Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Saturday, Feb 21, 2026

Macau leader sorry over chaos of universal Covid-19 tests

Macau leader sorry over chaos of universal Covid-19 tests

Residents complained about the government’s poor planning as long queues formed outside test centres and the health app crashed.

Macau leader Ho Iat-seng has apologised for the chaos and confusion over the city’s universal Covid-19 testing scheme, which he blamed partly on the abrupt border policy changes overnight by the neighbouring mainland Chinese city of Zhuhai.

Macau authorities on Tuesday night called for the city’s estimated 680,000 residents to take a Covid-19 test within three days, starting from Wednesday.

The announcement came after the gaming hub’s 491-day record of having no infections ended when a family was confirmed to have caught the highly infectious Delta variant of Covid-19.

But anxious residents began waiting outside the 41 test centres before dawn, resulting in long queues throughout the day.

At the test centre at Macau Pui Ching Middle School, there were constantly more than 100 people in the queue the whole morning.

One woman told TV reporters: “I came around 6am and am still in the middle of the queue after waiting for more than three hours.”

Another resident complained: “Some people who have not made bookings online for the test just showed up to queue. It is totally unfair to us who have made advance bookings. It is a total mess.”


An 80-year-old woman, who showed up with her 90-year-old husband, broke down after learning they had been in a wrong line.

“We waited for hours but were told by the officers that we were in the wrong queue. They asked us to go to line up elsewhere,” she said. “What have we done to deserve this treatment? Can the government not make more sensible arrangements?”

Others said that only Chinese-language notices were put up at the centres.

The Covid-19 test is essential for Macau residents because a negative nucleic acid test certificate – which is saved in the official health code mobile app – is needed for those who plan to leave and enter Macau through Zhuhai or other checkpoints.

Residents also need the app to generate a colour code under the health code system to enter most public places and access public services.

But it crashed throughout the morning.

There were also reports that residents had started emptying shelves at supermarkets.

The scenes of chaos were rare as Macau has been regarded as a model example in containing Covid-19. Tourism has bounced back in the casino hub since May. It has repeatedly snubbed Hong Kong for a “travel bubble” between the two cities to keep residents safe.

Macau’s Chief Executive Ho Iat-seng.


In a press conference on Wednesday, Ho accepted responsibility for the confusion. “I have to say sorry to all residents,” he said.

Ho said the app crashed because officials had rushed to update the software when Zhuhai tightened its border rules to require travellers entering or departing the mainland city to present negative Covid-19 test results issued within 12 hours, instead of 24 hours.

“They changed it suddenly. So we had to make the corresponding change and update the system software,” Ho told reporters.

“But some problems occurred when we did the update. It is out of our control. If not for Zhuhai’s changes, we should have been running smoothly.”

The app was reportedly fixed around 3pm on Wednesday.

Macau upgraded its epidemic prevention measures on Tuesday after a local family of four was confirmed to have caught the Delta variant of Covid-19. The parents were said to have been vaccinated.

Ho said he hoped to contain the local Covid-19 situation within 14 days, so that “normal life” could resume. But the government would call for another round of universal tests if needed, he said.

It was first reported by the Zhuhai health authorities that a couple from Macau had tested positive for Covid-19 there. They returned to Macau on Monday.

The couple’s son and daughter subsequently tested positive for the Delta variant.

It was believed the 12-year-old daughter – who had gone to Xian via Zhuhai last month on a study tour – was the source of the outbreak. She reportedly showed symptoms while in Xian but did not report them to the health authorities before returning to Macau on July 25.

Macau has classified the daughter as an imported case and her three family members as import-related cases.

The authorities also told the Hong Kong government that a close contact of the daughter had returned to Hong Kong with two family members on Monday, triggering an epidemiological investigation and compulsory testing in multiple places in Jordan and Tsim Sha Tsui.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Concerns Mount Over Potential Saudi Uranium Enrichment in Prospective US Nuclear Accord
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
Investability Emerges as the Defining Test of Saudi Arabia’s Next Market Phase
Saudi Arabia’s Packaging Market Accelerates as Sustainability and E-Commerce Drive Transformation
Saudi Arabia’s Strategic Minerals Drive Offers Lessons for Europe’s Supply Chain Ambitions
Saudi Arabia Unveils $32 Billion Push Into Theme Parks and Global Entertainment
Saudi Crude Exports to India Climb Sharply, Closing Gap With Russia
Saudi Arabia’s Halal Cosmetics Market Expands as Faith and Ethical Beauty Drive Growth
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
ImmunityBio Secures Saudi Partnerships to Launch Flagship Cancer Therapy
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Launch Expanded Renewable Energy Partnership
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Saudi Arabia Tops Middle East Green Building Rankings with Record Growth in 2025
Qatar and Saudi Arabia Each Commit One Billion Dollars to President Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ Initiative
Ramadan 2026 Prayer Times Set as Fasting Begins in Saudi Arabia and Egypt Announces Dates
Saudi Arabia Launches Ramadan 2026 Hotel Campaign to Boost Religious and Leisure Tourism
Saudi Arabia Seeks Reroute of Greece-Bound Fibre-Optic Cable Through Syria Instead of Israel
Saudi-Backed Scopely Acquires Majority Stake in Turkey’s Loom Games to Expand Mobile Portfolio
Zodiac Milpro Launches Zid Marine Joint Venture in Saudi Arabia to Expand Regional Shipbuilding
Saudi Arabia Reaffirms Reform Path Amid Claims of Ideological Reversal
Calls Grow for Saudi Arabia and UAE to Settle Differences Through Direct Dialogue
Jensen Huang just told the story of how Elon Musk became NVIDIA’s very first customer for their powerful AI supercomputer
British couple sentenced to 10 years in Iran for espionage
Former British Prince Andrew Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office
Unitree Robotics founder Wang Xingxing showcases future robot deployment during Spring Festival Gala.
Prince William Holds Talks with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman During Saudi Visit
Saudi Arabia’s Humain Commits $3 Billion Investment to Elon Musk’s xAI
SCOPA Executive Unveils Ambitious Relaunch Strategy for Saudi Production Company
Saudi Arabia Sees Rise in Business Visa Rejections Amid Tighter Compliance Checks
Saudi PIF Transfers Take-Two Stake to Savvy Games Group in Strategic Gaming Push
Jimmy Carr Says He ‘Loved’ Saudi Arabia Show Amid Debate Over Performing in the Kingdom
Sotheby’s ‘Origins II’ Auction Signals Saudi Collectors’ Shift Toward Cultural Legacy
EY and Microsoft Deepen Saudi Arabia Partnership with Launch of EY Studio+
Google Pay Launches Support for Mastercard Cards in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia Bolsters Maritime Surveillance Fleet with Four C-27J Patrol Aircraft
Kazakhstan and Saudi Arabia Deepen Strategic Partnership with New Investment and Energy Agreements
Saudi Crown Prince Receives Written Message from Kazakhstan’s President Amid Expanding Strategic Ties
ImmunityBio Shares Rise After Saudi Arabia BCG Manufacturing Update Spurs Investor Optimism
Global Music Star Tyla Confirmed as Headliner at 2026 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix Entertainment Lineup
Somalia and Saudi Arabia Forge New Military Partnership Amid Regional Power Shifts
Saudi Arabia and Several Nations Criticize Israeli West Bank Land Measures as Diplomatic Tensions Rise
Saudi Public Investment Fund Transfers Stake in Take-Two Interactive as Portfolio Strategy Evolves
Saudi Arabia’s Flagship Defense Expo Highlights Industrial Ambitions and Expanding Arms Portfolio
Strategic Divergence Deepens as Saudi Arabia and UAE Recalibrate Gulf Partnership
Saudi Arabia Confirms Start of Ramadan as Crescent Moon Sighted, While Other Nations Begin a Day Later
Rubio Calls for Sweeping U.N. Reform, Saying It Has Failed to End Wars in Gaza and Ukraine
10,000 Condoms Distributed at Winter Olympics 2026 Athlete Village Depleted Within 72 Hours
Prince William Meets Saudi Crown Prince as Epstein-Andrew Fallout Casts Shadow
×