Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Friday, Feb 20, 2026

ISIL leader killed in US raid in Syria, Biden says

ISIL leader killed in US raid in Syria, Biden says

US president says Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi blew himself up, killing several members of his family.

United States President Joe Biden has said the leader of ISIL (ISIS) has been “taken off the battlefield” following an overnight raid in Syria that also killed children and women.

A senior US administration official told reporters on Thursday that ISIL leader Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi was killed in the raid.

Later on Thursday, Biden confirmed al-Qurayshi’s death and lauded the operation in a brief speech. He blamed the civilian deaths on the ISIL leader, whom he said blew himself up in an “act of desperate cowardice” as US forces approached.

“He chose to blow himself up – not just with a vest, but to blow up that third floor – rather than face justice for the crimes he has committed, taking several members of his family with him,” Biden said.

Biden said the operation shows the United States’s “reach and capability to take out terrorist threats” around the world.

“I’m determined to protect the American people from terrorist threats, and I’ll take decisive action to protect this country,” the US president added.

Biden had said in a statement earlier that the raid in northwest Syria was undertaken to protect the American people and US allies and “make the world a safer place”.

“Thanks to the skill and bravery of our Armed Forces, we have taken off the battlefield Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi—the leader of ISIS,” Biden said.

The White House released a photo of Biden and other top officials early on Thursday that it said was taken while the US president was observing the “counterterrorism operation”.

Meanwhile, the senior US official also said that at least some of the civilian deaths were the result of al-Qurayshi detonating a bomb.

“At the beginning of the operation, the terrorist target exploded a bomb that killed him and members of his own family, including women and children,” the official said.

The Pentagon said there were no US casualties in the raid.

Coalition raid in Idlib, Syria


ISIL named al-Qurayshi as its head in 2019 after confirming the death of former leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who was killed by US special forces days earlier.

In 2020, the US Department of State’s Rewards for Justice Program offered $10m for information leading to the identification or location of al-Qurayshi, who went by many names and aliases, including Hajji Abdallah and Amir Muhammad Sa’id Abdal-Rahman al-Mawla.

“Born in Mosul, Iraq, in 1976, al-Mawla was a religious scholar in ISIS’s predecessor organization, al-Qaeda in Iraq, and steadily rose through the ranks of ISIS to become the deputy emir,” the Department of State said in a statement at that time.

Al-Qurayshi took over leadership of the role at a time when ISIL was particularly beleaguered, largely reduced to scattered sleeper cells after being territorially defeated in Syria months earlier.

However, there have been recent clashes between the group and US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), including an attempt in January by ISIL to break thousands of followers out of a prison near Hassakeh in northeast Syria in a coordinated attack that started days of heavy fighting.

A US-led coalition carried out air raids and deployed US personnel in Bradley Fighting Vehicles to support the Kurdish forces in repelling the attack. Hundreds were killed and tens of thousands fled in ISIL’s most brazen attack in years, and fighting has continued.

SDF has said the assault was part of a wider plot of resurgence by the group.


The overnight raid in Atmeh, a densely populated town in rebel-held Idlib province near the Turkish border, left at least 13 people dead including six children and four women, first responders said.

Reporting from Washington, DC, Al Jazeera’s Kimberly Halkett said Biden will have to explain the civilian deaths, as well as answer why his administration has continued to keep about 900 US troops in Syria.

“This is a surprise on a number of counts, not only the fact that there are still US operations in Syria which many will be unfamiliar with, but also the fact that the United States was not more careful, more surgical in this operation and allowing it to be more precise and preventing these [civilian deaths],” Halkett said from Washington, DC.

“This is something that the US military will have to explain but it also something the US president will have to explain why he’s continued this Trump-era policy.”

The raid in Syria comes less than a week after Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin issued a directive ordering the US military to do more to protect civilians from harm in drone attacks and other combat operations.

The Pentagon faced criticism last year after a drone attack in Kabul killed 10 civilians, including seven children.

US military leaders initially insisted that the raid targeted ISIL operatives planning an attack on the airport in the Afghan capital, before eventually acknowledging the civilian deaths. “At this point, we think that the procedures were correctly followed and it was a righteous strike,” Mark Milley, the top US general, told reporters in a briefing on September 1.

On Thursday, several leading US lawmakers praised the operation in Syria.

“Our entire nation is grateful for the patriotism and dedication of our military personnel and intelligence community,” Nancy Pelosi, speaker of the house of Representatives, said in a statement. “On behalf of the Congress, I salute President Biden’s strong leadership to keep our nation safe and secure.”

Republican Senator Lindsey Graham said Biden “deserves credit” for the raid, but he criticised the US president’s broader policies, including the chaotic withdrawal from Afghanistan last year.

“This operation again shows why forward-deployed American forces, working with allies and partners on the ground, must continue to exist in troubled regions. It is imperative we hit them before they hit us,” Graham wrote in a series of tweets.

Idlib is the last rebel-held stronghold in war-torn Syria, and is mostly controlled by former al-Qaeda-affiliate Hay’et Tahrir al-Sham. Turkish-backed fighters also control portions of the province. Tens of thousands of people displaced by the country’s decade-long war live in camps that dot the area.

The Syrian Civil Defence remove a body following an overnight raid by US special forces in northwestern Syria.


Residents told Al Jazeera helicopters had hovered over the targeted building for more than two hours before the attack. The US special forces then carried out a landing operation and stormed the house.

The US-led coalition has conducted recent operations against remnants of ISIL sleeper cells in northeastern Syria.

The US military has also used drones to kill top al-Qaeda operatives in northern Syria, including an attack that killed al-Qaeda second in command Abu al-Kheir al-Masri in 2017.

On Thursday, the top floor of the targeted house was almost totally destroyed, with blood splattered on the walls of the structure that remained standing.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Concerns Mount Over Potential Saudi Uranium Enrichment in Prospective US Nuclear Accord
Investability Emerges as the Defining Test of Saudi Arabia’s Next Market Phase
Saudi Arabia’s Packaging Market Accelerates as Sustainability and E-Commerce Drive Transformation
Saudi Arabia’s Strategic Minerals Drive Offers Lessons for Europe’s Supply Chain Ambitions
Saudi Arabia Unveils $32 Billion Push Into Theme Parks and Global Entertainment
Saudi Crude Exports to India Climb Sharply, Closing Gap With Russia
Saudi Arabia’s Halal Cosmetics Market Expands as Faith and Ethical Beauty Drive Growth
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
ImmunityBio Secures Saudi Partnerships to Launch Flagship Cancer Therapy
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Launch Expanded Renewable Energy Partnership
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Saudi Arabia Tops Middle East Green Building Rankings with Record Growth in 2025
Qatar and Saudi Arabia Each Commit One Billion Dollars to President Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ Initiative
Ramadan 2026 Prayer Times Set as Fasting Begins in Saudi Arabia and Egypt Announces Dates
Saudi Arabia Launches Ramadan 2026 Hotel Campaign to Boost Religious and Leisure Tourism
Saudi Arabia Seeks Reroute of Greece-Bound Fibre-Optic Cable Through Syria Instead of Israel
Saudi-Backed Scopely Acquires Majority Stake in Turkey’s Loom Games to Expand Mobile Portfolio
Zodiac Milpro Launches Zid Marine Joint Venture in Saudi Arabia to Expand Regional Shipbuilding
Saudi Arabia Reaffirms Reform Path Amid Claims of Ideological Reversal
Calls Grow for Saudi Arabia and UAE to Settle Differences Through Direct Dialogue
Jensen Huang just told the story of how Elon Musk became NVIDIA’s very first customer for their powerful AI supercomputer
British couple sentenced to 10 years in Iran for espionage
Former British Prince Andrew Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office
Unitree Robotics founder Wang Xingxing showcases future robot deployment during Spring Festival Gala.
Prince William Holds Talks with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman During Saudi Visit
Saudi Arabia’s Humain Commits $3 Billion Investment to Elon Musk’s xAI
SCOPA Executive Unveils Ambitious Relaunch Strategy for Saudi Production Company
Saudi Arabia Sees Rise in Business Visa Rejections Amid Tighter Compliance Checks
Saudi PIF Transfers Take-Two Stake to Savvy Games Group in Strategic Gaming Push
Jimmy Carr Says He ‘Loved’ Saudi Arabia Show Amid Debate Over Performing in the Kingdom
Sotheby’s ‘Origins II’ Auction Signals Saudi Collectors’ Shift Toward Cultural Legacy
EY and Microsoft Deepen Saudi Arabia Partnership with Launch of EY Studio+
Google Pay Launches Support for Mastercard Cards in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia Bolsters Maritime Surveillance Fleet with Four C-27J Patrol Aircraft
Kazakhstan and Saudi Arabia Deepen Strategic Partnership with New Investment and Energy Agreements
Saudi Crown Prince Receives Written Message from Kazakhstan’s President Amid Expanding Strategic Ties
ImmunityBio Shares Rise After Saudi Arabia BCG Manufacturing Update Spurs Investor Optimism
Global Music Star Tyla Confirmed as Headliner at 2026 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix Entertainment Lineup
Somalia and Saudi Arabia Forge New Military Partnership Amid Regional Power Shifts
Saudi Arabia and Several Nations Criticize Israeli West Bank Land Measures as Diplomatic Tensions Rise
Saudi Public Investment Fund Transfers Stake in Take-Two Interactive as Portfolio Strategy Evolves
Saudi Arabia’s Flagship Defense Expo Highlights Industrial Ambitions and Expanding Arms Portfolio
Strategic Divergence Deepens as Saudi Arabia and UAE Recalibrate Gulf Partnership
Saudi Arabia Confirms Start of Ramadan as Crescent Moon Sighted, While Other Nations Begin a Day Later
Rubio Calls for Sweeping U.N. Reform, Saying It Has Failed to End Wars in Gaza and Ukraine
10,000 Condoms Distributed at Winter Olympics 2026 Athlete Village Depleted Within 72 Hours
Prince William Meets Saudi Crown Prince as Epstein-Andrew Fallout Casts Shadow
Goldman Sachs and DP World Executive Resignations: Elite-Reputation Risk and Corporate Governance Fallout From the Epstein Disclosures
OpenAI and DeepCent Superintelligence Race: Artificial General Intelligence and AI Agents as a National Security Arms Race
×