Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Friday, May 22, 2026

Coronavirus: deadliest day in Italy and Spain shows worst not over yet

Coronavirus: deadliest day in Italy and Spain shows worst not over yet

Italy reported 969 deaths in 24 hours while Spain reported 769, bringing toll to 9,134 and 4,858, respectively. Italy now has 86,498 cases, becoming second country after US to overtake China

Italy and Spain suffered their deadliest days from the coronavirus outbreak on Friday, with the government in Madrid warning citizens that the situation will get worse.

Italy reported 969 deaths in 24 hours while Spain reported 769, bringing total fatalities to 9,134 and 4,858, respectively.
Italy now has 86,498 total cases, trailing the US, but overtaking China, where the disease’s first outbreak occurred. New infections in Italy slowed to 5,959, compared with 6,153 the previous day, civil protection authorities said at their daily news conference in Rome.

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez convened an emergency cabinet meeting to try to chart a way out of the crisis rapidly engulfing the nation. Both countries are in almost complete lockdown, with their governments counting on limited social interactions to help contain the spread of the disease.

“We may be entering a phase of stabilisation, but we haven’t reached the peak yet,” Health Minister Salvador Illa said at a news conference in Madrid.

With Italy and Spain now reporting the most deaths worldwide, Europe’s outbreak is stretching health care systems and in some cases forcing doctors to choose who should live or die.

The head of the World Health Organisation tried to rally support for the battle against the disease on Friday, even as some world leaders like US President Donald Trump question the need for extreme measures.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who was criticised for being slow to react to the epidemic, became the first world leader to say he has tested positive and is self-isolating in his Downing Street offices with “mild symptoms”. Prince Charles, the heir to the British throne, also has the virus.

European Union leaders have largely recognised the danger but struggled to agree at a virtual summit Thursday on a joint strategy to limit the economic impact. They left key details to be hammered out in the weeks ahead as thousands fall ill and hundreds die each day across the continent.



In the absence of a shared EU response, national governments have been going it alone. In Germany, the upper house of parliament gave the final green light on Friday to a package totalling more than €750 billion (US$826 billion).

The measures include a supplemental budget with new borrowing of €156 billion, as well as loans, guarantees and aid for companies. The government may also buy stakes in and even nationalise certain stricken businesses.

The Spanish government last week announced a stimulus package worth as much as €100 billion (US$110 billion). It includes assistance for small and medium-sized enterprises – which account for the bulk of the nation’s economic activity and have been hammered by a collapse in demand – as well as tax deferments and loan guarantees.

Spain’s economy could shrink as much as 4.5 per cent in 2020 due to the impact of the virus, according to a report published Friday by Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria.

“An extraordinary crisis like Covid-19 requires the use of all economic policy tools,” the bank said. “In this situation, fiscal-policy makers should do all they can to mitigate the possible permanent consequences.”

Italy’s health authorities have sounded cautiously optimistic, as the pickup in confirmed cases reported Thursday seems connected to more extensive testing.

In a sign that containment measures may be working, the curve of the contagion’s spread started flattening slightly on March 20, according to Silvio Brusaferro, the head of the country’s public health institute.

Lombardy Governor Attilio Fontana, who heads the region with the worst outbreak, said before Friday’s death toll was released that a decline in cases may come in days.


Even as the spread seems to be slowing, evidence of its impact on the economy is starting to emerge. Confidence among Italian businesses crashed this month across all sectors. Consumer sentiment also deteriorated.

Alitalia, Italy’s bankrupt state airline, announced it will lay off almost 7,000 workers, while Arcelor Mittal’s Taranto steel mill, Europe’s largest by capacity, asked to temporarily suspend its whole staff, more than 8,000 people.

Italy’s gross domestic product may shrink by 6.5 per cent in 2020, according to research group Prometeia. The government has pledged to launch a second stimulus package worth at least €25 billion in April, after approving a similar amount this month.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
The Great Western Exit: Why Best Citizens Are Fleeing the Rich World [PODCAST]
The New Robber Barons of Intelligence: Are AI Bosses More Powerful Than Rockefeller?
The AI Gold Rush Is Coming for America’s Last Open Spaces [Podcast]
The Pentagon’s AI Squeeze: Eight Tech Giants Get In, Anthropic Gets Shut Out [Podcast]
The War Map: Professor Jiang’s Dark Theory of Iran, Trump, China, Russia, Israel, and the Coming Global Shock [Podcast]
AI Isn’t Stealing Your Job. It’s Dismantling It Piece by Piece.
Kennedy’s Quiet War on Antidepressants Sparks Alarm Across America’s Medical Establishment
Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Crosses Hormuz via Iran-Controlled Route
Crypto Scammers Capitalize on Maritime Chaos Near the Strait of Hormuz: A Rising Threat to Shipping Companies
Changi Airport: How Singapore Engineered the World’s Most Efficient Travel Experience
News Roundup
Microsoft lost 2.5 millions users (French government) to Linux
Strategic Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Security Concerns as Trump Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Keeps Red Sea Oil Exports Flowing Despite Regional Tensions
Pipeline Attack Cuts Significant Share of Saudi Arabia’s Oil Export Capacity
Saudi Business Leader Abudawood Appointed Chairman of Merit Incentives Group
TotalEnergies Confirms Damage at Saudi Refinery Following Security Incident
Saudi Arabia Launches Early Construction Phase for King Salman Stadium Project
Saudi Shift Away from Longstanding Dollar Oil Framework Gains Attention Amid Iran Conflict
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Resolve Long-Running Transit Visa Dispute
Saudi Oil Capacity and Pipeline Flows Reduced as Supply Risks Intensify
TotalEnergies Reports Damage to Saudi SATORP Refinery Following Security Incidents
Gulf States Assess Prospects of U.S.-Iran Truce as Regional Stability Efforts Intensify
South Korea Resumes Honey Exports to Saudi Arabia Following Sanitary Approval
Saudi Arabia Carries Out Sentences in Eastern Province Following Security Convictions
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Backs King Street’s Regional Credit Strategy
Saudi Arabia Secures World Cup Return as Egypt Celebrates Landmark Qualification
Iran and Saudi Arabia Intensify Diplomatic Engagement Amid Regional Tensions
Russia and Saudi Arabia Open Visa-Free Travel Corridor for Citizens
Saudi Oil Output Capacity Reduced by 600,000 Barrels Per Day Amid Regional Conflict
Saudi Arabia Suspends Operations at Select Energy Sites as Precautionary Measure
Saudi Arabia Halts Operations at Multiple Energy Facilities Amid Heightened Tensions
Global Markets Jolt as Iran Signals Ceasefire Breakdown and Rising Regional Tensions
King Street Aligns with Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund to Expand Alternative Investments in Middle East
Attack on Saudi Arabia’s Jubail Petrochemical Hub Raises Global Supply Concerns
Debate Emerges Over Saudi Strategic Decisions as Gulf Cooperation Council Dynamics Come Into Focus
Saudi Arabia Expands Full Workforce Localisation to 69 Professions in Major Labour Reform
Emerging Alliance of Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt and Saudi Arabia Signals New Regional Power Dynamic Amid Iran Conflict
Iran Linked to Strikes Across Gulf States Following Refinery Attack Escalation
Saudi Arabia Voices Concern Over Fragile US–Iran Ceasefire Stability
Starmer Warns Sustained Effort Needed to Ensure US–Iran Ceasefire Holds
Saudi Arabia’s Key East-West Oil Pipeline Targeted Following Ceasefire Announcement
Iran Targets Saudi Arabia’s East-West Oil Pipeline in Escalating Regional Tensions
Trump Warns of Civilizational Stakes as Iran Halts Negotiations
Saudi Companies Expand Remote Work Measures Ahead of Iran-Related Security Concerns
Iran Warns of Strikes on Saudi Energy Infrastructure if US Targets Its Facilities
Iran Urges Civilians to Form Human Shields Around Nuclear Sites as Diplomatic Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Raises Oil Prices to Record Premiums Amid Supply Pressures Linked to Iran Conflict
Key Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Heightened Security Concerns Linked to Iran
Formula One Calendar Gap Explained as Fans Await Next Grand Prix
×