Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Saturday, Feb 21, 2026

Hong Kong gov’t hires Shenzhen company to build new email system, raising security concerns

Hong Kong gov’t hires Shenzhen company to build new email system, raising security concerns

The government has awarded a HK$237 million contract to a Shenzhen company to build, support and maintain a new centralised email system for 22 bureaus and departments. The announcement raised security concerns despite the government saying that the contractor will not be able to access user data.

Old email systems such as Domino and Exchange have long been in use at the Hong Kong government. The Office of the Government Chief Information Officer (OGCIO) – under the Innovation and Technology Bureau – started a tender process in March last 2 years, and applied to the legislature for funding to build a new centralised system. It was approved last November by the Finance Committee.

The contract was awarded in 2018 February to a Shenzhen firm named Richinfo Technology Company Limited, which is listed on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange. It will work with the OGCIO to provide services for the daily operation and maintenance of the email system for seven years.

Several lawmakers raised concerns over the matter last year. They asked the OGCIO to explain the reasons for the proposed Centrally Managed Messaging Platform (CMMP), and answer questions on security issues.

In a reply last July, the OGCIO said the current email system architecture was built on a decentralised model, which was incompatible with new technology such as cloud computing. It said that the system lacked security protection functions such as security patches and encryption standards. The system also failed to use computing resources optimally.

“All communications over the network relating to CMMP will be encrypted to safeguard information security,” it said. “When handling e-mails containing confidential information, users will encrypt each confidential e-mail separately with their own digital certificates to ensure that only the sender and the recipients can read the e-mails.”

“Moreover, the accounts of CMMP will be protected by the management system and an independent audit trail mechanism that can record activities in the system. No unauthorised persons, including Contractor staff, can access user data.”

“As for the daily operation and maintenance, all work involving sensitive information (including user data) will be handled by the staff of OGCIO as in the existing arrangements. Contractor staff cannot access such information.”

It added that security specifications of the system will follow government regulations, while the primary server and disaster recovery facilities will be housed at government data centres in different districts.

The awarding of the contract was posted on a Government Logistics Department website and reposted on social media by an IT industry concern group on Wednesday. The post expressed concern that the move would allow authorities in Beijing to access the Hong Kong government’s internal information.

“Everything in the government has been taken over by mainlanders, even internal communication systems were awarded to a mainland company, and the cost was not cheap – why did it get the bid? You understand why,” one commenter said.

“Why doesn’t the Innovation and Technology Bureau move its office to Shenzhen? What’s the point of them staying in Hong Kong?” another joked.

Wong Ho-wa, an IT sector member of the chief executive election committee, told HKFP that the data will only be stored in Hong Kong, according to the tender.

“The important thing is that there must be an audit of the system after it is completed,” he said.

“Anyway, I think public concern is justified,” he said, adding that it was “weird” for such a project to be granted to a mainland company.

Local participation


At a Finance Committee meeting last November, IT sector lawmaker Charles Mok asked if the government’s requirements were too strict. He said local companies would have a hard time winning the contract.

In response, Deputy Government Chief Information Officer Victor Lam said that the government would not rule out awarding the contract to local or overseas companies. Lam also said bidders must fulfil all requirements of the tender, then the government would choose the one with the lowest bidding price.

“In our understanding, many local companies are interested in participating in this project,” Lam said at the time.

“The requirements are appropriate. This is a rather large-scale project involving 10,000 users. There must be a 99.95 per cent [reliability] for the 10,000 users. If companies do not have the experience to do this, we would not have the confidence to implement this system.”

“If local companies cannot do so on their own, they can also work with larger companies to create this system.”

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Concerns Mount Over Potential Saudi Uranium Enrichment in Prospective US Nuclear Accord
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
Investability Emerges as the Defining Test of Saudi Arabia’s Next Market Phase
Saudi Arabia’s Packaging Market Accelerates as Sustainability and E-Commerce Drive Transformation
Saudi Arabia’s Strategic Minerals Drive Offers Lessons for Europe’s Supply Chain Ambitions
Saudi Arabia Unveils $32 Billion Push Into Theme Parks and Global Entertainment
Saudi Crude Exports to India Climb Sharply, Closing Gap With Russia
Saudi Arabia’s Halal Cosmetics Market Expands as Faith and Ethical Beauty Drive Growth
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
ImmunityBio Secures Saudi Partnerships to Launch Flagship Cancer Therapy
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Launch Expanded Renewable Energy Partnership
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Saudi Arabia Tops Middle East Green Building Rankings with Record Growth in 2025
Qatar and Saudi Arabia Each Commit One Billion Dollars to President Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ Initiative
Ramadan 2026 Prayer Times Set as Fasting Begins in Saudi Arabia and Egypt Announces Dates
Saudi Arabia Launches Ramadan 2026 Hotel Campaign to Boost Religious and Leisure Tourism
Saudi Arabia Seeks Reroute of Greece-Bound Fibre-Optic Cable Through Syria Instead of Israel
Saudi-Backed Scopely Acquires Majority Stake in Turkey’s Loom Games to Expand Mobile Portfolio
Zodiac Milpro Launches Zid Marine Joint Venture in Saudi Arabia to Expand Regional Shipbuilding
Saudi Arabia Reaffirms Reform Path Amid Claims of Ideological Reversal
Calls Grow for Saudi Arabia and UAE to Settle Differences Through Direct Dialogue
Jensen Huang just told the story of how Elon Musk became NVIDIA’s very first customer for their powerful AI supercomputer
British couple sentenced to 10 years in Iran for espionage
Former British Prince Andrew Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office
Unitree Robotics founder Wang Xingxing showcases future robot deployment during Spring Festival Gala.
Prince William Holds Talks with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman During Saudi Visit
Saudi Arabia’s Humain Commits $3 Billion Investment to Elon Musk’s xAI
SCOPA Executive Unveils Ambitious Relaunch Strategy for Saudi Production Company
Saudi Arabia Sees Rise in Business Visa Rejections Amid Tighter Compliance Checks
Saudi PIF Transfers Take-Two Stake to Savvy Games Group in Strategic Gaming Push
Jimmy Carr Says He ‘Loved’ Saudi Arabia Show Amid Debate Over Performing in the Kingdom
Sotheby’s ‘Origins II’ Auction Signals Saudi Collectors’ Shift Toward Cultural Legacy
EY and Microsoft Deepen Saudi Arabia Partnership with Launch of EY Studio+
Google Pay Launches Support for Mastercard Cards in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia Bolsters Maritime Surveillance Fleet with Four C-27J Patrol Aircraft
Kazakhstan and Saudi Arabia Deepen Strategic Partnership with New Investment and Energy Agreements
Saudi Crown Prince Receives Written Message from Kazakhstan’s President Amid Expanding Strategic Ties
ImmunityBio Shares Rise After Saudi Arabia BCG Manufacturing Update Spurs Investor Optimism
Global Music Star Tyla Confirmed as Headliner at 2026 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix Entertainment Lineup
Somalia and Saudi Arabia Forge New Military Partnership Amid Regional Power Shifts
Saudi Arabia and Several Nations Criticize Israeli West Bank Land Measures as Diplomatic Tensions Rise
Saudi Public Investment Fund Transfers Stake in Take-Two Interactive as Portfolio Strategy Evolves
Saudi Arabia’s Flagship Defense Expo Highlights Industrial Ambitions and Expanding Arms Portfolio
Strategic Divergence Deepens as Saudi Arabia and UAE Recalibrate Gulf Partnership
Saudi Arabia Confirms Start of Ramadan as Crescent Moon Sighted, While Other Nations Begin a Day Later
Rubio Calls for Sweeping U.N. Reform, Saying It Has Failed to End Wars in Gaza and Ukraine
10,000 Condoms Distributed at Winter Olympics 2026 Athlete Village Depleted Within 72 Hours
Prince William Meets Saudi Crown Prince as Epstein-Andrew Fallout Casts Shadow
×