Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Saturday, Nov 29, 2025

Former Saudi spy chief wins evidence order in US court battle

Former Saudi spy chief wins evidence order in US court battle

US judge rules Air Canada and Lufthansa airlines must preserve flight records that Saad al-Jabri says show the travel to Canada of the assassins allegedly sent to kill him
A United States district judge has ordered two airlines to preserve a set of flight records that former Saudi intelligence chief Saad al-Jabri argues is essential to his legal battle against Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (MBS).

The judge issued a preservation order, seen by Middle East Eye, which states that Air Canada and Lufthansa must not destroy any evidence showing that Saudi agents identified by Jabri had travelled on flights to Canada.

He ruled the records must be readily available if the ongoing lawsuit against MBS survives a motion to dismiss it.

"The Court finds that there is substantial reason to believe that the airlines—Air Canada and Lufthansa—will fail to preserve the evidence [Jabri] has identified," said the order, filed on Thursday.

It added that "the destruction of the evidence would result in irreparable harm because, once destroyed, the evidence cannot be used for any purpose and cannot be recreated".

The order comes after Jabri filed a motion earlier this month to subpoena the two airlines for the set of flight records, which he alleges show that members of a Saudi hit team - known as the Tiger Squad and whose existence was first revealed by MEE - travelled on the two airlines to Canada in an attempt to kill him in 2018.

In the motion, Jabri says that Air Canada confirmed "that relevant information pertaining to the Tiger Squad’s October 2018 flight to Canada" did exist, but refused to take any steps to preserve the evidence without a court order.

While the judge dismissed Jabri's motion, saying it was too early to bring the records to court, the decision could eventually provide the essential evidence Jabri needs to help his legal case.

"This is a significant step towards holding MBS accountable for an ongoing transnational repression campaign against al-Jabri family that included an attempt on Dr Saad’s life and kidnapping two of his children," a source familiar with the case and the plight of the Jabri family told MEE.

"It is a significant win because MBS’s lawyers and his co-counsel in their desperate opposition to the production of these documents have basically shown their hands. They are concerned and so is MBS."

A spokesperson for Lufthansa told MEE that the company "does not comment on ongoing investigations and legal disputes".

Air Canada did not respond to MEE's request for comment.
Transnational legal battle

Jabri, a former top Saudi counterterrorism official who had close ties with the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in the US, has been fighting a multi-fronted legal battle against MBS in US and Canadian courts, after first filing a lawsuit against the crown prince in August 2020.

He alleges MBS sent members of the "Tiger Squad" to assassinate him in Canada, just weeks after the murder of Saudi journalist and MEE columnist Jamal Khashoggi. The plot was ultimately foiled after the individuals failed to pass border control.

In January, a group of Saudi state-run companies filed a lawsuit against Jabri in Canada, accusing him of embezzling billions of dollars - the court subsequently ordered a worldwide asset freeze on him.

A source close to Jabri previously dismissed the allegations brought forward by the Saudi companies as a "blind vendetta", and denied any financial wrongdoings.

The former top intelligence officer was the second-in-command in the kingdom's Interior Ministry before he fled in 2017 shortly before his boss, former Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Nayef was put under house arrest and replaced by his cousin, MBS.

He had also been a key go-between for western spy agencies and the Saudi intelligence apparatus and has been credited by US lawmakers with saving the lives of hundreds of Americans.

He is believed to be one of several prominent Saudis, including princes and dissidents, targeted by the Saudi hit squad.

Earlier this year, a group of top US senators urged President Joe Biden to personally advocate for the release of Jabri's two children, Omar and Sarah, both of whom were arrested in March 2020 and held incommunicado until January 2021, according to the Human Rights Watch (HRW).

HRW said Omar was sentenced to nine years and Sarah was sentenced to six, on charges of "money laundering" and "attempting to escape" Saudi Arabia.

MEE reached out to the Saudi embassy in Washington and the attorneys for the defendants in the US court case, including MBS's lawyer, but did not receive a response by time of publication.
Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Will Saudi Arabia End Up Bankrolling Israel’s Post-Ceasefire Order in Lebanon?
Saudi Arabia’s SAMAI Initiative Surpasses One-Million-Citizen Milestone in National AI Upskilling Drive
Saudi Arabia’s Specialty Coffee Market Set to Surge as Demand Soars and New Exhibition Drops in December
Saudi Arabia Moves to Open Two New Alcohol Stores for Foreigners Under Vision 2030 Reform
Saudi Arabia’s AI Ambitions Gain Momentum — but Water, Talent and Infrastructure Pose Major Hurdles
Tensions Surface in Trump-MBS Talks as Saudi Pushes Back on Israel Normalisation
Saudi Arabia Signals Major Maritime Crack-Down on Houthi Routes in Red Sea
Italy and Saudi Arabia Seal Over 20 Strategic Deals at Business Forum in Riyadh
COP30 Ends Without Fossil Fuel Phase-Out as US, Saudi Arabia and Russia Align in Obstruction Role
Saudi-Portuguese Economic Horizons Expand Through Strategic Business Council
DHL Commits $150 Million for Landmark Logistics Hub in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Aramco Weighs Disposals Amid $10 Billion-Plus Asset Sales Discussion
Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince for Major Defence and Investment Agreements
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
Riyadh Metro Records Over One Hundred Million Journeys as Saudi Capital Accelerates Transit Era
Trump’s Grand Saudi Welcome Highlights U.S.–Riyadh Pivot as Israel Watches Warily
U.S. Set to Sell F-35 Jets to Saudi Arabia in Major Strategic Shift
Saudi Arabia Doubles Down on U.S. Partnership in Strategic Move
Saudi Arabia Charts Tech and Nuclear Leap Under Crown Prince’s U.S. Visit
Trump Elevates Saudi Arabia to Major Non-NATO Ally Amid Defense Deal
Trump Elevates Saudi Arabia to Major Non-NATO Ally as MBS Visit Yields Deepened Ties
Iran Appeals to Saudi Arabia to Mediate Restart of U.S. Nuclear Talks
Musk, Barra and Ford Join Trump in Lavish White House Dinner for Saudi Crown Prince
Lawmaker Seeks Declassification of ‘Shocking’ 2019 Call Between Trump and Saudi Crown Prince
US and Saudi Arabia Forge Strategic Defence Pact Featuring F-35 Sale and $1 Trillion Investment Pledge
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Emerges as Key Contender in Warner Bros. Discovery Sale
Trump Secures Sweeping U.S.–Saudi Agreements on Jets, Technology and Massive Investment
Detroit CEOs Join White House Dinner as U.S.–Saudi Auto Deal Accelerates
Netanyahu Secures U.S. Assurance That Israel’s Qualitative Military Edge Will Remain Despite Saudi F-35 Deal
Ronaldo Joins Trump and Saudi Crown Prince’s Gala Amid U.S.–Gulf Tech and Investment Surge
U.S.–Saudi Investment Forum Sees U.S. Corporate Titans and Saudi Royalty Forge Billion-Dollar Ties
Elon Musk’s xAI to Deploy 500-Megawatt Saudi Data Centre with State-backed Partner HUMAIN
U.S. Clears Export of Advanced AI Chips to Saudi Arabia and UAE Amid Strategic Tech Partnership
xAI Selects Saudi Data-Centre as First Customer of Nvidia-Backed Humain Project
A Decade of Innovation Stagnation at Apple: The Cook Era Critique
President Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in Washington Amid Strategic Deal Talks
Saudi Crown Prince to Press Trump for Direct U.S. Role in Ending Sudan War
Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince: Five Key Takeaways from the White House Meeting
Trump Firmly Defends Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Murder Amid Washington Visit
Trump Backs Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Killing Amid White House Visit
Trump Publicly Defends Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Killing During Washington Visit
President Donald Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman at White House to Seal Major Defence and Investment Deals
Saudi Arabia’s Solar Surge Signals Unlikely Shift in Global Oil Powerhouse
Saudi Crown Prince Receives Letter from Iranian President Ahead of U.S. Visit
Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Begins Washington Visit to Cement Long-Term U.S. Alliance
Saudi Crown Prince Meets Trump in Washington to Deepen Defence, AI and Nuclear Ties
Saudi Arabia Accelerates Global Mining Strategy to Build a New Economic Pillar
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman Arrives in Washington to Reset U.S.–Saudi Strategic Alliance
Saudi-Israeli Normalisation Deal Looms, But Riyadh Insists on Proceeding After Israeli Elections
Saudis Prioritise US Defence Pact and AI Deals, While Israel Normalisation Takes Back Seat
×