Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Friday, May 22, 2026

China tells US to reverse decision to blacklist Xinjiang tech firms

Surveillance and facial recognition firms targeted over their role in the region, where one million Muslims are reported to have been detained.
Beijing declines to say whether it will retaliate as two sides prepare to resume trade talks.

Beijing has demanded that the US revoke a decision to add 28 Chinese government and business entities to an export blacklist over their role in Xinjiang – but stopped short of saying whether it would retaliate.

Speaking days before high-level trade talks resume in Washington, foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang told reporters to “stay tuned” when asked if China would act over the blacklisting of some of the country’s biggest producers of surveillance equipment and artificial intelligence start-ups.

He went on to accuse the US of having “sinister intentions” and said Washington should immediately correct its mistakes and stop interfering in China’s affairs.

“China will continue to take firm and forceful measures to resolutely safeguard national sovereignty, security and development interests,” he said.

The US Commerce Department said the entities had been targeted over the “brutal suppression” of Muslims in the region, where China has been accused of detaining more than a million ethnic Uygurs and other Muslims – the equivalent of around 10 per cent of the Uygur population.

Geng denied that human rights abuses were occurring in the far western region, saying: “The so-called human rights issue of the US does not exist in Xinjiang. The measures taken by China to eliminate extremism from the roots are fully in line with Chinese law and international practice.”

Noting his remarks were more conciliatory than another ministry statement in May, analysts said Beijing was apparently more concerned about the fate of the first official trade talks in more than two months.


US adds Chinese surveillance giant Hikvision to trade blacklist

The US Commerce Department expanded its trade blacklist on Monday to include 20 local public security bureaus in Xinjiang and eight technology giants, including Hikvision and Zhejiang Dahua Technology, two of the world’s largest manufacturers of video surveillance products.

The list also includes leaders in facial recognition technology, SenseTime Group and Megvii Technology, as well as other companies that specialise in voice recognition and data – iFlytek, Xiamen Meiya Pico Information and Yixin Science and Technology.

These entities have been involved “in the implementation of China’s campaign of repression, mass arbitrary detention and high-technology surveillance against Uygurs, Kazakhs, and other members of Muslim minority groups” in Xinjiang, the Commerce Department said in the filing.

A spokesman for the department said the move was unrelated to trade negotiations, but said it would not tolerate “brutal suppression of ethnic minorities within China”.

Hikvision said in a statement that it strongly opposed the decision and had been trying to address the US administration’s concerns for the past year.

The punishment will “hurt Hikvision’s US business partners and negatively impact the US economy,” the company said.
Reuters reported that in August Hikvision, officially known as Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co Ltd, with a market value of about US$42 billion, receives nearly 30 per cent of its US$7 billion in revenue from overseas.

Lu Xiang, a research fellow on US issues with the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, said the blacklist “is a very unfriendly move by the US government and not helpful to the overall US-China relations” ahead of the trade talks.

“It’s an issue apart from the trade front, and the Chinese delegation won’t discuss the Xinjiang issue with the US in the trade talks,” he said.

The Commerce Department previously added Huawei and more than 100 affiliates to the entity list, despite the Chinese tech giant’s repeated denials that it has links to the Chinese government, military or intelligence services. It is now suing the US government over the restrictions.

Julian Ku, a professor at Hofstra University's law school, said it was unusual to use the entity list to target human rights abuses and the move marked a major shift in how it was used.

“For the very first time anywhere, a government is taking concrete action against China over its policies in Xinjiang. Up to now, it's all been talk (and not even that much talk). Now, at least, we have a little action,” he tweeted.

But he said blacklisting the entities was not as harsh as imposing sanctions under the Global Magnitsky Act, which Human Rights Watch and members of Congress have called for.

In April, a bipartisan group of US lawmakers urged the move against Chinese companies that were “complicit in human rights abuses” specifically citing Hikvision and Dahua.

While it is still possible for US exporters to petition for licences to sell to Hikvision and other affected Chinese companies on the entity list, the Magnitsky Act was designed to target global human rights violators with freezes on any US assets, US travel bans and prohibitions on Americans doing business with them.

“In other words, this might be the least worst option for Hikvision, etc, since they may not be totally cut off from the US market. And the administration can say it is doing something on Xinjiang (which it is, but not as much as it could do),” Ku said.

Republican Senator Marco Rubio praised the Commerce Department’s move. “The Trump administration is sending a strong, clear message that the United States will hold the Chinese government and Communist Party and their enablers accountable for Beijing’s large-scale, systematic and egregious human rights abuses against Uygurs and other religious ethnic minorities in Xinjiang,” Rubio said.
Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
The Great Western Exit: Why Best Citizens Are Fleeing the Rich World [PODCAST]
The New Robber Barons of Intelligence: Are AI Bosses More Powerful Than Rockefeller?
The AI Gold Rush Is Coming for America’s Last Open Spaces [Podcast]
The Pentagon’s AI Squeeze: Eight Tech Giants Get In, Anthropic Gets Shut Out [Podcast]
The War Map: Professor Jiang’s Dark Theory of Iran, Trump, China, Russia, Israel, and the Coming Global Shock [Podcast]
AI Isn’t Stealing Your Job. It’s Dismantling It Piece by Piece.
Kennedy’s Quiet War on Antidepressants Sparks Alarm Across America’s Medical Establishment
Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Crosses Hormuz via Iran-Controlled Route
Crypto Scammers Capitalize on Maritime Chaos Near the Strait of Hormuz: A Rising Threat to Shipping Companies
Changi Airport: How Singapore Engineered the World’s Most Efficient Travel Experience
News Roundup
Microsoft lost 2.5 millions users (French government) to Linux
Strategic Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Security Concerns as Trump Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Keeps Red Sea Oil Exports Flowing Despite Regional Tensions
Pipeline Attack Cuts Significant Share of Saudi Arabia’s Oil Export Capacity
Saudi Business Leader Abudawood Appointed Chairman of Merit Incentives Group
TotalEnergies Confirms Damage at Saudi Refinery Following Security Incident
Saudi Arabia Launches Early Construction Phase for King Salman Stadium Project
Saudi Shift Away from Longstanding Dollar Oil Framework Gains Attention Amid Iran Conflict
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Resolve Long-Running Transit Visa Dispute
Saudi Oil Capacity and Pipeline Flows Reduced as Supply Risks Intensify
TotalEnergies Reports Damage to Saudi SATORP Refinery Following Security Incidents
Gulf States Assess Prospects of U.S.-Iran Truce as Regional Stability Efforts Intensify
South Korea Resumes Honey Exports to Saudi Arabia Following Sanitary Approval
Saudi Arabia Carries Out Sentences in Eastern Province Following Security Convictions
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Backs King Street’s Regional Credit Strategy
Saudi Arabia Secures World Cup Return as Egypt Celebrates Landmark Qualification
Iran and Saudi Arabia Intensify Diplomatic Engagement Amid Regional Tensions
Russia and Saudi Arabia Open Visa-Free Travel Corridor for Citizens
Saudi Oil Output Capacity Reduced by 600,000 Barrels Per Day Amid Regional Conflict
Saudi Arabia Suspends Operations at Select Energy Sites as Precautionary Measure
Saudi Arabia Halts Operations at Multiple Energy Facilities Amid Heightened Tensions
Global Markets Jolt as Iran Signals Ceasefire Breakdown and Rising Regional Tensions
King Street Aligns with Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund to Expand Alternative Investments in Middle East
Attack on Saudi Arabia’s Jubail Petrochemical Hub Raises Global Supply Concerns
Debate Emerges Over Saudi Strategic Decisions as Gulf Cooperation Council Dynamics Come Into Focus
Saudi Arabia Expands Full Workforce Localisation to 69 Professions in Major Labour Reform
Emerging Alliance of Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt and Saudi Arabia Signals New Regional Power Dynamic Amid Iran Conflict
Iran Linked to Strikes Across Gulf States Following Refinery Attack Escalation
Saudi Arabia Voices Concern Over Fragile US–Iran Ceasefire Stability
Starmer Warns Sustained Effort Needed to Ensure US–Iran Ceasefire Holds
Saudi Arabia’s Key East-West Oil Pipeline Targeted Following Ceasefire Announcement
Iran Targets Saudi Arabia’s East-West Oil Pipeline in Escalating Regional Tensions
Trump Warns of Civilizational Stakes as Iran Halts Negotiations
Saudi Companies Expand Remote Work Measures Ahead of Iran-Related Security Concerns
Iran Warns of Strikes on Saudi Energy Infrastructure if US Targets Its Facilities
Iran Urges Civilians to Form Human Shields Around Nuclear Sites as Diplomatic Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Raises Oil Prices to Record Premiums Amid Supply Pressures Linked to Iran Conflict
Key Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Heightened Security Concerns Linked to Iran
Formula One Calendar Gap Explained as Fans Await Next Grand Prix
×