Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Friday, May 22, 2026

China and US promise to cooperate in fight against coronavirus – but how long will it last?

Xi Jinping and Donald Trump agree to work together to combat Covid-19, but acrimonious relationship between the two sides raises questions about how long a truce can last. Conversation follows agreement among G20 countries to ‘spare no effort’ to tackle the pandemic

The leaders of China and the United States have promised to cooperate to contain the Covid-19 pandemic but observers have questioned how long this state of affairs will last.

US and Chinese officials, including US President Donald Trump, have been trading barbs for weeks but Trump said on Friday that the two countries were working together closely.

Trump’s Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, said China would support the US but also called on Washington to take concrete steps to push forward cooperation.

The phone conversation between the leaders came after the Group of 20 major economies pledged solidarity to contain the outbreak, which has infected 525,000 people and killed more than 23,600 people worldwide.



However, relations between China and the US have been on a downward trajectory, with each side blaming the other for a slow response to the crisis and US officials referring to the coronavirus that causes the disease as a “Chinese virus”.

Observers said the more positive atmosphere might not last long, citing the other causes of tensions in their relationship and arguing that officials might continue to play the blame game.

Liu Weidong, a specialist in US-Chinese relations from the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, said the phone conversation would not change the decline in the two sides’ relationship.

“Other than the temporary cooperation on curbing the pandemic, Trump did not actively respond to Xi’s call for stronger ties between the two nations, and this is an alarming sign, since Trump might take advantage of the pandemic to exert more pressure on China for strategic needs,” Liu said.

But he added: “The incendiary remarks from both nations are expected to stop after this call.”

After the talks, Trump tweeted that the conversation had been“very good”.

“Discussed in great details the CoronaVirus that is ravaging large parts of our Planet. China has been through much and has developed a strong understanding of the Virus. We are working closely together. Much respect!” he wrote.

For his part, Xi told Trump that China had been transparent and responsible in its release of information, including the gene sequence of the coronavirus, since the start of the outbreak, and had given help to other nations, according to state broadcaster CCTV.

In a veiled swipe at US officials, including Trump, for making repeated references to “the Chinese virus” or “Wuhan virus”, Xi said: “The virus knows no boundaries and ethnicity, and it is our common enemy. The international community can only defeat it through working together.

“The relationship of China and the US is at a critical juncture. Cooperation is mutually beneficial to both nations, while fighting will hurt. Cooperation is the only correct choice.

“It is hoped that the United States will take concrete actions to improve China-US relations, and the two sides will work together to strengthen cooperation in areas such as epidemic control,” he said.


Xi said he was concerned about the outbreak in the US and health officials from the two sides were in constant communication.
“China is willing to continue to share information and experience with the United States without reservations,” he said.

The relationship between China and the US has hit the lowest point in decades with the expulsion of American journalists from China in retaliation for US restrictions placed on Chinese media organisations and a Wall Street Journal commentary with a headline Beijing deemed to be racist.

Adding to the tension, officials from the two nations have been exchanging barbs. The US has criticised China, where the outbreak was first reported, for its slow initial response and attempts to silence people who raised the alarm about Covid-19.
But Beijing has said it informed the US in early January. Trump also angered Beijing by referring the “Chinese virus” after weeks of criticism that it was racist.

Chinese diplomats have also promoted an unproven conspiracy theory that the virus may have been brought to China by the US Army during military games in Wuhan, while their US counterparts have accused China of ordering virus samples to be destroyed in early January.

The tensions only calmed down when Trump stopped using the term “Chinese virus” this week and China’s ambassador to the US said it was “crazy” to spread rumours about the coronavirus originating from a US military laboratory.
Chin-hao Huang, an assistant professor of political science at Yale-NUS College in Singapore, said the timing of the phone call was not a coincidence.

“It’s rather strategically timed. The call came at this pivotal period where we see that the US has surpassed the number of confirmed cases in China, so that’s I think a pretty big deal,” he said.

Calculations by Johns Hopkins University show that the US has 85,996 infections, overtaking mainland China’s official tally of 81,340, although the accuracy of that figure has been questioned.

“You have the two largest economies in the world now also, the two largest countries with the highest number of confirmed cases — for the call to take place at this time, it's a bit of a symbolic gesture, ‘we’re in this together’,” Huang said.

“I think the decision to move beyond that blame game is probably signalling that both sides realise that there’s still a lot of work ahead, not just on the pandemic side.”

Xi and Trump both attended the G20 online special meeting on Thursday to discuss the pandemic with other world leaders. In a joint statement released after the meeting, the 20 countries pledged to “spare no effort, both individually and collectively” to protect lives; safeguard people’s livelihoods; protect financial stability and revive growth; minimise disruption to trade; provide help to all countries in need; and coordinate on public health measures.

The leaders also agreed to inject US$5 trillion into the global economy.

Liang Yunxiang, an international relations specialist from Peking University, said the phone call between Xi and Trump sent out a positive signal to the international community.



“China and the US are locked in a blame game and a war of words recently, bringing uncertainties to the world. And this call, at least on the surface, emphasised cooperation and engagement, which will help stabilise the world by making a gesture that the two countries won’t end up fighting,” said Liang.

“However, there were many deep-seated problems before the pandemic started, and these problems are expected to last no matter what Xi and Trump said in the phone call. In this sense, the call can only be seen as a ‘tactical truce’ between Beijing and Washington.”

Wang Yiwei, a professor of international relations at Renmin University of China in Beijing, echoed Liang’s view and said China and the US need to find more “converging interests” to prevent their relationship becoming even rockier in the future.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
The Great Western Exit: Why Best Citizens Are Fleeing the Rich World [PODCAST]
The New Robber Barons of Intelligence: Are AI Bosses More Powerful Than Rockefeller?
The AI Gold Rush Is Coming for America’s Last Open Spaces [Podcast]
The Pentagon’s AI Squeeze: Eight Tech Giants Get In, Anthropic Gets Shut Out [Podcast]
The War Map: Professor Jiang’s Dark Theory of Iran, Trump, China, Russia, Israel, and the Coming Global Shock [Podcast]
AI Isn’t Stealing Your Job. It’s Dismantling It Piece by Piece.
Kennedy’s Quiet War on Antidepressants Sparks Alarm Across America’s Medical Establishment
Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Crosses Hormuz via Iran-Controlled Route
Crypto Scammers Capitalize on Maritime Chaos Near the Strait of Hormuz: A Rising Threat to Shipping Companies
Changi Airport: How Singapore Engineered the World’s Most Efficient Travel Experience
News Roundup
Microsoft lost 2.5 millions users (French government) to Linux
Strategic Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Security Concerns as Trump Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Keeps Red Sea Oil Exports Flowing Despite Regional Tensions
Pipeline Attack Cuts Significant Share of Saudi Arabia’s Oil Export Capacity
Saudi Business Leader Abudawood Appointed Chairman of Merit Incentives Group
TotalEnergies Confirms Damage at Saudi Refinery Following Security Incident
Saudi Arabia Launches Early Construction Phase for King Salman Stadium Project
Saudi Shift Away from Longstanding Dollar Oil Framework Gains Attention Amid Iran Conflict
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Resolve Long-Running Transit Visa Dispute
Saudi Oil Capacity and Pipeline Flows Reduced as Supply Risks Intensify
TotalEnergies Reports Damage to Saudi SATORP Refinery Following Security Incidents
Gulf States Assess Prospects of U.S.-Iran Truce as Regional Stability Efforts Intensify
South Korea Resumes Honey Exports to Saudi Arabia Following Sanitary Approval
Saudi Arabia Carries Out Sentences in Eastern Province Following Security Convictions
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Backs King Street’s Regional Credit Strategy
Saudi Arabia Secures World Cup Return as Egypt Celebrates Landmark Qualification
Iran and Saudi Arabia Intensify Diplomatic Engagement Amid Regional Tensions
Russia and Saudi Arabia Open Visa-Free Travel Corridor for Citizens
Saudi Oil Output Capacity Reduced by 600,000 Barrels Per Day Amid Regional Conflict
Saudi Arabia Suspends Operations at Select Energy Sites as Precautionary Measure
Saudi Arabia Halts Operations at Multiple Energy Facilities Amid Heightened Tensions
Global Markets Jolt as Iran Signals Ceasefire Breakdown and Rising Regional Tensions
King Street Aligns with Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund to Expand Alternative Investments in Middle East
Attack on Saudi Arabia’s Jubail Petrochemical Hub Raises Global Supply Concerns
Debate Emerges Over Saudi Strategic Decisions as Gulf Cooperation Council Dynamics Come Into Focus
Saudi Arabia Expands Full Workforce Localisation to 69 Professions in Major Labour Reform
Emerging Alliance of Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt and Saudi Arabia Signals New Regional Power Dynamic Amid Iran Conflict
Iran Linked to Strikes Across Gulf States Following Refinery Attack Escalation
Saudi Arabia Voices Concern Over Fragile US–Iran Ceasefire Stability
Starmer Warns Sustained Effort Needed to Ensure US–Iran Ceasefire Holds
Saudi Arabia’s Key East-West Oil Pipeline Targeted Following Ceasefire Announcement
Iran Targets Saudi Arabia’s East-West Oil Pipeline in Escalating Regional Tensions
Trump Warns of Civilizational Stakes as Iran Halts Negotiations
Saudi Companies Expand Remote Work Measures Ahead of Iran-Related Security Concerns
Iran Warns of Strikes on Saudi Energy Infrastructure if US Targets Its Facilities
Iran Urges Civilians to Form Human Shields Around Nuclear Sites as Diplomatic Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Raises Oil Prices to Record Premiums Amid Supply Pressures Linked to Iran Conflict
Key Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Heightened Security Concerns Linked to Iran
Formula One Calendar Gap Explained as Fans Await Next Grand Prix
×