Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Friday, Aug 21, 2026

Regiment senior officers appointed

Former UK Royal Dragoon Guard Simon Watson has been appointed commanding officer for the Cayman Islands Regiment.

The Governor’s Office announced Watson’s appointment Wednesday, as well as the recruitment of six junior officers.

Premier Alden McLaughlin, speaking in the Legislative Assembly Thursday, stressed the importance of the development of a regiment, especially in light of Tuesday’s earthquake.

He assured that the regiment will be a pathway for Caymanians to get training and become officers.

“This is a Cayman Islands regiment, it is not some outpost of the British Army,” McLaughlin said in the Legislative Assembly.

It will be a “symbol of pride,” he said.

McLaughlin also addressed the creation of the regiment in the Governor’s Office statement, saying, “We are blessed to live in a country which is safe and has excellent infrastructure but recent history, including this week’s earthquake and the devastating hurricanes that impacted the region in 2017 and 2019, highlight the need to adapt and ensure that we are prepared and resilient to face any threat.”

Watson, the statement said, will be supported in his new role by Simon Spiers, who served in a range of senior roles, including in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Former Trinidad and Tobago judge Andre Mon Desir, who is also a former Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force officer, will serve as legal advisor to the new regiment. He was a senior legal advisor and staff judge advocate for the Defence Force.

The trio has more than 38 years combined of officer experience in the British Army and the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force.

Governor Martyn Roper said he is pleased with the quick establishment of the regiment.
“Its primary focus will be disaster preparedness and it will be up and running by August this year. The events of this week underline the importance of developing a regiment in the Cayman Islands, which will provide resilience against disasters, not only at home, but also to help our fellow Overseas Territories when in need,” Roper said.


Officers head off for training

More than 70 people have applied to serve as officers for the new regiment.

The first six junior officers have been selected and are due to leave for Bermuda next month to attend three weeks of initial training with the Royal Bermuda Regiment. They will also attend officer training at the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst later this year.

Five of the recruits are former members of the Cayman Islands Cadet Corps, with the sixth a Royal Cayman Islands Police Service officer.

The six will serve as full-time officers for a year before becoming reservists and reverting to their previous careers.

The announcement of the creation of the regiment was made late last year during the visit of then UK Minister of State for the Armed Forces Mark Lancaster.

Last month, the National Security Council authorised an initial force of seven officers and 50 reserve volunteers for the regiment.

Roper said he was pleased Watson and the other officers stepped forward and volunteered to serve the Cayman Islands.

“The junior officers will in turn receive some of the best military training available, which will help to develop their leadership potential. We will watch their progress with keen interest,” he added.

Officers will be equipped and provided with uniforms by the UK Government during their basic training in Bermuda.

The Governor’s Office said that, on their return, the officers will assist the senior officers to recruit the first 50 reservists, all of whom will receive basic training in Bermuda in July.

The new team will also be assisted by a Regimental Sergeant Major, who has 13 years of former experience as a non-commissioned officer in the British Army, including operational deployments, training and recruitment roles.

“Having a trained and disciplined force which can be mobilised quickly is vital and will enhance the other initiatives which we have recently introduced including the increased resilience of our air operations unit and the excellent work that (Hazard Management Cayman Islands) does to prepare and coordinate our response to disasters,” the premier said.

He also said he was happy the Cayman Islands Cadet Corps was being developed with the training they will receive, including at Sandhurst.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
AI’s Next Bottleneck Is Power, Not Just Nvidia Chips
Meta Raises AI Spending Target to as Much as $145bn Despite Pressure Over Returns
Joe Biden’s Cancer Has Spread Beyond His Bones, Hunter Biden Says
Why 2027 Could Be a Strong Year for Stocks—and Why the Forecast Is Fragile
Why Markets May Look Quiet in August After Big Tech Earnings
Trump’s Top General Seeks an Exit Strategy From Iran War, Report Says
Brock Lesnar Retires From Wrestling, Closing a Career of Rare Athletic Range and Lasting Controversy
UFO: Pentagon Releases Video of Unidentified Object Tracked Over Middle East
Ukraine Tells Senate Republicans Its Drone War Offers a Blueprint for America
Weight-Loss Drug Boom Tests the Limits of Prescription Advertising Rules
Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Pakistan Sign Mutual-Defence Pact
AI Is Remaking the US Economy, From GDP Growth to iPhone Prices
A SpaceX Rocket Is About to Crash Into the Moon — and Scientists Hope to Watch
Modern Slavery Decisions Broaden the Al Fayed Inquiry’s Frame
FIFA’s Retreat Leaves a Larger Question Over Who Guards the Game
Finland Deploys Commercial-Scale Thermal Batteries Using Crushed Rock to Store Renewable Grid Energy
Valued at $109 Million: F-35B Fighter Jet Crashes in Southern California
US Says It Has Carried Out Heavy Strikes on Iran After Attempted Attacks on Its Forces
Over 24 Hours in the Air: Qantas Airbus Completes Record-Breaking Test Flight
Arrest Warrant Issued in Lebanon for Tycoon Spotted Meeting Netanyahu in Washington
Trump says Israel ‘would not survive’ without US
Nvidia Reportedly Takes Vast Texas Data-Centre Lease to Underwrite AI Expansion
FIFA’s Private-Investment Plan for World Cup Rights Draws European Revolt
Following OpenAI's Cyberattack: 'Most Companies Still Do Not Understand What Is Coming'
OpenAI Sued After ChatGPT Allegedly Discouraged Emergency Care Before Near-Fatal Embolism
Miliband Sets Climate and International Law at Centre of UK Diplomacy
Pentagon Discloses Nearly 100 US Troop Injuries During Renewed Iran Fighting
Trump Readies New Tariffs as Temporary Global Levy Nears Expiry
High Prices Push Coffee Drinkers Toward Whole Beans and Home Brewing
Trump Draws Boos and Podium Scrutiny at Spain’s World Cup Triumph
Spain Defeats Argentina in Extra Time to Win Second World Cup
Turkey Explores S-400 Transfer to UAE in Bid to Rejoin F-35 Program
US Retaliates Against Iran After Two American Troops Killed in Jordan
Proposed U.S.-Saudi Nuclear Pact Could Permit Limited Uranium Enrichment Under International Safeguards
Why Kentucky Fried Chicken Became KFC—and Why the False Explanations Persist
Iran Claims It Destroyed Bahrain’s Main Artificial Intelligence Center in Missile and Drone Strike
Ukrainian Drones Strike Wildberries Warehouses Deep Inside Russia
Reported CIA Mission Helped Clear the UAE’s Path to Advanced US AI Chips
Artificial Intelligence Capital Fuels Markets While Governments and Regulators Face Mounting Strategic Tests
China’s Moonshot’s Kimi K3 Narrows the Gap With Anthropic Through Scale, Openness and Lower Cost
Gold and Cash Seizure Puts Indonesia’s Senior Anti-Corruption Prosecutor Under Investigation
The Ledger Will Not Trust on Faith
Passenger Bound for Germany Refused to Sit Beside a Woman on a Plane — Then Slapped a Flight Attendant
Ukraine’s Leadership Rift Spills Into the Streets as Protesters Target Army Chief
The Ten World Cup Finals That Defined Football History
Smartphones Are Getting More Expensive, Sales Are Collapsing, and Even Apple Admits: "Prices Will Rise"
×