Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Saturday, May 23, 2026

Saudi ship ‘carrying weapons’ docks secretly in UK under cover of darkness

Human rights groups have voiced ‘serious concerns’ after a Saudi Arabian cargo ship, feared to be carrying weapons for the Yemen conflict, made a ‘cloak-and-dagger’ stop at a UK dock on Wednesday night.

The state-owned owned Bahri Yanbu cargo ship stopped in Kent under the cover of darkness.

Protesters had been awaiting the ships arrival at Tilbury Docks, Essex, but it made port in Sheerness instead.

Amnesty International said the visit raised ‘serious concerns’ and asked what UK authorities knew about the Bahri Yanbu’s cargo.

Oliver Sprague, Amnesty International UK’s arms control director, said: ‘This cloak-and-dagger docking raises a whole host of very serious concerns over the UK’s possible part in continuing to fuel the deadly conflict in Yemen.

‘The Bahri Yanbu, a known arms delivery ship, hastily switched ports and was in and out of Sheerness under cover of darkness in less than three hours.’

Yemen has been in a state of civil war since 2014, when a rebel movement known as the Houthis captured the country’s capital Sanaa and overthrew the government.

Saudi Arabia has been leading a coalition of countries in carrying out airstrikes against the rebels in a bid to overthrow the Houthis and restore what it claims is Yemen’s ‘legitimate government’.

The Saudi-led bombing campaign has led to the deaths of tens of thousands of civilians, with a Saudi blockade leaving millions in the country at risk of starvation.

The controversial cargo carrier spent just two hours and 12 minutes berthed in the Kent port.

Vessel-tracking information suggests the Bahri Yanbu arrived in Sheerness about 9.14pm and left about 11.27pm, apparently for Cherbourg in France on its way home to the Persian Gulf.

Mr Sprague added: ‘This shadowy docking operation occurred while answers to vital legal questions were still being sought from the Government about the ship’s cargo and the licences that may have been issued to allow for weapons to pass through UK ports.

‘What did the UK authorities know about the Bahri Yanbu’s cargo when it docked at Sheerness last night?

‘Were there arms bound for Yemen already on it, and were more weapons loaded aboard?’

Since leaving Houston, Texas the Saudi cargo ship has called at Wilmington, North Carolina, Dundalk, Maryland and then on to Saint John in Canada and Bremerhaven in Germany.

Protesters had gathered in Tilbury on Wednesday morning with anti-war banners to demonstrate against the Bahri Yanbu’s expected arrival.

Andrew Smith from Campaign Against Arms Trade said: ‘This ship should never have been allowed to dock in the UK.
‘If it is carrying weapons for use in Yemen then they could be used in war crimes and abuses for years to come.’

More protests against the Bahri Yanbu in the French port are expected, according to Amnesty International.

The charity said ‘secrecy’ surrounding the ship’s current contents meant it could not be sure if it is currently carrying weapons, but said the vessel’s ‘deplorable record’ means there is a risk that it is.

The charity believes that on its voyage through European ports in May 2019 the Bahri Yanbu’s was carrying 47 million US dollars of US-manufactured military components and equipment, much of it linked to military aircraft.

An open letter to French prime minister Edouard Philippe from Human Rights Watch calls for guarantees that any cargo loaded onto the ship at Cherbourg ‘will not be used unlawfully against Yemeni civilians’.

In June 2019, the UK suspended arms sales to Saudi Arabia and its partners after the Court of Appeal found it had approved the export of weapons without assessing whether the Saudi-led coalition had broken international law.

A Government spokesperson has previously said that it takes its arms export responsibilities ‘very seriously’ and issues export licences in accordance with strict licensing criteria.

They added: ‘We are fully committed to complying with the 20 June Court of Appeal judgment. While we appeal the judgment, we will not grant any new licences for exports to Saudi Arabia and other coalition partners for items which might be used in the conflict in Yemen.’

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
The Great Western Exit: Why Best Citizens Are Fleeing the Rich World [PODCAST]
The New Robber Barons of Intelligence: Are AI Bosses More Powerful Than Rockefeller?
The AI Gold Rush Is Coming for America’s Last Open Spaces [Podcast]
The Pentagon’s AI Squeeze: Eight Tech Giants Get In, Anthropic Gets Shut Out [Podcast]
The War Map: Professor Jiang’s Dark Theory of Iran, Trump, China, Russia, Israel, and the Coming Global Shock [Podcast]
AI Isn’t Stealing Your Job. It’s Dismantling It Piece by Piece.
Kennedy’s Quiet War on Antidepressants Sparks Alarm Across America’s Medical Establishment
Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Crosses Hormuz via Iran-Controlled Route
Crypto Scammers Capitalize on Maritime Chaos Near the Strait of Hormuz: A Rising Threat to Shipping Companies
Changi Airport: How Singapore Engineered the World’s Most Efficient Travel Experience
News Roundup
Microsoft lost 2.5 millions users (French government) to Linux
Strategic Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Security Concerns as Trump Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Keeps Red Sea Oil Exports Flowing Despite Regional Tensions
Pipeline Attack Cuts Significant Share of Saudi Arabia’s Oil Export Capacity
Saudi Business Leader Abudawood Appointed Chairman of Merit Incentives Group
TotalEnergies Confirms Damage at Saudi Refinery Following Security Incident
Saudi Arabia Launches Early Construction Phase for King Salman Stadium Project
Saudi Shift Away from Longstanding Dollar Oil Framework Gains Attention Amid Iran Conflict
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Resolve Long-Running Transit Visa Dispute
Saudi Oil Capacity and Pipeline Flows Reduced as Supply Risks Intensify
TotalEnergies Reports Damage to Saudi SATORP Refinery Following Security Incidents
Gulf States Assess Prospects of U.S.-Iran Truce as Regional Stability Efforts Intensify
South Korea Resumes Honey Exports to Saudi Arabia Following Sanitary Approval
Saudi Arabia Carries Out Sentences in Eastern Province Following Security Convictions
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Backs King Street’s Regional Credit Strategy
Saudi Arabia Secures World Cup Return as Egypt Celebrates Landmark Qualification
Iran and Saudi Arabia Intensify Diplomatic Engagement Amid Regional Tensions
Russia and Saudi Arabia Open Visa-Free Travel Corridor for Citizens
Saudi Oil Output Capacity Reduced by 600,000 Barrels Per Day Amid Regional Conflict
Saudi Arabia Suspends Operations at Select Energy Sites as Precautionary Measure
Saudi Arabia Halts Operations at Multiple Energy Facilities Amid Heightened Tensions
Global Markets Jolt as Iran Signals Ceasefire Breakdown and Rising Regional Tensions
King Street Aligns with Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund to Expand Alternative Investments in Middle East
Attack on Saudi Arabia’s Jubail Petrochemical Hub Raises Global Supply Concerns
Debate Emerges Over Saudi Strategic Decisions as Gulf Cooperation Council Dynamics Come Into Focus
Saudi Arabia Expands Full Workforce Localisation to 69 Professions in Major Labour Reform
Emerging Alliance of Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt and Saudi Arabia Signals New Regional Power Dynamic Amid Iran Conflict
Iran Linked to Strikes Across Gulf States Following Refinery Attack Escalation
Saudi Arabia Voices Concern Over Fragile US–Iran Ceasefire Stability
Starmer Warns Sustained Effort Needed to Ensure US–Iran Ceasefire Holds
Saudi Arabia’s Key East-West Oil Pipeline Targeted Following Ceasefire Announcement
Iran Targets Saudi Arabia’s East-West Oil Pipeline in Escalating Regional Tensions
Trump Warns of Civilizational Stakes as Iran Halts Negotiations
Saudi Companies Expand Remote Work Measures Ahead of Iran-Related Security Concerns
Iran Warns of Strikes on Saudi Energy Infrastructure if US Targets Its Facilities
Iran Urges Civilians to Form Human Shields Around Nuclear Sites as Diplomatic Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Raises Oil Prices to Record Premiums Amid Supply Pressures Linked to Iran Conflict
Key Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Heightened Security Concerns Linked to Iran
Formula One Calendar Gap Explained as Fans Await Next Grand Prix
×