Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Friday, May 22, 2026

Coronavirus’ global death toll may hit 5 million by March

Coronavirus’ global death toll may hit 5 million by March

In worst case, the number of Covid-19 infections in the United States could rise to 32 million, study says.

A team of Chinese experts has warned that the global impact of the coronavirus pandemic could be worse this year than it was in 2020.

By the beginning of March, the death toll from Covid-19 could rise to 5 million – from just under 2 million on Thursday – according to figures calculated by a team from China’s Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), People’s Liberation Army and public health research institutes.

The researchers, led by professor Xu Jianguo from the CDC, said in a study published on January 8 in the peer-reviewed journal Disease Surveillance that the Chinese government and the public should brace for more external shocks.

“The development of the pandemic is hard to foresee, but a numerical estimate by modelling can provide some useful information,” Xu said.


While China has largely brought Covid-19 under control, many countries are still dealing with widespread outbreaks partly driven by mutated strains. Some of the mutations are believed to have emerged in communities where herd immunity had already been established.

More than 92 million cases have been reported around the world, but that number could rise to 170 million in early March, with the United States likely to be the worst hit, according to Xu’s estimate.

In the worst case, the number of US cases could hit 32 million, or about 20 per cent of the world total. India, Brazil and Russia would be the next worst hit, with 15.5, 15 and 6 million cases respectively.

The researchers did not provide an estimate of the possible death toll in the four worst-hit countries and did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Even in the best scenario – with governments implementing effective measures, people obeying rules such as social distancing and wearing masks, and massive vaccination programmes taking effect – the study said a further 300,000 people would die from Covid-19 by early March.

To achieve the best scenario the US would have to keep its cases at about 26 million, or no more than 3 million new infections in the intervening weeks, the study said. The US reported more than 1.7 million cases last week alone.


A researcher at the Institut Pasteur of Shanghai who is investigating the coronavirus but was not involved in the study, said that if 5 million people died by March, it could lead to the collapse of the global health care system.

“People die en masse when they cannot get even the most basic care in hospitals,” said the person, who asked not to be named.

The current global fatality rate of Covid-19 is 2.1 per cent, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University in the US. A rise in the death toll to 5 million would represent a death rate of 3 per cent, which was about the level in Wuhan when hospitals were overwhelmed by the then new disease.

Benjamin Neuman, a professor of biology and GHRC chief virologist at Texas A&M University, said there were many uncertainties in trying to predict the course of the pandemic, including fatigue, politics, traditions, attitudes towards science and the spread of false information.

“In the best case, with common sense, suitable precautions, and the current crop of effective vaccines, the total would not ever have to reach 3 million deaths,” he said.

“The worst case scenario could be much worse than 7 million … the future of Covid-19 is very much in our hands.”

Xu led one of the first expert teams sent by the Chinese government to investigate the outbreak in Wuhan. Other collaborators in the study were all lead scientists in China’s top military and civilian research institutes on infectious diseases. The study was commissioned by the Chinese Academy of Engineering, a major advisory body to China’s leaders.


Several countries have launched mass vaccination programmes, but the Chinese team have urged Beijing to hold fire.


China’s best weapon against the pandemic is containment, but an increasing amount of scientific evidence suggests SARS-CoV-2 virus is evolving, like flu, according to Xu and his colleagues.

If the virus managed to adapt to the human body as well as the influenza virus it could hide in the population and reappear every season, they said.

And many people carrying the virus would show no symptoms and live life as normal. How long China’s strategy of containment remained effective was highly uncertain, they said.

Although some countries, including the US and Britain, have launched mass vaccination programmes, the researchers urged Beijing to wait.

They argued that as the virus mutates, antibodies generated by vaccines could be used by mutated strains as a decoy to cheat the human immune system and get into host cells more easily, making the illness even worse.

“In areas with few or no cases, there is no need to launch large scale vaccinations,” they said, adding that China should watch closely the side effects of various vaccine products overseas before inoculating its entire population.

The researchers also said the Chinese government and military should establish a nationwide testing and contact tracing network using big data and artificial intelligence. National testing facilities would need to test up to 1 million individuals a day in order to cut off the transmission chain of an outbreak, they said.

China would also need to establish large scale facilities to disinfect cargoes from overseas, while all animals, including pets, would have to be monitored constantly to prevent them becoming hosts of the virus.

The emergence of new infectious diseases “may become a new normal”, they said.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
The Great Western Exit: Why Best Citizens Are Fleeing the Rich World [PODCAST]
The New Robber Barons of Intelligence: Are AI Bosses More Powerful Than Rockefeller?
The AI Gold Rush Is Coming for America’s Last Open Spaces [Podcast]
The Pentagon’s AI Squeeze: Eight Tech Giants Get In, Anthropic Gets Shut Out [Podcast]
The War Map: Professor Jiang’s Dark Theory of Iran, Trump, China, Russia, Israel, and the Coming Global Shock [Podcast]
AI Isn’t Stealing Your Job. It’s Dismantling It Piece by Piece.
Kennedy’s Quiet War on Antidepressants Sparks Alarm Across America’s Medical Establishment
Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Crosses Hormuz via Iran-Controlled Route
Crypto Scammers Capitalize on Maritime Chaos Near the Strait of Hormuz: A Rising Threat to Shipping Companies
Changi Airport: How Singapore Engineered the World’s Most Efficient Travel Experience
News Roundup
Microsoft lost 2.5 millions users (French government) to Linux
Strategic Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Security Concerns as Trump Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Keeps Red Sea Oil Exports Flowing Despite Regional Tensions
Pipeline Attack Cuts Significant Share of Saudi Arabia’s Oil Export Capacity
Saudi Business Leader Abudawood Appointed Chairman of Merit Incentives Group
TotalEnergies Confirms Damage at Saudi Refinery Following Security Incident
Saudi Arabia Launches Early Construction Phase for King Salman Stadium Project
Saudi Shift Away from Longstanding Dollar Oil Framework Gains Attention Amid Iran Conflict
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Resolve Long-Running Transit Visa Dispute
Saudi Oil Capacity and Pipeline Flows Reduced as Supply Risks Intensify
TotalEnergies Reports Damage to Saudi SATORP Refinery Following Security Incidents
Gulf States Assess Prospects of U.S.-Iran Truce as Regional Stability Efforts Intensify
South Korea Resumes Honey Exports to Saudi Arabia Following Sanitary Approval
Saudi Arabia Carries Out Sentences in Eastern Province Following Security Convictions
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Backs King Street’s Regional Credit Strategy
Saudi Arabia Secures World Cup Return as Egypt Celebrates Landmark Qualification
Iran and Saudi Arabia Intensify Diplomatic Engagement Amid Regional Tensions
Russia and Saudi Arabia Open Visa-Free Travel Corridor for Citizens
Saudi Oil Output Capacity Reduced by 600,000 Barrels Per Day Amid Regional Conflict
Saudi Arabia Suspends Operations at Select Energy Sites as Precautionary Measure
Saudi Arabia Halts Operations at Multiple Energy Facilities Amid Heightened Tensions
Global Markets Jolt as Iran Signals Ceasefire Breakdown and Rising Regional Tensions
King Street Aligns with Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund to Expand Alternative Investments in Middle East
Attack on Saudi Arabia’s Jubail Petrochemical Hub Raises Global Supply Concerns
Debate Emerges Over Saudi Strategic Decisions as Gulf Cooperation Council Dynamics Come Into Focus
Saudi Arabia Expands Full Workforce Localisation to 69 Professions in Major Labour Reform
Emerging Alliance of Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt and Saudi Arabia Signals New Regional Power Dynamic Amid Iran Conflict
Iran Linked to Strikes Across Gulf States Following Refinery Attack Escalation
Saudi Arabia Voices Concern Over Fragile US–Iran Ceasefire Stability
Starmer Warns Sustained Effort Needed to Ensure US–Iran Ceasefire Holds
Saudi Arabia’s Key East-West Oil Pipeline Targeted Following Ceasefire Announcement
Iran Targets Saudi Arabia’s East-West Oil Pipeline in Escalating Regional Tensions
Trump Warns of Civilizational Stakes as Iran Halts Negotiations
Saudi Companies Expand Remote Work Measures Ahead of Iran-Related Security Concerns
Iran Warns of Strikes on Saudi Energy Infrastructure if US Targets Its Facilities
Iran Urges Civilians to Form Human Shields Around Nuclear Sites as Diplomatic Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Raises Oil Prices to Record Premiums Amid Supply Pressures Linked to Iran Conflict
Key Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Heightened Security Concerns Linked to Iran
Formula One Calendar Gap Explained as Fans Await Next Grand Prix
×