Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Sunday, Nov 30, 2025

Lebanon launches cash card aid, despite funding shortfall

Lebanon launches cash card aid, despite funding shortfall

Lebanon opened registration for two cash assistance programmes to help 700,000 vulnerable families cope with the withdrawal of subsidies.

Following months of delays, and with only some of the funding secured, Lebanon on Wednesday opened registration for two cash assistance programmes to help 700,000 vulnerable families cope with the withdrawal of crucial subsidies.

Social Affairs Minister Hector Hajjar said at the launch event at the Grand Serail in downtown Beirut, where Prime Minister Najib Mikati, lawmakers, and diplomats were in attendance, that the cash assistance initiatives are only meant to provide temporary relief.

“These programmes are not the solution,” he said.

Registration for the initiatives will remain open until the end of January.

First announced last September under former Prime Minister Hassan Diab’s caretaker government, the roll-out of the programmes had been hampered by technical and administrative problems, said officials.

But funding shortfalls have also been an issue.

The World Bank has secured a $246m loan to fully fund one programme – called Aman – that aims to give 150,000 families roughly $150 a month each and cover $200 in school costs for 87,000 secondary students. All payments for the Aman programme will be denominated in United States dollars.

But the ration card programme, which comes with an estimated price tag of $556m to provide up to $126 a month for eligible families, has yet to secure a confirmed source of funding. It is also unclear whether the cash will be distributed in US dollars or in Lebanese pounds – a crucial distinction given the pound is subject to sudden, violent depreciations that can easily erode the benefit’s purchasing power.

Hajjar said that talks between the government and World Bank are in “advanced stages” to secure funding for the ration card programme.

World Bank Regional Director of the Mashreq Department Saroj Kumar Jha told Al Jazeera that the Lebanese government has sent a formal request to secure funding, but that no amount has been confirmed yet. He also said that he does not expect the World Bank will fund the entire programme, and that the Lebanese government needs to earmark funds for the programme from its 2022 national budget.

“This is how sustainability comes,” Jha said. “You need to better allocate resources for the need of the people.”

For more than two years, Lebanon has been in throes of a crippling economic crisis that has decimated lives and livelihoods. Over three-quarters of the population now lives in poverty, while the Lebanese pound has lost 90 percent of its value.

With the economy in tatters and no viable productive sector, the government has resorted to taking out loans from multiple lenders simultaneously to try and keep the country functioning at a bare minimum.

The government initially intended to introduce the targeted cash assistance programmes as an immediate replacement for expensive blanket subsidies for petrol, fuel, wheat and medicine that cost the state around $7bn every year.

With foreign reserves dwindling at the Banque du Liban, the central bank, the government and some economic experts have argued that directing what’s left of the country’s financial resources to the poorest households would be far more effective than universal subsidies, especially in the absence of a viable social security programme.

However, due to political squabbling and paralysis, Lebanon started to lift subsidies without the cash assistance programmes in place to cushion the blow for the poorest households.

Over the summer, the government started to roll back fuel and petrol subsidies. It partially withdrew medicine subsidies last month, and continues to gradually hike bread prices.

Hajjar insisted that the government has been working “nonstop” to roll out cash assistance and that the failure to time the withdrawal of subsidies with the implementation of the new benefits was due to administrative and technical problems.

“Despite all our efforts, the worsening economic crisis was faster, especially with the lifting of subsidies of key goods,” he said.

Corruption and distrust


Activists and the international community continue to urge Lebanon to pass and implement anticorruption and transparency laws. But corruption remains endemic.

During Wednesday’s press conference, Hajjar and Central Inspection Bureau Director Georges Attieh tried to alleviate fears that corruption and political nepotism will determine who is eligible for cash assistance.

Families apply through a digital platform and have to go through what the authorities describe as a rigorous vetting process to ensure that they meet requirements. The United Nations’ World Food Programme, World Bank, and eventually an independent third-party company are supposed to follow up and monitor the programme’s implementation.

“Everything is fully digitised without any chance for someone to interference or doctor the data,” Hajjar said. “I will repeat this because people say this is an elections card.”

But elections are slated for late March – the first parliamentary elections in Lebanon since the economic crisis took hold. Activists and economic experts have speculated that the cash card programmes will be used by Lebanon’s ruling parties as a patronage tool to cement political loyalty.

Even more concerning, experts say, is that the programmes are launching in the absence of a wider financial and economic recovery plan – which means recipients may face worse conditions than the aid is designed to deal with. The Lebanese pound continues to fluctuate daily, and inflation is soaring.

The government hopes to reach a preliminary agreement with the International Monetary Fund for a bailout by the end of the year. But the past two years have seen virtually no movement by subsequent governments on producing a credible reform blueprint that is a precondition for unlocking billions of dollars in international aid.

Postdoctoral research fellow in finance at University College Dublin Mohamad Faour told Al Jazeera that without such reforms, the cash assistance programmes will only bring partial relief to struggling families.

“It’s merely an ad hoc measure, if we are to assume that it’s done in good intentions – as difficult as it is,” he said. “Given that it’s implemented in the absence of a broader economic and financial stabilisation plan, there are questions about its viability in the medium to long term.”

Faour says he can’t help but feel “very sceptical” about the timing of the programme’s launch on Wednesday, given elections are right around the corner.

“The way things are moving, the political class wants to move in the direction where we have a society that is heavily dependent on aid,” he said.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Will Saudi Arabia End Up Bankrolling Israel’s Post-Ceasefire Order in Lebanon?
Saudi Arabia’s SAMAI Initiative Surpasses One-Million-Citizen Milestone in National AI Upskilling Drive
Saudi Arabia’s Specialty Coffee Market Set to Surge as Demand Soars and New Exhibition Drops in December
Saudi Arabia Moves to Open Two New Alcohol Stores for Foreigners Under Vision 2030 Reform
Saudi Arabia’s AI Ambitions Gain Momentum — but Water, Talent and Infrastructure Pose Major Hurdles
Tensions Surface in Trump-MBS Talks as Saudi Pushes Back on Israel Normalisation
Saudi Arabia Signals Major Maritime Crack-Down on Houthi Routes in Red Sea
Italy and Saudi Arabia Seal Over 20 Strategic Deals at Business Forum in Riyadh
COP30 Ends Without Fossil Fuel Phase-Out as US, Saudi Arabia and Russia Align in Obstruction Role
Saudi-Portuguese Economic Horizons Expand Through Strategic Business Council
DHL Commits $150 Million for Landmark Logistics Hub in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Aramco Weighs Disposals Amid $10 Billion-Plus Asset Sales Discussion
Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince for Major Defence and Investment Agreements
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
Riyadh Metro Records Over One Hundred Million Journeys as Saudi Capital Accelerates Transit Era
Trump’s Grand Saudi Welcome Highlights U.S.–Riyadh Pivot as Israel Watches Warily
U.S. Set to Sell F-35 Jets to Saudi Arabia in Major Strategic Shift
Saudi Arabia Doubles Down on U.S. Partnership in Strategic Move
Saudi Arabia Charts Tech and Nuclear Leap Under Crown Prince’s U.S. Visit
Trump Elevates Saudi Arabia to Major Non-NATO Ally Amid Defense Deal
Trump Elevates Saudi Arabia to Major Non-NATO Ally as MBS Visit Yields Deepened Ties
Iran Appeals to Saudi Arabia to Mediate Restart of U.S. Nuclear Talks
Musk, Barra and Ford Join Trump in Lavish White House Dinner for Saudi Crown Prince
Lawmaker Seeks Declassification of ‘Shocking’ 2019 Call Between Trump and Saudi Crown Prince
US and Saudi Arabia Forge Strategic Defence Pact Featuring F-35 Sale and $1 Trillion Investment Pledge
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Emerges as Key Contender in Warner Bros. Discovery Sale
Trump Secures Sweeping U.S.–Saudi Agreements on Jets, Technology and Massive Investment
Detroit CEOs Join White House Dinner as U.S.–Saudi Auto Deal Accelerates
Netanyahu Secures U.S. Assurance That Israel’s Qualitative Military Edge Will Remain Despite Saudi F-35 Deal
Ronaldo Joins Trump and Saudi Crown Prince’s Gala Amid U.S.–Gulf Tech and Investment Surge
U.S.–Saudi Investment Forum Sees U.S. Corporate Titans and Saudi Royalty Forge Billion-Dollar Ties
Elon Musk’s xAI to Deploy 500-Megawatt Saudi Data Centre with State-backed Partner HUMAIN
U.S. Clears Export of Advanced AI Chips to Saudi Arabia and UAE Amid Strategic Tech Partnership
xAI Selects Saudi Data-Centre as First Customer of Nvidia-Backed Humain Project
A Decade of Innovation Stagnation at Apple: The Cook Era Critique
President Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in Washington Amid Strategic Deal Talks
Saudi Crown Prince to Press Trump for Direct U.S. Role in Ending Sudan War
Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince: Five Key Takeaways from the White House Meeting
Trump Firmly Defends Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Murder Amid Washington Visit
Trump Backs Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Killing Amid White House Visit
Trump Publicly Defends Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Killing During Washington Visit
President Donald Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman at White House to Seal Major Defence and Investment Deals
Saudi Arabia’s Solar Surge Signals Unlikely Shift in Global Oil Powerhouse
Saudi Crown Prince Receives Letter from Iranian President Ahead of U.S. Visit
Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Begins Washington Visit to Cement Long-Term U.S. Alliance
Saudi Crown Prince Meets Trump in Washington to Deepen Defence, AI and Nuclear Ties
Saudi Arabia Accelerates Global Mining Strategy to Build a New Economic Pillar
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman Arrives in Washington to Reset U.S.–Saudi Strategic Alliance
Saudi-Israeli Normalisation Deal Looms, But Riyadh Insists on Proceeding After Israeli Elections
Saudis Prioritise US Defence Pact and AI Deals, While Israel Normalisation Takes Back Seat
×