Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Friday, May 22, 2026

Wear masks in crowded places to combat coronavirus, World Health Organisation finally advises the public

Wear masks in crowded places to combat coronavirus, World Health Organisation finally advises the public

WHO recommends expanded use of face masks after five months of debate. Conclusion supports early adoption of protective equipment in Asian centres such as Hong Kong.

After more than five months of the coronavirus pandemic, the World Health Organisation is advising the public to wear masks on public transport and in crowded areas.

The change was announced as the WHO issued a new set of detailed guidelines on the use of masks.

“In light of evolving evidence, WHO advises that governments should encourage the general public to wear masks where there is widespread transmission and physical distancing is difficult, such as on public transport, in shops or in other confined or crowded environments,” WHO director general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a news conference on Friday.

The new guidelines said that vulnerable groups such as the elderly and people with jobs that interacted with the public, such as social workers and cashiers, should wear masks.

Until April, WHO, the United Nations health agency, had been advising policymakers and the public that only coronavirus patients, health workers and carers should wear masks.

In guidelines issued in January and March, the WHO said that “a medical mask is not required for people who are not sick as there is no evidence of its usefulness in protecting them”.

It shifted its position on April 6, saying there was “limited evidence” showing that masks might offer protection to healthy individuals at mass gatherings. But it stopped short of generally advising healthy individuals to wear masks outside.

“The wider use of masks by healthy people in the community setting is not supported by current evidence and carries uncertainties and critical risks,” the agency said in advice to policymakers on April 6.



WHO said it had updated its recommendations after considering scientific studies, the prevalence of pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic transmissions and the difficulties of social distancing.

The WHO ‘s new recommendations followed a study it financed, the results of which were published in the British medical journal The Lancet on Monday.

After reviewing 172 observational studies across 16 countries and six continents, and 44 relevant comparative studies, the researchers concluded that wearing face masks could help reduce the transmission of diseases caused by coronaviruses, including Covid-19, severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars) and Middle East respiratory syndrome.

“These data also suggest that wearing face masks protects people (both health care workers and the general public) against infection by these coronaviruses, and that eye protection could confer additional benefit,” said the researchers, led by Derek Chu of McMaster University in Canada.



There has been a divide between East and West over whether healthy people should wear masks in public.

In many Asian countries and cities, including mainland China and Hong Kong – which experienced Sars 17 years ago – , the public adopted the practice from the earliest days of the pandemic.

Gao Fu, head of the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, has repeatedly said that wearing masks is an important public health measure to reduce transmission.

In Hong Kong, one of the cities with the lowest rates of infection, wearing face masks is not compulsory but many of its residents have done so on the advice of health experts.

Officials and health specialists in many Western countries only began to advise the public to wear masks in April.

Since then, a number of countries including Germany, Austria and some US states and cities, such as New York, have made it compulsory for people to wear masks in the public.

But there has also been resistance at the top, with US President Donald Trump sharing a tweet in late May arguing that the mandated use of face masks to control the spread of the coronavirus represented a “culture of silence, slavery and social death”.




Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
The Great Western Exit: Why Best Citizens Are Fleeing the Rich World [PODCAST]
The New Robber Barons of Intelligence: Are AI Bosses More Powerful Than Rockefeller?
The AI Gold Rush Is Coming for America’s Last Open Spaces [Podcast]
The Pentagon’s AI Squeeze: Eight Tech Giants Get In, Anthropic Gets Shut Out [Podcast]
The War Map: Professor Jiang’s Dark Theory of Iran, Trump, China, Russia, Israel, and the Coming Global Shock [Podcast]
AI Isn’t Stealing Your Job. It’s Dismantling It Piece by Piece.
Kennedy’s Quiet War on Antidepressants Sparks Alarm Across America’s Medical Establishment
Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Crosses Hormuz via Iran-Controlled Route
Crypto Scammers Capitalize on Maritime Chaos Near the Strait of Hormuz: A Rising Threat to Shipping Companies
Changi Airport: How Singapore Engineered the World’s Most Efficient Travel Experience
News Roundup
Microsoft lost 2.5 millions users (French government) to Linux
Strategic Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Security Concerns as Trump Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Keeps Red Sea Oil Exports Flowing Despite Regional Tensions
Pipeline Attack Cuts Significant Share of Saudi Arabia’s Oil Export Capacity
Saudi Business Leader Abudawood Appointed Chairman of Merit Incentives Group
TotalEnergies Confirms Damage at Saudi Refinery Following Security Incident
Saudi Arabia Launches Early Construction Phase for King Salman Stadium Project
Saudi Shift Away from Longstanding Dollar Oil Framework Gains Attention Amid Iran Conflict
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Resolve Long-Running Transit Visa Dispute
Saudi Oil Capacity and Pipeline Flows Reduced as Supply Risks Intensify
TotalEnergies Reports Damage to Saudi SATORP Refinery Following Security Incidents
Gulf States Assess Prospects of U.S.-Iran Truce as Regional Stability Efforts Intensify
South Korea Resumes Honey Exports to Saudi Arabia Following Sanitary Approval
Saudi Arabia Carries Out Sentences in Eastern Province Following Security Convictions
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Backs King Street’s Regional Credit Strategy
Saudi Arabia Secures World Cup Return as Egypt Celebrates Landmark Qualification
Iran and Saudi Arabia Intensify Diplomatic Engagement Amid Regional Tensions
Russia and Saudi Arabia Open Visa-Free Travel Corridor for Citizens
Saudi Oil Output Capacity Reduced by 600,000 Barrels Per Day Amid Regional Conflict
Saudi Arabia Suspends Operations at Select Energy Sites as Precautionary Measure
Saudi Arabia Halts Operations at Multiple Energy Facilities Amid Heightened Tensions
Global Markets Jolt as Iran Signals Ceasefire Breakdown and Rising Regional Tensions
King Street Aligns with Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund to Expand Alternative Investments in Middle East
Attack on Saudi Arabia’s Jubail Petrochemical Hub Raises Global Supply Concerns
Debate Emerges Over Saudi Strategic Decisions as Gulf Cooperation Council Dynamics Come Into Focus
Saudi Arabia Expands Full Workforce Localisation to 69 Professions in Major Labour Reform
Emerging Alliance of Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt and Saudi Arabia Signals New Regional Power Dynamic Amid Iran Conflict
Iran Linked to Strikes Across Gulf States Following Refinery Attack Escalation
Saudi Arabia Voices Concern Over Fragile US–Iran Ceasefire Stability
Starmer Warns Sustained Effort Needed to Ensure US–Iran Ceasefire Holds
Saudi Arabia’s Key East-West Oil Pipeline Targeted Following Ceasefire Announcement
Iran Targets Saudi Arabia’s East-West Oil Pipeline in Escalating Regional Tensions
Trump Warns of Civilizational Stakes as Iran Halts Negotiations
Saudi Companies Expand Remote Work Measures Ahead of Iran-Related Security Concerns
Iran Warns of Strikes on Saudi Energy Infrastructure if US Targets Its Facilities
Iran Urges Civilians to Form Human Shields Around Nuclear Sites as Diplomatic Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Raises Oil Prices to Record Premiums Amid Supply Pressures Linked to Iran Conflict
Key Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Heightened Security Concerns Linked to Iran
Formula One Calendar Gap Explained as Fans Await Next Grand Prix
×