Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Friday, May 22, 2026

Facebook, US states join Harvard, MIT’s fight against Trump administration directive to deport online-only foreign students

Tech firms argue the directive violates a federal law meant to protect businesses from arbitrary decisions that could adversely affect operationsใ Government argues that earlier guidance warned that international students’ ability to remain in US for online courses was subject to change

Facebook, the US Chamber of Commerce and more than a dozen other tech firms and business advocacy groups aligned to support Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in their bid to fight a US government directive that threatens to deport thousands of international students.

Google, Twitter and Spotify are also signatories to the amicus brief filed on Monday with the US District Court in Boston, Massachusetts, arguing that the directive issued by the US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and its Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) division last week violated a decades-old federal law meant to protect businesses from arbitrary decisions that could adversely affect business operations.

“The Administrative Procedure Act [APA] required defendants … to consider the serious consequences for the US business community and the entire economy that would result from a directive requiring more than half of all international students to leave the country, and also to take account of the substantial reliance interests of US companies that would be disrupted by such a decision,” said the brief filed by Facebook.

Enacted in 1946, the APA requires agencies of the US government to, among other provisions, provide for public participation in their rule-making process, for instance through public commenting. Part of Harvard and MIT’s argument against ICE’s move includes the fact that there was no notice-and-comment period.

Scores of US states, municipalities and the District of Columbia have also joined the effort to block ICE’s move as the spread of Covid-19 in the country raises the risk that full classrooms will only exacerbate the pandemic.

On July 6, ICE rescinded the right of international students to remain in the US while taking online-only courses – an allowance granted in March in response to the coronavirus pandemic. The move gives universities offering online-only instruction until Wednesday to file “operational change plans”.

Schools offering a mix of online and in-person instruction to reduce the number of people on campus must issue certifications by August 4 for each international student remaining in the US for such a curriculum that they are taking a minimum number of online classes. These certifications could number “in the thousands per university”, according to Harvard and MIT’s complaint.

In a response filed on Monday on behalf of DHS and ICE, US Attorney Andrew Lelling pointed out that the ICE’s guidance in March, issued by its Student and Exchange Visitor Programme (SEVP), included a subject-to-change disclaimer, adding that “SEVP will continue to monitor the Covid-19 situation and will adjust its guidance as needed”.

“SEVP guidance has repeatedly advised stakeholders that the agency’s position during the pandemic is fluid. Given the volatile nature of the pandemic, SEVP guidance warns all schools and students – the guidance may be altered or superseded at any time,” Lelling said in the court document. “At no time did the agency issue a final rule limiting SEVP’s discretionary enforcement authority during the pandemic.”

Lelling further argued that “the July 6 policy announcement was not subject to the APA’s notice-and-comment requirements because it was not a legislative rule but, at most, a statement of policy”.

“The APA provides an exception to its notice-and-comment requirements for ‘general statements of policy’,” he said.

Meanwhile, Harvard, MIT and those supporting their case have cited the volatile nature of the pandemic to argue for more forbearance.

“For many students, returning to their home countries to participate in online instruction is impossible, impracticable, prohibitively expensive and/or dangerous”, according to Harvard and MIT’s complaint, which called the move “a cudgel to compel universities to alter their plans for the fall”.

The directive comes as the number of Covid-19 cases in the US continues to rise, forcing some state and local governments, including California’s, to close businesses that were allowed to reopen in recent weeks.

Health authorities in the US have confirmed more than 3.3 million cases and more than 135,000 deaths, according to a tally by The New York Times.

“The Trump administration didn’t even attempt to explain the basis for this senseless rule, which forces schools to choose between keeping their international students enrolled and protecting the health and safety of their campuses,” Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey, whose office is leading a separate lawsuit on behalf of a coalition of 17 states and Washington, DC. The states include California, New York and Pennsylvania.

Another amicus brief in support of Harvard and MIT was filed by a group led by the municipal governments of Los Angeles and Boston.

“There are more than 20,000 international students enrolled in colleges and universities located in the city of Los Angeles for the fall,” the document said. “Between Boston, Cambridge, Somerville and surrounding suburban areas, there are tens of thousands more.”

“All of those students will be affected by the outcome of this matter, and all of them are part of the economic engine fuelling … communities,” the amicus brief said. “For example, in New York City, international students contribute more than US$3 billion in economic value annually.”

More than a dozen amicus briefs have been filed, some jointly among many schools and others by one organisation seeking to bolster Harvard and MIT’s case, including the American Federation of Teachers, the American Physical Society and the American Council on Education.

A brief filed by United Chinese Americans (UCA), an advocacy group that seeks to boost political engagement among its namesake community, is the only one that references a specific ethnic group. The group’s document alleges that the Trump administration is unlawfully using the pandemic to clear foreign students from American campuses.

“The physical distance between the United States and China, together with the suspension of regularly scheduled airline traffic resulting from the pandemic, forces irrational and impossible decisions to try and comply with the defendants’ directive,” UCA’s brief said. “As universities adjust to changing conditions during the course of the fall semester, it is not clear that it will be physically possible for foreign students to comply.”

“The obvious choice then becomes whether or not to abandon studies in the United States,” UCA said. “Congress created the foreign student programme almost 100 years ago, and defendants cannot take steps to eliminate this programme using the excuse of a global pandemic to change rules and create irrational requirements.”




Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
The Great Western Exit: Why Best Citizens Are Fleeing the Rich World [PODCAST]
The New Robber Barons of Intelligence: Are AI Bosses More Powerful Than Rockefeller?
The AI Gold Rush Is Coming for America’s Last Open Spaces [Podcast]
The Pentagon’s AI Squeeze: Eight Tech Giants Get In, Anthropic Gets Shut Out [Podcast]
The War Map: Professor Jiang’s Dark Theory of Iran, Trump, China, Russia, Israel, and the Coming Global Shock [Podcast]
AI Isn’t Stealing Your Job. It’s Dismantling It Piece by Piece.
Kennedy’s Quiet War on Antidepressants Sparks Alarm Across America’s Medical Establishment
Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Crosses Hormuz via Iran-Controlled Route
Crypto Scammers Capitalize on Maritime Chaos Near the Strait of Hormuz: A Rising Threat to Shipping Companies
Changi Airport: How Singapore Engineered the World’s Most Efficient Travel Experience
News Roundup
Microsoft lost 2.5 millions users (French government) to Linux
Strategic Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Security Concerns as Trump Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Keeps Red Sea Oil Exports Flowing Despite Regional Tensions
Pipeline Attack Cuts Significant Share of Saudi Arabia’s Oil Export Capacity
Saudi Business Leader Abudawood Appointed Chairman of Merit Incentives Group
TotalEnergies Confirms Damage at Saudi Refinery Following Security Incident
Saudi Arabia Launches Early Construction Phase for King Salman Stadium Project
Saudi Shift Away from Longstanding Dollar Oil Framework Gains Attention Amid Iran Conflict
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Resolve Long-Running Transit Visa Dispute
Saudi Oil Capacity and Pipeline Flows Reduced as Supply Risks Intensify
TotalEnergies Reports Damage to Saudi SATORP Refinery Following Security Incidents
Gulf States Assess Prospects of U.S.-Iran Truce as Regional Stability Efforts Intensify
South Korea Resumes Honey Exports to Saudi Arabia Following Sanitary Approval
Saudi Arabia Carries Out Sentences in Eastern Province Following Security Convictions
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Backs King Street’s Regional Credit Strategy
Saudi Arabia Secures World Cup Return as Egypt Celebrates Landmark Qualification
Iran and Saudi Arabia Intensify Diplomatic Engagement Amid Regional Tensions
Russia and Saudi Arabia Open Visa-Free Travel Corridor for Citizens
Saudi Oil Output Capacity Reduced by 600,000 Barrels Per Day Amid Regional Conflict
Saudi Arabia Suspends Operations at Select Energy Sites as Precautionary Measure
Saudi Arabia Halts Operations at Multiple Energy Facilities Amid Heightened Tensions
Global Markets Jolt as Iran Signals Ceasefire Breakdown and Rising Regional Tensions
King Street Aligns with Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund to Expand Alternative Investments in Middle East
Attack on Saudi Arabia’s Jubail Petrochemical Hub Raises Global Supply Concerns
Debate Emerges Over Saudi Strategic Decisions as Gulf Cooperation Council Dynamics Come Into Focus
Saudi Arabia Expands Full Workforce Localisation to 69 Professions in Major Labour Reform
Emerging Alliance of Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt and Saudi Arabia Signals New Regional Power Dynamic Amid Iran Conflict
Iran Linked to Strikes Across Gulf States Following Refinery Attack Escalation
Saudi Arabia Voices Concern Over Fragile US–Iran Ceasefire Stability
Starmer Warns Sustained Effort Needed to Ensure US–Iran Ceasefire Holds
Saudi Arabia’s Key East-West Oil Pipeline Targeted Following Ceasefire Announcement
Iran Targets Saudi Arabia’s East-West Oil Pipeline in Escalating Regional Tensions
Trump Warns of Civilizational Stakes as Iran Halts Negotiations
Saudi Companies Expand Remote Work Measures Ahead of Iran-Related Security Concerns
Iran Warns of Strikes on Saudi Energy Infrastructure if US Targets Its Facilities
Iran Urges Civilians to Form Human Shields Around Nuclear Sites as Diplomatic Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Raises Oil Prices to Record Premiums Amid Supply Pressures Linked to Iran Conflict
Key Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Heightened Security Concerns Linked to Iran
Formula One Calendar Gap Explained as Fans Await Next Grand Prix
×