Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Saturday, May 23, 2026

‘Pandemic is not over’: ministers criticised for scrapping UK Covid surveillance

‘Pandemic is not over’: ministers criticised for scrapping UK Covid surveillance

Schemes coming to an end is ‘yet another example of short-term thinking’
Ministers have been accused of “turning off the headlights at the first sign of dawn” after scrapping nationwide Covid surveillance programmes, with scientists saying it will almost certainly end up costing more money in the long run.

Last week, scientists announced that the React study – which randomly tests about 150,000 people across England each month to see how many are infected with coronavirus – will be scrapped at the end of March, and no further data will be collected beyond that point.

Funding is also being withdrawn from the Zoe covid symptom study, the Siren and Vivaldi studies (which monitor infections in health workers and care homes) and the CoMix social contacts survey, while mass free testing is due to end on 1 April.

The Office for National Statistics’ Covid infection survey, which regularly samples the same 180,000 people to estimate what percentage of the UK populations is infected, will continue.

It comes as growing numbers of new infections in multiple countries led one expert to prompt speculation that Europe could be at the start of a sixth wave of Covid infections, partly driven by the “stealth” BA.2 Omicron variant.

Dr Stephen Griffin, a virologist at the University of Leeds, said the decisions on Covid surveillance would slow the country’s ability to respond and adjust to future waves or surges of infection, making the current reliance on emergency booster programmes progressively less viable, and were at best “shortsighted”.

Griffin said: “At worst, it is symptomatic of a policy-driven movement to ignore the fact that the pandemic is not over, and that we remain in a highly dynamic situation with respect to immunity versus infection and virus evolution. This is about as far from ‘following the science’ as you can get.

“Losing these programmes will almost certainly end up costing more in terms of disruption than saved. It is a false economy, and yet another example of short-term thinking.”

Stephen Reicher, a psychologist at the University of St Andrews, said the decisions made no sense on public safety or public health grounds. “It is like turning off the headlights at the first sign of dawn. You can’t see what’s coming and you don’t know when it makes sense to turn them on again,” he said.

Earlier this month, the government announced that its Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) would no longer regularly meet to discuss coronavirus. Reicher, who sat on the Sage behavioural science subcommittee, said the decision to stop funding these surveillance studies was “far more significant than standing down Sage”.

He said: “Those scientists are still working and can reconvene quickly. But how can they work – or know if they need to reconvene – if the data isn’t there?”

The ending of free mass testing on 1 April could make the situation even worse. “Johnson’s insistence that ‘tests will be available for anybody to buy’ completely misses the point,” said Dr Kit Yates, a mathematical biologist at the University of Bath. “Many people in the UK will not be in the position to spend a significant portion of their budget on testing each week. Others will simply be put off by the cost.

“The consequence will be that testing drops significantly, people become less aware when they are infectious, and consequently less able to take the ‘personal responsibility’ that the government has been highlighting so vociferously in the aftermath of their removal of other Covid mitigations.”

According to the latest ONS figures, the percentage of people estimated to have tested positive for coronavirus rose in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland in the week ending 5 March, while the percentage of infections compatible with the Omicron BA.2 variant also increased across all countries.

Austria, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany and many other European countries have also seen a sharp increase in daily confirmed cases since the start of March.

Dr Eric Topol, director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute in La Jolla, US, said the uptick could mark the beginning of a sixth wave of Covid infections in Europe, driven by a combination of the BA.1 and BA.2 Omicron variants and the relaxation of restrictions in many countries.

Topol said: “There are definitive signs of a new wave starting throughout many countries in Europe, some of which also are also showing increases in Covid hospitalisations. It is hard, at this point, to determine if the cause is reducing or eliminating restrictions, BA.2’s higher rate of transmission, or waning of immune protection from vaccines.

“Right now is the last time that countries like the UK and US should be cutting funding or abandoning any surveillance and testing measures. As much as we all would like it to be, the pandemic is far from over.”
Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
The Great Western Exit: Why Best Citizens Are Fleeing the Rich World [PODCAST]
The New Robber Barons of Intelligence: Are AI Bosses More Powerful Than Rockefeller?
The AI Gold Rush Is Coming for America’s Last Open Spaces [Podcast]
The Pentagon’s AI Squeeze: Eight Tech Giants Get In, Anthropic Gets Shut Out [Podcast]
The War Map: Professor Jiang’s Dark Theory of Iran, Trump, China, Russia, Israel, and the Coming Global Shock [Podcast]
AI Isn’t Stealing Your Job. It’s Dismantling It Piece by Piece.
Kennedy’s Quiet War on Antidepressants Sparks Alarm Across America’s Medical Establishment
Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Crosses Hormuz via Iran-Controlled Route
Crypto Scammers Capitalize on Maritime Chaos Near the Strait of Hormuz: A Rising Threat to Shipping Companies
Changi Airport: How Singapore Engineered the World’s Most Efficient Travel Experience
News Roundup
Microsoft lost 2.5 millions users (French government) to Linux
Strategic Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Security Concerns as Trump Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Keeps Red Sea Oil Exports Flowing Despite Regional Tensions
Pipeline Attack Cuts Significant Share of Saudi Arabia’s Oil Export Capacity
Saudi Business Leader Abudawood Appointed Chairman of Merit Incentives Group
TotalEnergies Confirms Damage at Saudi Refinery Following Security Incident
Saudi Arabia Launches Early Construction Phase for King Salman Stadium Project
Saudi Shift Away from Longstanding Dollar Oil Framework Gains Attention Amid Iran Conflict
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Resolve Long-Running Transit Visa Dispute
Saudi Oil Capacity and Pipeline Flows Reduced as Supply Risks Intensify
TotalEnergies Reports Damage to Saudi SATORP Refinery Following Security Incidents
Gulf States Assess Prospects of U.S.-Iran Truce as Regional Stability Efforts Intensify
South Korea Resumes Honey Exports to Saudi Arabia Following Sanitary Approval
Saudi Arabia Carries Out Sentences in Eastern Province Following Security Convictions
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Backs King Street’s Regional Credit Strategy
Saudi Arabia Secures World Cup Return as Egypt Celebrates Landmark Qualification
Iran and Saudi Arabia Intensify Diplomatic Engagement Amid Regional Tensions
Russia and Saudi Arabia Open Visa-Free Travel Corridor for Citizens
Saudi Oil Output Capacity Reduced by 600,000 Barrels Per Day Amid Regional Conflict
Saudi Arabia Suspends Operations at Select Energy Sites as Precautionary Measure
Saudi Arabia Halts Operations at Multiple Energy Facilities Amid Heightened Tensions
Global Markets Jolt as Iran Signals Ceasefire Breakdown and Rising Regional Tensions
King Street Aligns with Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund to Expand Alternative Investments in Middle East
Attack on Saudi Arabia’s Jubail Petrochemical Hub Raises Global Supply Concerns
Debate Emerges Over Saudi Strategic Decisions as Gulf Cooperation Council Dynamics Come Into Focus
Saudi Arabia Expands Full Workforce Localisation to 69 Professions in Major Labour Reform
Emerging Alliance of Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt and Saudi Arabia Signals New Regional Power Dynamic Amid Iran Conflict
Iran Linked to Strikes Across Gulf States Following Refinery Attack Escalation
Saudi Arabia Voices Concern Over Fragile US–Iran Ceasefire Stability
Starmer Warns Sustained Effort Needed to Ensure US–Iran Ceasefire Holds
Saudi Arabia’s Key East-West Oil Pipeline Targeted Following Ceasefire Announcement
Iran Targets Saudi Arabia’s East-West Oil Pipeline in Escalating Regional Tensions
Trump Warns of Civilizational Stakes as Iran Halts Negotiations
Saudi Companies Expand Remote Work Measures Ahead of Iran-Related Security Concerns
Iran Warns of Strikes on Saudi Energy Infrastructure if US Targets Its Facilities
Iran Urges Civilians to Form Human Shields Around Nuclear Sites as Diplomatic Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Raises Oil Prices to Record Premiums Amid Supply Pressures Linked to Iran Conflict
Key Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Heightened Security Concerns Linked to Iran
Formula One Calendar Gap Explained as Fans Await Next Grand Prix
×