Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Sunday, May 24, 2026

UK Reassures On AstraZeneca After Advising Under-30s Take Other Vaccines

UK Reassures On AstraZeneca After Advising Under-30s Take Other Vaccines

Officials said the suggestion that under-30s should be offered an alternative did not reflect any serious safety concerns, just a "vanishingly" rare possible side effect.

British officials and ministers sought to shore up confidence in AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine on Thursday, saying advice that most people under 30 should be offered alternative shots was not unusual and would not impact the pace of rollout.

A pharmacist whose brother died from a brain blood clot linked to the AstraZeneca shot was among those calling for people to keep getting it, saying the doses would save lives.

Officials said the suggestion that under-30s should be offered an alternative did not reflect any serious safety concerns, just a "vanishingly" rare possible side effect.

Anthony Harnden, Deputy Chairman of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) which issued the new advice, said such suggestions were not unusual, pointing out that people of different ages already got different flu shots in Britain.

"This isn't unusual. So this is not undermining what the regulators are saying. The regulators are saying this vaccine is suitable for all age groups but it's up to the individual countries to decide how best to deploy those vaccines," he told Reuters in an interview.

While Britain's MHRA medicine regulator did not place age restrictions on the use of the AstraZeneca shot, some saw the JCVI's advice about under-30s, made in the same briefing, as mixed messaging.

Conservative lawmaker Iain Duncan Smith said the announcement was "ridiculous" and that there was "the dangerous potential" that people would refuse to have AstraZeneca's shot.

Health minister Matt Hancock defended the move, saying the transparency over possible side effects, even very rare ones, should bolster confidence in the system.

Britain has continued to use its homegrown AstraZeneca vaccine since it became the first country to start rolling it out at the start of January. Some countries in Europe, including France, restricted its use in older people initially, citing a lack of data, and are now limiting its use in older people.

Harnden said Wednesday's announcement had not been taken lightly and it had been right to keep using the shot, even if the advice was now changing.

"Stopping and starting and changing vaccination programmes is not an easy thing to do, and if you do it, it runs the danger of losing confidence in that programme," he said.

Still on track


Britain is leaning on AstraZeneca for a large portion of its vaccine supply, with 100 million doses ordered.

But it has also has been rolling out vaccines made by Pfizer, since December, and Moderna since Wednesday. Shots made by Johnson & Johnson and Novavax are also pending regulatory approval in the coming months.

Hancock said that with 40 million Pfizer and 17 million Moderna vaccines ordered, there was more than enough shots to cover the 8.5 million people under-30s who needed to be vaccinated. Healthy under-30s are in the last priority cohort to be vaccinated, with most not eligible until the summer.

"We feel that we've got enough vaccine supply to be able to offer (an) alternative vaccine, without delaying the progress of our immunisations," JCVI's Harnden said, adding Britain was on track to give a first shot of vaccine to all adults by the end of July.

"It may slip by a week or two, but no more than that," he said.

The advice did not change for under-30s who have underlying conditions and are eligible for shots now, meaning only very few people who are due to have a shot in the coming days will be affected by the advice change.

Alison Astles, a pharmacist whose 59-year-old brother died of a blood clot on the brain on Sunday, encouraged people to still get their AstraZeneca shots even though it was "very strongly suggested" his death was due to the shot.

"The sister in me still feels absolutely furious and very angry that this has happened to my brother... But despite what has happened to Neil, and the impact on our family, I still strongly believe that people should go ahead and have the vaccine," she said.

"Overall, we will save more lives by people having the vaccine than not."

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
The Great Western Exit: Why Best Citizens Are Fleeing the Rich World [PODCAST]
The New Robber Barons of Intelligence: Are AI Bosses More Powerful Than Rockefeller?
The AI Gold Rush Is Coming for America’s Last Open Spaces [Podcast]
The Pentagon’s AI Squeeze: Eight Tech Giants Get In, Anthropic Gets Shut Out [Podcast]
The War Map: Professor Jiang’s Dark Theory of Iran, Trump, China, Russia, Israel, and the Coming Global Shock [Podcast]
AI Isn’t Stealing Your Job. It’s Dismantling It Piece by Piece.
Kennedy’s Quiet War on Antidepressants Sparks Alarm Across America’s Medical Establishment
Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Crosses Hormuz via Iran-Controlled Route
Crypto Scammers Capitalize on Maritime Chaos Near the Strait of Hormuz: A Rising Threat to Shipping Companies
Changi Airport: How Singapore Engineered the World’s Most Efficient Travel Experience
News Roundup
Microsoft lost 2.5 millions users (French government) to Linux
Strategic Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Security Concerns as Trump Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Keeps Red Sea Oil Exports Flowing Despite Regional Tensions
Pipeline Attack Cuts Significant Share of Saudi Arabia’s Oil Export Capacity
Saudi Business Leader Abudawood Appointed Chairman of Merit Incentives Group
TotalEnergies Confirms Damage at Saudi Refinery Following Security Incident
Saudi Arabia Launches Early Construction Phase for King Salman Stadium Project
Saudi Shift Away from Longstanding Dollar Oil Framework Gains Attention Amid Iran Conflict
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Resolve Long-Running Transit Visa Dispute
Saudi Oil Capacity and Pipeline Flows Reduced as Supply Risks Intensify
TotalEnergies Reports Damage to Saudi SATORP Refinery Following Security Incidents
Gulf States Assess Prospects of U.S.-Iran Truce as Regional Stability Efforts Intensify
South Korea Resumes Honey Exports to Saudi Arabia Following Sanitary Approval
Saudi Arabia Carries Out Sentences in Eastern Province Following Security Convictions
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Backs King Street’s Regional Credit Strategy
Saudi Arabia Secures World Cup Return as Egypt Celebrates Landmark Qualification
Iran and Saudi Arabia Intensify Diplomatic Engagement Amid Regional Tensions
Russia and Saudi Arabia Open Visa-Free Travel Corridor for Citizens
Saudi Oil Output Capacity Reduced by 600,000 Barrels Per Day Amid Regional Conflict
Saudi Arabia Suspends Operations at Select Energy Sites as Precautionary Measure
Saudi Arabia Halts Operations at Multiple Energy Facilities Amid Heightened Tensions
Global Markets Jolt as Iran Signals Ceasefire Breakdown and Rising Regional Tensions
King Street Aligns with Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund to Expand Alternative Investments in Middle East
Attack on Saudi Arabia’s Jubail Petrochemical Hub Raises Global Supply Concerns
Debate Emerges Over Saudi Strategic Decisions as Gulf Cooperation Council Dynamics Come Into Focus
Saudi Arabia Expands Full Workforce Localisation to 69 Professions in Major Labour Reform
Emerging Alliance of Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt and Saudi Arabia Signals New Regional Power Dynamic Amid Iran Conflict
Iran Linked to Strikes Across Gulf States Following Refinery Attack Escalation
Saudi Arabia Voices Concern Over Fragile US–Iran Ceasefire Stability
Starmer Warns Sustained Effort Needed to Ensure US–Iran Ceasefire Holds
Saudi Arabia’s Key East-West Oil Pipeline Targeted Following Ceasefire Announcement
Iran Targets Saudi Arabia’s East-West Oil Pipeline in Escalating Regional Tensions
Trump Warns of Civilizational Stakes as Iran Halts Negotiations
Saudi Companies Expand Remote Work Measures Ahead of Iran-Related Security Concerns
Iran Warns of Strikes on Saudi Energy Infrastructure if US Targets Its Facilities
Iran Urges Civilians to Form Human Shields Around Nuclear Sites as Diplomatic Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Raises Oil Prices to Record Premiums Amid Supply Pressures Linked to Iran Conflict
Key Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Heightened Security Concerns Linked to Iran
Formula One Calendar Gap Explained as Fans Await Next Grand Prix
×