Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Friday, Feb 20, 2026

Pay up or close: the dilemma facing restaurant owners in the Beirut Port blast zone

Pay up or close: the dilemma facing restaurant owners in the Beirut Port blast zone

Restaurant owners want more clarity on the political scene before deciding to invest again in this sector

Owners of restaurants badly impacted by the Beirut Port explosion on August 4, are facing a tough dilemma as they desperately fight for survival.

They have the choice of paying for repairs to the damage to their businesses without waiting for governmental aid or keeping the doors closed and waiting for aid or compensation from insurance companies.

Many have told Arabian Business that they want more clarity on the political scene before deciding to invest again in this sector, which has suffered heavy losses due to the severe economic crisis and the spread of coronavirus, pushing many businesses to close, with tens of thousands of restaurant jobs lost.

The massive explosion devastated entire Achrafieh neighbourhoods like Gemmayzeh and Mar Mikhael, unleashing a new wave of misery for business owners.

Half of the 2,100 bars and eateries in Greater Beirut were damaged in the blast. Damage and losses to such establishments as a result of the economic crisis, coronavirus and the blast are estimated at $1 billion, according to a survey by the Syndicate of Owners of Restaurants, Cafes, Nightclubs and Pastries in Lebanon.

Gemmayzeh and Mar Mikhael, considered front-line areas of the blast, are both home to the most popular cafes, restaurants, and bars in the country.


Happy to open: Mac n' Cheese


Mac n' Cheese, an Italian pasta specialist, in Armenia street, Mar Mikhael, was severely damaged by the blast and chose “to smile, even after all the storms we’ve been through". It re-opened its doors on August 28.

Carlos, the owner, said: “We were hit hard by the explosion, the damage was estimated at $10,000, and we took a decision to repair the restaurant without waiting for any aid or compensation. We can’t afford to remain closed even if our clients deserted the area after the explosion. I cannot access my bank account, so I borrowed some money to make a basic repair.”

He added: "We didn’t receive any help from the government. We lost confidence in our politicians, and the near future isn’t bright.”

Some restaurants are re-opening their doors on the main street, but without customers. On side streets, most of the restaurants remained closed. With apartments and offices in the area still damaged from the blast, many customers have temporarily moved away.

Resilience and resistance


“We stand in determination, resilience, and resistance for our beloved Beirut,” was Curli.Q announcement of their re-opening after the blast.

Curli.Q, a patisserie, catering and coffee shop in Achrafieh street, won recently the silver award at the Transform Awards MEA 2020 during a ceremony held in Dubai.


Curli.Q is open for business


Curli.Q’s owner Maya Bekhazi Noun told Arabian Business: “Curli.Q was moderately damaged, damages were limited on the façades, the kitchen and aluminium doors, so we got back to work a week after the explosion. We contacted the insurance company, they wait for the release of the investigation report to take the appropriate decision. If it was an accident they will pay, otherwise they won’t."

She added: “After the blast, we signalled a slump in sales, as the area was ruined, streets filled with glass and stones, demolished cars. People traumatised; they don’t have the mood to buy anything. In this context, we’ve launched an initiative called Feed Beirut to help homeless people. We used our kitchen to make and distribute meals to needy people through several NGOs.”

Many government and NGOs groups came to assess the material damages, but so far nobody has offered any help, thus some shop owners repaired temporarily the façades by replacing the broken glass with nylon film.

Put it back together


Urbanista, a restaurant/café, received its share of damages in the Gemmayzeh branch. It resumed deliveries three weeks after the explosion, and re-opened on September 7, with the slogan: Beirut. We will put it back together.

According to Zeina El Eid, CEO of Urbanista: "The Gemmayzeh store was completely damaged, with damages estimated at $35,000. We fixed major parts without any aid. The insurance company assessed damages and made reports, but we didn’t get anything.” She added: "Business is slowly building after the blast in light of the economic crisis and the spread of coronavirus.”


Destruction at Loris restaurant


Among those who chose to postpone the resumption of their work was the restaurant Loris in Pasteur Street, Gemmayzeh. It was severely damaged, with two of the staff killed and many wounded by the blast.

Joseph, Loris’ manager, told Arabian Business that the restaurant’s management didn’t make any assessment of the damages given the tragic circumstances resulting from the death of two employees. "We don’t have any idea about the exact figures of damages, but it was a destructive blow to our restaurant.”

He expected to resume work next year “if conditions are right".

Once vibrant, Gemmayzeh and Mar Mikhael’s restaurants are now deserted. Renowned for their night life, these districts have become a “ghost town” after dark.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Concerns Mount Over Potential Saudi Uranium Enrichment in Prospective US Nuclear Accord
Investability Emerges as the Defining Test of Saudi Arabia’s Next Market Phase
Saudi Arabia’s Packaging Market Accelerates as Sustainability and E-Commerce Drive Transformation
Saudi Arabia’s Strategic Minerals Drive Offers Lessons for Europe’s Supply Chain Ambitions
Saudi Arabia Unveils $32 Billion Push Into Theme Parks and Global Entertainment
Saudi Crude Exports to India Climb Sharply, Closing Gap With Russia
Saudi Arabia’s Halal Cosmetics Market Expands as Faith and Ethical Beauty Drive Growth
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
ImmunityBio Secures Saudi Partnerships to Launch Flagship Cancer Therapy
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Launch Expanded Renewable Energy Partnership
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Saudi Arabia Tops Middle East Green Building Rankings with Record Growth in 2025
Qatar and Saudi Arabia Each Commit One Billion Dollars to President Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ Initiative
Ramadan 2026 Prayer Times Set as Fasting Begins in Saudi Arabia and Egypt Announces Dates
Saudi Arabia Launches Ramadan 2026 Hotel Campaign to Boost Religious and Leisure Tourism
Saudi Arabia Seeks Reroute of Greece-Bound Fibre-Optic Cable Through Syria Instead of Israel
Saudi-Backed Scopely Acquires Majority Stake in Turkey’s Loom Games to Expand Mobile Portfolio
Zodiac Milpro Launches Zid Marine Joint Venture in Saudi Arabia to Expand Regional Shipbuilding
Saudi Arabia Reaffirms Reform Path Amid Claims of Ideological Reversal
Calls Grow for Saudi Arabia and UAE to Settle Differences Through Direct Dialogue
Jensen Huang just told the story of how Elon Musk became NVIDIA’s very first customer for their powerful AI supercomputer
British couple sentenced to 10 years in Iran for espionage
Former British Prince Andrew Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office
Unitree Robotics founder Wang Xingxing showcases future robot deployment during Spring Festival Gala.
Prince William Holds Talks with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman During Saudi Visit
Saudi Arabia’s Humain Commits $3 Billion Investment to Elon Musk’s xAI
SCOPA Executive Unveils Ambitious Relaunch Strategy for Saudi Production Company
Saudi Arabia Sees Rise in Business Visa Rejections Amid Tighter Compliance Checks
Saudi PIF Transfers Take-Two Stake to Savvy Games Group in Strategic Gaming Push
Jimmy Carr Says He ‘Loved’ Saudi Arabia Show Amid Debate Over Performing in the Kingdom
Sotheby’s ‘Origins II’ Auction Signals Saudi Collectors’ Shift Toward Cultural Legacy
EY and Microsoft Deepen Saudi Arabia Partnership with Launch of EY Studio+
Google Pay Launches Support for Mastercard Cards in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia Bolsters Maritime Surveillance Fleet with Four C-27J Patrol Aircraft
Kazakhstan and Saudi Arabia Deepen Strategic Partnership with New Investment and Energy Agreements
Saudi Crown Prince Receives Written Message from Kazakhstan’s President Amid Expanding Strategic Ties
ImmunityBio Shares Rise After Saudi Arabia BCG Manufacturing Update Spurs Investor Optimism
Global Music Star Tyla Confirmed as Headliner at 2026 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix Entertainment Lineup
Somalia and Saudi Arabia Forge New Military Partnership Amid Regional Power Shifts
Saudi Arabia and Several Nations Criticize Israeli West Bank Land Measures as Diplomatic Tensions Rise
Saudi Public Investment Fund Transfers Stake in Take-Two Interactive as Portfolio Strategy Evolves
Saudi Arabia’s Flagship Defense Expo Highlights Industrial Ambitions and Expanding Arms Portfolio
Strategic Divergence Deepens as Saudi Arabia and UAE Recalibrate Gulf Partnership
Saudi Arabia Confirms Start of Ramadan as Crescent Moon Sighted, While Other Nations Begin a Day Later
Rubio Calls for Sweeping U.N. Reform, Saying It Has Failed to End Wars in Gaza and Ukraine
10,000 Condoms Distributed at Winter Olympics 2026 Athlete Village Depleted Within 72 Hours
Prince William Meets Saudi Crown Prince as Epstein-Andrew Fallout Casts Shadow
Goldman Sachs and DP World Executive Resignations: Elite-Reputation Risk and Corporate Governance Fallout From the Epstein Disclosures
OpenAI and DeepCent Superintelligence Race: Artificial General Intelligence and AI Agents as a National Security Arms Race
×