Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Friday, May 22, 2026

Hong Kong developers unlikely to increase prices of new flats as they try to offload 8,500 unsold units, Centaline says

Hong Kong developers unlikely to increase prices of new flats as they try to offload 8,500 unsold units, Centaline says

The developers may be keen to shift the stock because of the government’s proposed ‘vacancy tax’ which would penalise them for holding on to finished units.

Hong Kong builders will probably leave their prices virtually unchanged in the second half of the year, having accumulated close to 8,500 unsold units since 2016, according to Centaline Property Agency.

The developers may be keener than they have been in the past to offload the stock because of the government’s proposed “vacancy tax” which would penalise them for holding on to finished units.

“Developers will hardly want to increase selling prices by 20 to 30 per cent like they did in the first half of this year as buyers will have more choices,” said Wong Leung-sing, a senior associate director at Centaline Property Agency.

“Developers will release additional units in the subsequent batches either at the same as the launch price or just edged up a by meagre increase.”

Although still high at 8,500, the number of unsold apartments in Hong Kong has declined for three consecutive months as developers sped up sales in the first half of the year to cash in on positive market sentiment and to avoid the new levy on unoccupied flats. The agent said there were 10,000 unsold units in 2018.

“The vacancy tax may be one of the reasons for the fall in their holdings of unsold flats,” said Wong.

On Wednesday, Great Eagle Holdings released a new project, Ontolo, with prices starting at HK$11,446 per square foot, the cheapest on the market in the upscale residential area Pak Shek Kok, near the Science Park.

Lived-in homes in the city dropped 1 per cent to an average of HK$13,606 per square foot last month after hitting a record in May, according to Midland Realty. Still, prices have increased almost 10 per cent since January.

Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor proposed the vacancy tax last year as part of efforts to curb runaway property prices by forcing developers to add more housing to the city’s supply.

Some developers had held on to finished units for more than a decade as they waited for the right moment to cash in.

Under the proposal, completed homes left unsold for more than six months after receiving an occupation permit would be liable to a levy of 5 per cent of the property value.

According to government figures, 9,000 private flats with occupation permits currently remain unsold since their completion in 2012.

Centaline said its data covered 62,177 units at 108 new residential projects launched for sale since 2016.

Wong expected the number of unsold, completed new flats would be below the government’s estimate of 9,000 by the end of this year.

Of the unsold flats, the eastern part of the New Territories has 3,074 units available for sale, according to Centaline.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
The Great Western Exit: Why Best Citizens Are Fleeing the Rich World [PODCAST]
The New Robber Barons of Intelligence: Are AI Bosses More Powerful Than Rockefeller?
The AI Gold Rush Is Coming for America’s Last Open Spaces [Podcast]
The Pentagon’s AI Squeeze: Eight Tech Giants Get In, Anthropic Gets Shut Out [Podcast]
The War Map: Professor Jiang’s Dark Theory of Iran, Trump, China, Russia, Israel, and the Coming Global Shock [Podcast]
AI Isn’t Stealing Your Job. It’s Dismantling It Piece by Piece.
Kennedy’s Quiet War on Antidepressants Sparks Alarm Across America’s Medical Establishment
Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Crosses Hormuz via Iran-Controlled Route
Crypto Scammers Capitalize on Maritime Chaos Near the Strait of Hormuz: A Rising Threat to Shipping Companies
Changi Airport: How Singapore Engineered the World’s Most Efficient Travel Experience
News Roundup
Microsoft lost 2.5 millions users (French government) to Linux
Strategic Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Security Concerns as Trump Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Keeps Red Sea Oil Exports Flowing Despite Regional Tensions
Pipeline Attack Cuts Significant Share of Saudi Arabia’s Oil Export Capacity
Saudi Business Leader Abudawood Appointed Chairman of Merit Incentives Group
TotalEnergies Confirms Damage at Saudi Refinery Following Security Incident
Saudi Arabia Launches Early Construction Phase for King Salman Stadium Project
Saudi Shift Away from Longstanding Dollar Oil Framework Gains Attention Amid Iran Conflict
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Resolve Long-Running Transit Visa Dispute
Saudi Oil Capacity and Pipeline Flows Reduced as Supply Risks Intensify
TotalEnergies Reports Damage to Saudi SATORP Refinery Following Security Incidents
Gulf States Assess Prospects of U.S.-Iran Truce as Regional Stability Efforts Intensify
South Korea Resumes Honey Exports to Saudi Arabia Following Sanitary Approval
Saudi Arabia Carries Out Sentences in Eastern Province Following Security Convictions
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Backs King Street’s Regional Credit Strategy
Saudi Arabia Secures World Cup Return as Egypt Celebrates Landmark Qualification
Iran and Saudi Arabia Intensify Diplomatic Engagement Amid Regional Tensions
Russia and Saudi Arabia Open Visa-Free Travel Corridor for Citizens
Saudi Oil Output Capacity Reduced by 600,000 Barrels Per Day Amid Regional Conflict
Saudi Arabia Suspends Operations at Select Energy Sites as Precautionary Measure
Saudi Arabia Halts Operations at Multiple Energy Facilities Amid Heightened Tensions
Global Markets Jolt as Iran Signals Ceasefire Breakdown and Rising Regional Tensions
King Street Aligns with Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund to Expand Alternative Investments in Middle East
Attack on Saudi Arabia’s Jubail Petrochemical Hub Raises Global Supply Concerns
Debate Emerges Over Saudi Strategic Decisions as Gulf Cooperation Council Dynamics Come Into Focus
Saudi Arabia Expands Full Workforce Localisation to 69 Professions in Major Labour Reform
Emerging Alliance of Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt and Saudi Arabia Signals New Regional Power Dynamic Amid Iran Conflict
Iran Linked to Strikes Across Gulf States Following Refinery Attack Escalation
Saudi Arabia Voices Concern Over Fragile US–Iran Ceasefire Stability
Starmer Warns Sustained Effort Needed to Ensure US–Iran Ceasefire Holds
Saudi Arabia’s Key East-West Oil Pipeline Targeted Following Ceasefire Announcement
Iran Targets Saudi Arabia’s East-West Oil Pipeline in Escalating Regional Tensions
Trump Warns of Civilizational Stakes as Iran Halts Negotiations
Saudi Companies Expand Remote Work Measures Ahead of Iran-Related Security Concerns
Iran Warns of Strikes on Saudi Energy Infrastructure if US Targets Its Facilities
Iran Urges Civilians to Form Human Shields Around Nuclear Sites as Diplomatic Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Raises Oil Prices to Record Premiums Amid Supply Pressures Linked to Iran Conflict
Key Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Heightened Security Concerns Linked to Iran
Formula One Calendar Gap Explained as Fans Await Next Grand Prix
×