Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Saturday, Feb 21, 2026

Trump working on plan to lift coronavirus restrictions, asserts ‘total authority’ over state governments

Trump touts upcoming plan as hotspots in the country show signs that the Covid-19 cases and deaths are peaking. US leader dismisses talk that he would remove top infectious disease expert Dr Anthony Fauci

US President Donald Trump said his administration was close to completing guidelines for states to reopen parts of the economy closed last month to slow the spread of Covid-19, and asserted “total authority” to order such moves.

“I’ve been having many discussions with my team and top experts and we’re very close to completing a plan to open our country, hopefully, even ahead of schedule,” Trump said at a White House coronavirus task force briefing, in which the US leader lashed out more vociferously than usual at negative media reports.

Current federal guidelines have the restrictions in place until April 30.

“We will soon finalise new and very important guidelines to give governors the information they need to start safely opening their states. My administration’s plan and corresponding guidelines will give the American people the confidence they need to begin returning to normal life.”

Opening up the country “is the decision for the president of the United States”, said Trump. “That being said, we will work with the states. If they don’t do a good job, I will come in so quickly.”

Meanwhile, Trump denied that he had any plan to remove National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases director Dr Anthony Fauci from his position in the task force after the infectious disease expert made statements on Sunday in a CNN interview that had fuelled the speculation of his possible dismissal by the president.

Monday’s statements came as the US recorded a daily death toll of 1,509 and some hotspots, including the New York City area, were starting to show signs that the spread of Covid-19 may have peaked.

Various levels of government are now weighing the need to keep businesses and schools closed to contain the disease against gradually reopening businesses in cities and states to spur economic recovery.

Shortly before the briefing began, in an interview on CNN, New York governor Andrew Cuomo responded to Trump’s comment about him being the authority to announce the reopening, that “you can have a legal debate of whom has the authority to open the economy”.

“Before we get to the legal issue, I think people want to hear the plan,” Cuomo said.

“The president wants to stand up and say: ‘I have a model’. God bless you,” he added. “But let’s see the model first.”

Earlier on Monday, Cuomo announced the formation of a regional working group to map out a reopening plan along with the governors of New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Delaware and Rhode Island. Cuomo’s state has become the epicentre of the outbreak, accounting for more than a third of all US cases and 40 per cent of deaths.

The outbreak has so far infected more than 682,000 people and killed nearly 25,000 in the US.

Meanwhile, the governors of the three west coast states of California, Oregon and Washington, also said on Monday they had reached an agreement to work together to reopen their economies.

Trump has made it clear that he wants to have the country reopened soon. In March he had said he wanted to get the country working again by Easter, but backed down after top infectious disease doctors, including Fauci, said the epidemic might be reaching its US apex around that time.

World Health Organisation (WHO) officials on Monday cautioned that the lifting of any lockdowns could only occur if a country had sufficient contact tracing capabilities.

“The way down is much slower than the way up,” WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a briefing in Geneva, referring to the contagion’s epidemic curve.

“That means control measures must be lifted slowly and with control – it cannot happen all at once. Control measures can only be lifted if the right public health measures are in place, including significant capacity for contact tracing.”

To support countries making these decisions, the WHO will be publishing its updated strategic advice on Tuesday, including criteria for lifting restrictions such as the status of the virus and the health system’s capacities to detect, isolate and treat cases and trace every contact.

Fauci, who is the government’s top medical specialist, has said repeatedly that “the virus will decide when the country is to open back up”.

He expressed that view again on Sunday during an interview on CNN’s State of the Union. Fauci also said “no one is going to deny” that lives could have been saved if the US government had implemented broad containment measures earlier.

On Sunday, Trump retweeted a call to fire Fauci, a veteran of six presidential administrations.

The tweet, written by Republican DeAnna Lorraine who is running for Congress, said: “Fauci is now saying that had Trump listened to the medical experts earlier he could’ve saved more lives. Fauci was telling people on February 29 that there was nothing to worry about and it posed no threat to the US public at large.”

Lorraine’s tweet included a hashtag that said: “Time to #FireFauci.”

Fauci “is coming under attack from the right-wing critics. The president obviously has to take into account other things and measuring and balancing the risk of opening up even on a slow basis,” said Bill Cohen, former US defence secretary under president Bill Clinton on Monday SiriusXM's The Joe Madison Show.

“Thank God we’ve got Fauci there,” Cohen said. “Follow them, follow the science and follow Fauci. And the fact that he’s coming under attack tells you that he is getting to the point.”


Trump spent about 20 minutes excoriating reporters present for suggesting that his administration moved too slowly to respond to the spread of Covid-19 in the US, and ran a short video of news footage highlighting comments by more than a dozen US governors and other political leaders, who praised the US leader for his efforts.

Trump singled out The New York Times, apparently for a lengthy feature the publication ran on Saturday, which recounted a reluctance on his part to put social distancing measures in place throughout the country.

The in-depth feature, citing “dozens of interviews with current and former officials and a review of emails and other records” went into detail about the considerations that Trump took into account, mostly economic, in deciding to wait until mid-March to announce widespread mitigation measures in the US.

Trump repeatedly cited his January 31 decision to block travellers from China, and said he “did everything right” in his response so far.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Concerns Mount Over Potential Saudi Uranium Enrichment in Prospective US Nuclear Accord
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
Investability Emerges as the Defining Test of Saudi Arabia’s Next Market Phase
Saudi Arabia’s Packaging Market Accelerates as Sustainability and E-Commerce Drive Transformation
Saudi Arabia’s Strategic Minerals Drive Offers Lessons for Europe’s Supply Chain Ambitions
Saudi Arabia Unveils $32 Billion Push Into Theme Parks and Global Entertainment
Saudi Crude Exports to India Climb Sharply, Closing Gap With Russia
Saudi Arabia’s Halal Cosmetics Market Expands as Faith and Ethical Beauty Drive Growth
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
ImmunityBio Secures Saudi Partnerships to Launch Flagship Cancer Therapy
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Launch Expanded Renewable Energy Partnership
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Saudi Arabia Tops Middle East Green Building Rankings with Record Growth in 2025
Qatar and Saudi Arabia Each Commit One Billion Dollars to President Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ Initiative
Ramadan 2026 Prayer Times Set as Fasting Begins in Saudi Arabia and Egypt Announces Dates
Saudi Arabia Launches Ramadan 2026 Hotel Campaign to Boost Religious and Leisure Tourism
Saudi Arabia Seeks Reroute of Greece-Bound Fibre-Optic Cable Through Syria Instead of Israel
Saudi-Backed Scopely Acquires Majority Stake in Turkey’s Loom Games to Expand Mobile Portfolio
Zodiac Milpro Launches Zid Marine Joint Venture in Saudi Arabia to Expand Regional Shipbuilding
Saudi Arabia Reaffirms Reform Path Amid Claims of Ideological Reversal
Calls Grow for Saudi Arabia and UAE to Settle Differences Through Direct Dialogue
Jensen Huang just told the story of how Elon Musk became NVIDIA’s very first customer for their powerful AI supercomputer
British couple sentenced to 10 years in Iran for espionage
Former British Prince Andrew Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office
Unitree Robotics founder Wang Xingxing showcases future robot deployment during Spring Festival Gala.
Prince William Holds Talks with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman During Saudi Visit
Saudi Arabia’s Humain Commits $3 Billion Investment to Elon Musk’s xAI
SCOPA Executive Unveils Ambitious Relaunch Strategy for Saudi Production Company
Saudi Arabia Sees Rise in Business Visa Rejections Amid Tighter Compliance Checks
Saudi PIF Transfers Take-Two Stake to Savvy Games Group in Strategic Gaming Push
Jimmy Carr Says He ‘Loved’ Saudi Arabia Show Amid Debate Over Performing in the Kingdom
Sotheby’s ‘Origins II’ Auction Signals Saudi Collectors’ Shift Toward Cultural Legacy
EY and Microsoft Deepen Saudi Arabia Partnership with Launch of EY Studio+
Google Pay Launches Support for Mastercard Cards in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia Bolsters Maritime Surveillance Fleet with Four C-27J Patrol Aircraft
Kazakhstan and Saudi Arabia Deepen Strategic Partnership with New Investment and Energy Agreements
Saudi Crown Prince Receives Written Message from Kazakhstan’s President Amid Expanding Strategic Ties
ImmunityBio Shares Rise After Saudi Arabia BCG Manufacturing Update Spurs Investor Optimism
Global Music Star Tyla Confirmed as Headliner at 2026 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix Entertainment Lineup
Somalia and Saudi Arabia Forge New Military Partnership Amid Regional Power Shifts
Saudi Arabia and Several Nations Criticize Israeli West Bank Land Measures as Diplomatic Tensions Rise
Saudi Public Investment Fund Transfers Stake in Take-Two Interactive as Portfolio Strategy Evolves
Saudi Arabia’s Flagship Defense Expo Highlights Industrial Ambitions and Expanding Arms Portfolio
Strategic Divergence Deepens as Saudi Arabia and UAE Recalibrate Gulf Partnership
Saudi Arabia Confirms Start of Ramadan as Crescent Moon Sighted, While Other Nations Begin a Day Later
Rubio Calls for Sweeping U.N. Reform, Saying It Has Failed to End Wars in Gaza and Ukraine
10,000 Condoms Distributed at Winter Olympics 2026 Athlete Village Depleted Within 72 Hours
Prince William Meets Saudi Crown Prince as Epstein-Andrew Fallout Casts Shadow
×