Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Friday, May 22, 2026

'Scary when it's on your doorstep': fear of coronavirus grips Brighton

The council says it is using ‘robust infection control measures’ after fifth case diagnosed
Coronavirus fears gripped Brighton on Monday as the number of people in the city diagnosed with the disease rose to five.

Outside County Oak medical centre, which was closed after a member of staff contracted the virus, a number of local residents spoke of their concerns.

“It’s scary when you look in the windows and see the people in the hazmat suits,” said 23-year-old Ben Swan, a local dog walker. “You hear about it on the news and it sounds like it’s in China, like it’s really far away, but it gets quite scary when it’s round the corner on your doorstep.”

He said he and his partner luckily had not visited the practice in a few months, but that the risk of catching coronavirus ran through his mind when he was travelling around the area.

Melanie Roberts, 48, saw the centre was closed from her house just across the road.

“It’s worrying that it’s so close. My family are fairly young and healthy so hopefully we’ll be OK but it’s worrying for older people, especially if it’s been in a medical centre where people have been in and out who aren’t well – that’s a bit of a problem isn’t it?” said Roberts, a dressmaker with two young children.

“I think people will take more precautions now ... I think it will have an effect on people now in social situations, in pubs and shops and things. Maybe not a week or two ago, but now I think it will affect people quite quickly.”

The third case of coronavirus in the UK was diagnosed in Brighton last Thursday, and the man has since been transferred to St Thomas’ hospital in London for treatment.

Over the weekend the number of UK cases doubled as four more people were diagnosed in Brighton – three men and one woman, all of whom had been in contact with the previously confirmed Brighton case.

However in many parts of Brighton, residents remained unconcerned by the latest developments.

In Hove, the Grenadier pub remains open after a man who was diagnosed with coronavirus was served there a few days ago.

There were about a dozen customers watching football and enjoying a pint on Monday afternoon. Although all staff who were on duty at the time the man was hosted had been told to isolate themselves, there were still plenty of workers behind the bar.

The pub’s spokesperson said: “We are following the advice and working closely with Public Health England who have advised us that there is minimal ongoing risk of infection to either guests or staff, and as such the pub remains open for business as usual.”

At Brighton train station, travellers also seemed unperturbed, despite the giant billboard displaying headlines about the Brighton “super-spreader” – a term used to describe the man who contracted the disease in Singapore and had since passed it on to a number of other persons.

John Stephen, 68, a retired magazine journalist said he was not bothered by the situation, but knew many others were. “There’s a Chinese supermarket down there and I saw some girls walking past covering their faces – it seems to bother other people, but I think a lot of it is racism.”

There were a couple of people wearing protective face masks, but the vast majority around the station were not taking any visible extra precautions.

“I’m not perturbed but I am a little concerned about the racism surrounding it,” Stephen added.

Brighton and Hove city council said it was working closely with Public Health England (PHE) to respond to the situation.

A council statement said: “The latest patients from our city have been transferred to specialist NHS centres, and healthcare workers are using robust infection control measures to prevent any possible further spread of the virus.”

It said PHE was prioritising speaking to those with close and sustained contact with confirmed cases.
Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
The Great Western Exit: Why Best Citizens Are Fleeing the Rich World [PODCAST]
The New Robber Barons of Intelligence: Are AI Bosses More Powerful Than Rockefeller?
The AI Gold Rush Is Coming for America’s Last Open Spaces [Podcast]
The Pentagon’s AI Squeeze: Eight Tech Giants Get In, Anthropic Gets Shut Out [Podcast]
The War Map: Professor Jiang’s Dark Theory of Iran, Trump, China, Russia, Israel, and the Coming Global Shock [Podcast]
AI Isn’t Stealing Your Job. It’s Dismantling It Piece by Piece.
Kennedy’s Quiet War on Antidepressants Sparks Alarm Across America’s Medical Establishment
Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Crosses Hormuz via Iran-Controlled Route
Crypto Scammers Capitalize on Maritime Chaos Near the Strait of Hormuz: A Rising Threat to Shipping Companies
Changi Airport: How Singapore Engineered the World’s Most Efficient Travel Experience
News Roundup
Microsoft lost 2.5 millions users (French government) to Linux
Strategic Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Security Concerns as Trump Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Keeps Red Sea Oil Exports Flowing Despite Regional Tensions
Pipeline Attack Cuts Significant Share of Saudi Arabia’s Oil Export Capacity
Saudi Business Leader Abudawood Appointed Chairman of Merit Incentives Group
TotalEnergies Confirms Damage at Saudi Refinery Following Security Incident
Saudi Arabia Launches Early Construction Phase for King Salman Stadium Project
Saudi Shift Away from Longstanding Dollar Oil Framework Gains Attention Amid Iran Conflict
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Resolve Long-Running Transit Visa Dispute
Saudi Oil Capacity and Pipeline Flows Reduced as Supply Risks Intensify
TotalEnergies Reports Damage to Saudi SATORP Refinery Following Security Incidents
Gulf States Assess Prospects of U.S.-Iran Truce as Regional Stability Efforts Intensify
South Korea Resumes Honey Exports to Saudi Arabia Following Sanitary Approval
Saudi Arabia Carries Out Sentences in Eastern Province Following Security Convictions
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Backs King Street’s Regional Credit Strategy
Saudi Arabia Secures World Cup Return as Egypt Celebrates Landmark Qualification
Iran and Saudi Arabia Intensify Diplomatic Engagement Amid Regional Tensions
Russia and Saudi Arabia Open Visa-Free Travel Corridor for Citizens
Saudi Oil Output Capacity Reduced by 600,000 Barrels Per Day Amid Regional Conflict
Saudi Arabia Suspends Operations at Select Energy Sites as Precautionary Measure
Saudi Arabia Halts Operations at Multiple Energy Facilities Amid Heightened Tensions
Global Markets Jolt as Iran Signals Ceasefire Breakdown and Rising Regional Tensions
King Street Aligns with Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund to Expand Alternative Investments in Middle East
Attack on Saudi Arabia’s Jubail Petrochemical Hub Raises Global Supply Concerns
Debate Emerges Over Saudi Strategic Decisions as Gulf Cooperation Council Dynamics Come Into Focus
Saudi Arabia Expands Full Workforce Localisation to 69 Professions in Major Labour Reform
Emerging Alliance of Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt and Saudi Arabia Signals New Regional Power Dynamic Amid Iran Conflict
Iran Linked to Strikes Across Gulf States Following Refinery Attack Escalation
Saudi Arabia Voices Concern Over Fragile US–Iran Ceasefire Stability
Starmer Warns Sustained Effort Needed to Ensure US–Iran Ceasefire Holds
Saudi Arabia’s Key East-West Oil Pipeline Targeted Following Ceasefire Announcement
Iran Targets Saudi Arabia’s East-West Oil Pipeline in Escalating Regional Tensions
Trump Warns of Civilizational Stakes as Iran Halts Negotiations
Saudi Companies Expand Remote Work Measures Ahead of Iran-Related Security Concerns
Iran Warns of Strikes on Saudi Energy Infrastructure if US Targets Its Facilities
Iran Urges Civilians to Form Human Shields Around Nuclear Sites as Diplomatic Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Raises Oil Prices to Record Premiums Amid Supply Pressures Linked to Iran Conflict
Key Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Heightened Security Concerns Linked to Iran
Formula One Calendar Gap Explained as Fans Await Next Grand Prix
×