advice and modelling it has."

There were 1,024,833 people given a Covid-19 vaccine dose on Saturday - the highest single daily jab figure on record - more than 940,606 of which were booster or third doses.

Vaccinations dropped to 919,521 on Sunday, which is still the fourth highest total on record - beaten only by the number of doses administered on Thursday and Friday.

The news means 50.4% of the UK population - nearly 29 million people - have had a booster dose, with 81.8% having had two jabs and 89.5% one dose.



Boris Johnson: "We will have to reserve the possibility of taking further action to protect the public"

Nicola Sturgeon says she wants "people to have clarity about what we are expecting of them" ahead of Christmas Day





Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Will Saudi Arabia End Up Bankrolling Israel’s Post-Ceasefire Order in Lebanon?
Saudi Arabia’s SAMAI Initiative Surpasses One-Million-Citizen Milestone in National AI Upskilling Drive
Saudi Arabia’s Specialty Coffee Market Set to Surge as Demand Soars and New Exhibition Drops in December
Saudi Arabia Moves to Open Two New Alcohol Stores for Foreigners Under Vision 2030 Reform
Saudi Arabia’s AI Ambitions Gain Momentum — but Water, Talent and Infrastructure Pose Major Hurdles
Tensions Surface in Trump-MBS Talks as Saudi Pushes Back on Israel Normalisation
Saudi Arabia Signals Major Maritime Crack-Down on Houthi Routes in Red Sea
Italy and Saudi Arabia Seal Over 20 Strategic Deals at Business Forum in Riyadh
COP30 Ends Without Fossil Fuel Phase-Out as US, Saudi Arabia and Russia Align in Obstruction Role
Saudi-Portuguese Economic Horizons Expand Through Strategic Business Council
DHL Commits $150 Million for Landmark Logistics Hub in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Aramco Weighs Disposals Amid $10 Billion-Plus Asset Sales Discussion
Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince for Major Defence and Investment Agreements
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
Riyadh Metro Records Over One Hundred Million Journeys as Saudi Capital Accelerates Transit Era
Trump’s Grand Saudi Welcome Highlights U.S.–Riyadh Pivot as Israel Watches Warily
U.S. Set to Sell F-35 Jets to Saudi Arabia in Major Strategic Shift
Saudi Arabia Doubles Down on U.S. Partnership in Strategic Move
Saudi Arabia Charts Tech and Nuclear Leap Under Crown Prince’s U.S. Visit
Trump Elevates Saudi Arabia to Major Non-NATO Ally Amid Defense Deal
Trump Elevates Saudi Arabia to Major Non-NATO Ally as MBS Visit Yields Deepened Ties
Iran Appeals to Saudi Arabia to Mediate Restart of U.S. Nuclear Talks
Musk, Barra and Ford Join Trump in Lavish White House Dinner for Saudi Crown Prince
Lawmaker Seeks Declassification of ‘Shocking’ 2019 Call Between Trump and Saudi Crown Prince
US and Saudi Arabia Forge Strategic Defence Pact Featuring F-35 Sale and $1 Trillion Investment Pledge
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Emerges as Key Contender in Warner Bros. Discovery Sale
Trump Secures Sweeping U.S.–Saudi Agreements on Jets, Technology and Massive Investment
Detroit CEOs Join White House Dinner as U.S.–Saudi Auto Deal Accelerates
Netanyahu Secures U.S. Assurance That Israel’s Qualitative Military Edge Will Remain Despite Saudi F-35 Deal
Ronaldo Joins Trump and Saudi Crown Prince’s Gala Amid U.S.–Gulf Tech and Investment Surge
U.S.–Saudi Investment Forum Sees U.S. Corporate Titans and Saudi Royalty Forge Billion-Dollar Ties
Elon Musk’s xAI to Deploy 500-Megawatt Saudi Data Centre with State-backed Partner HUMAIN
U.S. Clears Export of Advanced AI Chips to Saudi Arabia and UAE Amid Strategic Tech Partnership
xAI Selects Saudi Data-Centre as First Customer of Nvidia-Backed Humain Project
A Decade of Innovation Stagnation at Apple: The Cook Era Critique
President Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in Washington Amid Strategic Deal Talks
Saudi Crown Prince to Press Trump for Direct U.S. Role in Ending Sudan War
Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince: Five Key Takeaways from the White House Meeting
Trump Firmly Defends Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Murder Amid Washington Visit
Trump Backs Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Killing Amid White House Visit
Trump Publicly Defends Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Killing During Washington Visit
President Donald Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman at White House to Seal Major Defence and Investment Deals
Saudi Arabia’s Solar Surge Signals Unlikely Shift in Global Oil Powerhouse
Saudi Crown Prince Receives Letter from Iranian President Ahead of U.S. Visit
Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Begins Washington Visit to Cement Long-Term U.S. Alliance
Saudi Crown Prince Meets Trump in Washington to Deepen Defence, AI and Nuclear Ties
Saudi Arabia Accelerates Global Mining Strategy to Build a New Economic Pillar
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman Arrives in Washington to Reset U.S.–Saudi Strategic Alliance
Saudi-Israeli Normalisation Deal Looms, But Riyadh Insists on Proceeding After Israeli Elections
Saudis Prioritise US Defence Pact and AI Deals, While Israel Normalisation Takes Back Seat
×