Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Saturday, Feb 21, 2026

Tensions rise in Lebanon after judge investigating Beirut blast takes aim at top officials

The fallout continued on Tuesday after Tarek Bitar, the Lebanese judge investigating the devastating explosion at Beirut’s port in August 2020, charged the country’s top prosecutor, Ghassan Oueidat, and seven other officials in connection with the blast. They reportedly face allegations of homicide, arson and other crimes.
Bitar surprised many people on Monday when he first announced he was resuming his investigation, which had been suspended for more a year amid political and legal opposition, and then said he would be filing charges against leading security and judicial officials, Oueidat included.

The announcement heightened long-running tensions between Bitar and the public prosecution office. Oueidat rejected the decision and said Bitar “has been removed from the case.”

More than a dozen senior officials are now in Bitar’s sights in connection with the explosion, including Abbas Ibrahim, the head of Lebanese General Security; Tony Saliba, the director-general of State Security; and judges Ghassan Khoury, Carla Shawah and Jad Maalouf.

The explosion on Aug. 4, 2020, destroyed most of Beirut’s port and neighboring parts of the capital, killing more than 215 people and injuring more than 6,500.

Information leaked by the Bar Association revealed that Bitar has filed charges against Oueidat, the country’s highest judicial authority and member of the Supreme Judicial Council; Brig. Gen. Assaad Toufaili, chairman of the Supreme Council of Customs; Gracia Al-Azzi, a member of the Supreme Council of Customs; Brig. Gen. Camille Daher, the former head of military intelligence; Jawdat Oueidat, a former senior military intelligence officer; and Gen. Jean Kahwaji, a former army commander.

Bitar has also subpoenaed former Prime Minister Hassan Diab, MPs Ghazi Zeaiter and Ali Hassan Khalil, and former MP Nohad Machnouk. They responded by filing complaints against Bitar and calling for his removal from the case.

Bitar intends to interview them in the coming month about their alleged roles in “possible intentional killing” and “functional negligence.” On Tuesday, he notified Diab, Machnouk and Zeaiter of the dates on which they are expected to appear for questioning and displayed the summons sent to them.

The judge said he based his decision to resume his inquiry on a judicial study that found he was permitted to resume his judicial work 13 months after it was suspended as a result of complaints filed against him.

His announcements were welcomed by the families of the victims of the explosion, and of those detained in connection with it, who expect Bitar to question senior officials suspected of blame.

But Hatem Madi, a former prosecutor general, told Arab News: “I am worried about the weak image and fragile reputation of the judiciary. The study that Bitar relied on to resume work is a fatal error.”

Bitar’s move revived political debates and fears of escalating tensions on the streets, as dozens of protesters blocked a road in the Al-Shiah-Ain Al-Rummaneh area of Beirut with burning tires.

Previous protests, reportedly instigated by Hezbollah and the Amal Movement, demanding Bitar’s removal from the case escalated into a bloody confrontation with residents of a Christian-majority area.

A parliamentary committee meeting on Tuesday that was due to discuss laws on the independence of the judiciary descended into squabbling and heated exchanges between representatives of Hezbollah and the Amal Movement, who accused Bitar of “implementing foreign agendas,” and MPs from parties that oppose Hezbollah, who support the judge and his work.

Oweidat issued a statement on Tuesday saying that Bitar had “ignored us and considered that we do not exist as the public prosecution, and in return we will consider him non-existent.”

He denied that he intended to sue Bitar and added: “This matter is out of the question. Judge Bitar has his hands tied and the decision to return to work is illegal.”

In addition to announcing the charges against top officials, Bitar had also requested the release, without bail, of five people detained in connection with the case and that they be prevented from traveling. In light of row over his decisions, the detainees have not been released. A total of 17 people are currently in custody.

In a message posted on its official Twitter account, the US embassy in Lebanon wrote: “We support and urge Lebanese authorities to complete a swift and transparent investigation into the horrific explosion at the Port of Beirut.”
Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Concerns Mount Over Potential Saudi Uranium Enrichment in Prospective US Nuclear Accord
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
Investability Emerges as the Defining Test of Saudi Arabia’s Next Market Phase
Saudi Arabia’s Packaging Market Accelerates as Sustainability and E-Commerce Drive Transformation
Saudi Arabia’s Strategic Minerals Drive Offers Lessons for Europe’s Supply Chain Ambitions
Saudi Arabia Unveils $32 Billion Push Into Theme Parks and Global Entertainment
Saudi Crude Exports to India Climb Sharply, Closing Gap With Russia
Saudi Arabia’s Halal Cosmetics Market Expands as Faith and Ethical Beauty Drive Growth
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
ImmunityBio Secures Saudi Partnerships to Launch Flagship Cancer Therapy
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Launch Expanded Renewable Energy Partnership
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Saudi Arabia Tops Middle East Green Building Rankings with Record Growth in 2025
Qatar and Saudi Arabia Each Commit One Billion Dollars to President Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ Initiative
Ramadan 2026 Prayer Times Set as Fasting Begins in Saudi Arabia and Egypt Announces Dates
Saudi Arabia Launches Ramadan 2026 Hotel Campaign to Boost Religious and Leisure Tourism
Saudi Arabia Seeks Reroute of Greece-Bound Fibre-Optic Cable Through Syria Instead of Israel
Saudi-Backed Scopely Acquires Majority Stake in Turkey’s Loom Games to Expand Mobile Portfolio
Zodiac Milpro Launches Zid Marine Joint Venture in Saudi Arabia to Expand Regional Shipbuilding
Saudi Arabia Reaffirms Reform Path Amid Claims of Ideological Reversal
Calls Grow for Saudi Arabia and UAE to Settle Differences Through Direct Dialogue
Jensen Huang just told the story of how Elon Musk became NVIDIA’s very first customer for their powerful AI supercomputer
British couple sentenced to 10 years in Iran for espionage
Former British Prince Andrew Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office
Unitree Robotics founder Wang Xingxing showcases future robot deployment during Spring Festival Gala.
Prince William Holds Talks with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman During Saudi Visit
Saudi Arabia’s Humain Commits $3 Billion Investment to Elon Musk’s xAI
SCOPA Executive Unveils Ambitious Relaunch Strategy for Saudi Production Company
Saudi Arabia Sees Rise in Business Visa Rejections Amid Tighter Compliance Checks
Saudi PIF Transfers Take-Two Stake to Savvy Games Group in Strategic Gaming Push
Jimmy Carr Says He ‘Loved’ Saudi Arabia Show Amid Debate Over Performing in the Kingdom
Sotheby’s ‘Origins II’ Auction Signals Saudi Collectors’ Shift Toward Cultural Legacy
EY and Microsoft Deepen Saudi Arabia Partnership with Launch of EY Studio+
Google Pay Launches Support for Mastercard Cards in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia Bolsters Maritime Surveillance Fleet with Four C-27J Patrol Aircraft
Kazakhstan and Saudi Arabia Deepen Strategic Partnership with New Investment and Energy Agreements
Saudi Crown Prince Receives Written Message from Kazakhstan’s President Amid Expanding Strategic Ties
ImmunityBio Shares Rise After Saudi Arabia BCG Manufacturing Update Spurs Investor Optimism
Global Music Star Tyla Confirmed as Headliner at 2026 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix Entertainment Lineup
Somalia and Saudi Arabia Forge New Military Partnership Amid Regional Power Shifts
Saudi Arabia and Several Nations Criticize Israeli West Bank Land Measures as Diplomatic Tensions Rise
Saudi Public Investment Fund Transfers Stake in Take-Two Interactive as Portfolio Strategy Evolves
Saudi Arabia’s Flagship Defense Expo Highlights Industrial Ambitions and Expanding Arms Portfolio
Strategic Divergence Deepens as Saudi Arabia and UAE Recalibrate Gulf Partnership
Saudi Arabia Confirms Start of Ramadan as Crescent Moon Sighted, While Other Nations Begin a Day Later
Rubio Calls for Sweeping U.N. Reform, Saying It Has Failed to End Wars in Gaza and Ukraine
10,000 Condoms Distributed at Winter Olympics 2026 Athlete Village Depleted Within 72 Hours
Prince William Meets Saudi Crown Prince as Epstein-Andrew Fallout Casts Shadow
×