Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Saturday, Feb 21, 2026

Hong Kong set to shorten Covid-19 quarantine for fully vaccinated close contacts

Hong Kong set to shorten Covid-19 quarantine for fully vaccinated close contacts

Under current arrangements all occupants of a block are ordered into quarantine for 21 days if a resident is infected with a Covid-19 variant.

Hong Kong health authorities will shorten the quarantine period for fully vaccinated close contacts of Covid-19 patients under revised arrangements to be announced as early as Friday, the Post has learned.

News of the policy change came on Thursday even as authorities ordered the lockdown of a public housing block in Chai Wan – the eighth building to be placed under quarantine orders in three weeks – after a resident tested preliminary-positive for a mutated strain of the coronavirus.

The latest case was linked to a recent cluster of variant infections.

The overnight lockdown order required hundreds of residents of Fung Hing House in Hing Wah (II) Estate to undergo mandatory testing from 9pm. The testing was expected to end at 7am on Friday, and residents were likely to be sent to quarantine facilities afterwards.

Thousands have signed petitions involving two other buildings caught up in similar lockdowns, to fight against rules under which everyone in any block in which a single variant infection is found will be sent to quarantine camps for 21 days.

Testing at Fung Hing House was expected to end at 7am on Friday, and residents were likely to be sent to quarantine facilities afterwards.


Dozens of residents from the Royalton I private housing estate in Pok Fu Lam were allowed to stay home for the time being after refusing to leave.

According to sources, the plan to shorten quarantine for fully vaccinated people will apply to those who have received their second dose at least 14 days earlier.

It is not immediately clear whether the rule change will apply to close contacts of regular Covid-19 cases, who have to be quarantined for 14 days, or also to those exposed to people with variant infections. The length of the shortened quarantine period is also not clear.

Some experts have warned against such a move by the government. Respiratory medicine specialist Dr Leung Chi-chiu cautioned earlier that it would be a “dangerous move” to shorten quarantine for fully vaccinated people, pointing out that vaccines could not offer complete protection against transmission of the coronavirus.

A government quarantine centre at Penny’s Bay on Lantau Island.


In a related development, health experts have urged the authorities to investigate any attempts by those infected with the coronavirus to deliberately conceal their movements, after at least two people carrying mutated strains were accused of hampering contact tracing.

Leung said the mandatory testing imposed on the city’s 370,000 foreign domestic workers – which triggered a diplomatic backlash and forced helpers to queue for hours on end – could have been avoided if the infected pair had cooperated with officials at the outset.

The appeal to prosecute individuals who obstructed health authorities came as the city confirmed two new Covid-19 cases, imported from the Philippines and Indonesia.




Authorities on Wednesday established a transmission link between five people with a mutated strain, but a source revealed officials had encountered evasive behaviour during their efforts.

Leung said strict enforcement should be carried out to send a strong message.

“The public should know that this type of behaviour cannot be tolerated. This is a very serious incident that can endanger the community, so we cannot let our guard down. People have the responsibility to disclose their whereabouts and not conceal any information,” he said.

According to the Centre for Health Protection, an engineer from Dubai and his female friend, who were confirmed to be infected with the variant on April 17 and 18 respectively, attended a gathering with three others in a flat on the Chai Wan estate on April 13.

Domestic workers queue up in Quarry Bay for compulsory Covid-19 testing.


That trio then went to another home gathering on April 18, this time with three helpers, who all caught the strain. One of these was an earlier case from the Caribbean Coast private estate in Tung Chung.

The other two helpers lived at the Kornhill and Royalton private housing estates in Quarry Bay and Pok Fu Lam respectively.

The source said the engineer and his female friend had been uncooperative all along in providing details of their movements.





The Department of Health said it had been conducting follow-up investigations on those cases, and would consult the Department of Justice and launch prosecutions if necessary. Police said they were providing help to the contact-tracing office.

Further contact tracing revealed some of the woman’s relatives had met friends at Deep Water Bay Beach on April 25 and May 1. Beachgoers on those days will be required to undergo compulsory testing before Saturday.

The cluster also showed signs of worsening as a 67-year-old woman who lived in the Chai Wan flat was among several people who tested preliminary-positive on Thursday.

Dr Leung Chi-chiu.


University of Hong Kong microbiologist Dr Ho Pak-leung said at least three generations of transmission were involved. It began with the suspected infection of the engineer while he quarantined in a hotel.

He then passed the virus to attendees at the Chai Wan gathering, who then infected the three helpers. The Caribbean Coast helper then passed the virus to the family she worked for.

“At the moment we don’t know the whereabouts of the three helpers on their days off. If they had other gatherings or removed their masks or ate at other occasions, you would not know how many transmission chains have emerged throughout Hong Kong,” Ho said.

Leung said of the engineer: “As a highly educated individual and someone who has lived in Hong Kong before, there is no reason to believe he could forget any events that occurred in such a short period of time.

“If we are unable to find the close contacts of cases carrying mutated strains of Covid-19 and cut off the community spread of more infectious variants early, this could result in huge socio-economic consequences and possibly a fifth wave of infections.”

He said large-scale operations such as mandatory testing for all domestic workers could have been avoided if close contacts of the pair were tracked down earlier.


Ho said the engineer should be held largely responsible. He believed those who attended the Chai Wan gathering could also have concealed information, and some possibly lied.

“I think the government must take the matter seriously. It should refer the cases to police to conduct a criminal investigation. If there’s enough evidence, they should be prosecuted,” he told a radio programme.

“Otherwise, how could they answer to the public and the entire population of foreign domestic helpers in Hong Kong?”

Under the Prevention and Control of Disease Regulation, a health officer or authorised person may require individuals to provide information to help stem the spread of Covid-19.

Anyone who knowingly gives false or misleading information – including concerning their whereabouts, medical history and contact with others – faces a HK$10,000 fine and six months in jail.

The city’s 370,000 foreign domestic workers have until Sunday to undergo coronavirus testing.


Thursday’s infections push Hong Kong’s confirmed tally to 11,798 cases, with 210 related deaths.

Authorities revealed last year that a 27-year-old housewife had given them false information as they raced to contain a cluster of infections linked to the China Secret bar in Tsim Sha Tsui.

The housewife told them her friend, an infected Thai woman, had returned to her home country, when she was still in Hong Kong.

Officials believed that a woman, one of 10 from Thailand working illegally as bar hostesses, was at the centre of the China Secret outbreak.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Concerns Mount Over Potential Saudi Uranium Enrichment in Prospective US Nuclear Accord
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
Investability Emerges as the Defining Test of Saudi Arabia’s Next Market Phase
Saudi Arabia’s Packaging Market Accelerates as Sustainability and E-Commerce Drive Transformation
Saudi Arabia’s Strategic Minerals Drive Offers Lessons for Europe’s Supply Chain Ambitions
Saudi Arabia Unveils $32 Billion Push Into Theme Parks and Global Entertainment
Saudi Crude Exports to India Climb Sharply, Closing Gap With Russia
Saudi Arabia’s Halal Cosmetics Market Expands as Faith and Ethical Beauty Drive Growth
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
ImmunityBio Secures Saudi Partnerships to Launch Flagship Cancer Therapy
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Launch Expanded Renewable Energy Partnership
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Saudi Arabia Tops Middle East Green Building Rankings with Record Growth in 2025
Qatar and Saudi Arabia Each Commit One Billion Dollars to President Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ Initiative
Ramadan 2026 Prayer Times Set as Fasting Begins in Saudi Arabia and Egypt Announces Dates
Saudi Arabia Launches Ramadan 2026 Hotel Campaign to Boost Religious and Leisure Tourism
Saudi Arabia Seeks Reroute of Greece-Bound Fibre-Optic Cable Through Syria Instead of Israel
Saudi-Backed Scopely Acquires Majority Stake in Turkey’s Loom Games to Expand Mobile Portfolio
Zodiac Milpro Launches Zid Marine Joint Venture in Saudi Arabia to Expand Regional Shipbuilding
Saudi Arabia Reaffirms Reform Path Amid Claims of Ideological Reversal
Calls Grow for Saudi Arabia and UAE to Settle Differences Through Direct Dialogue
Jensen Huang just told the story of how Elon Musk became NVIDIA’s very first customer for their powerful AI supercomputer
British couple sentenced to 10 years in Iran for espionage
Former British Prince Andrew Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office
Unitree Robotics founder Wang Xingxing showcases future robot deployment during Spring Festival Gala.
Prince William Holds Talks with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman During Saudi Visit
Saudi Arabia’s Humain Commits $3 Billion Investment to Elon Musk’s xAI
SCOPA Executive Unveils Ambitious Relaunch Strategy for Saudi Production Company
Saudi Arabia Sees Rise in Business Visa Rejections Amid Tighter Compliance Checks
Saudi PIF Transfers Take-Two Stake to Savvy Games Group in Strategic Gaming Push
Jimmy Carr Says He ‘Loved’ Saudi Arabia Show Amid Debate Over Performing in the Kingdom
Sotheby’s ‘Origins II’ Auction Signals Saudi Collectors’ Shift Toward Cultural Legacy
EY and Microsoft Deepen Saudi Arabia Partnership with Launch of EY Studio+
Google Pay Launches Support for Mastercard Cards in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia Bolsters Maritime Surveillance Fleet with Four C-27J Patrol Aircraft
Kazakhstan and Saudi Arabia Deepen Strategic Partnership with New Investment and Energy Agreements
Saudi Crown Prince Receives Written Message from Kazakhstan’s President Amid Expanding Strategic Ties
ImmunityBio Shares Rise After Saudi Arabia BCG Manufacturing Update Spurs Investor Optimism
Global Music Star Tyla Confirmed as Headliner at 2026 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix Entertainment Lineup
Somalia and Saudi Arabia Forge New Military Partnership Amid Regional Power Shifts
Saudi Arabia and Several Nations Criticize Israeli West Bank Land Measures as Diplomatic Tensions Rise
Saudi Public Investment Fund Transfers Stake in Take-Two Interactive as Portfolio Strategy Evolves
Saudi Arabia’s Flagship Defense Expo Highlights Industrial Ambitions and Expanding Arms Portfolio
Strategic Divergence Deepens as Saudi Arabia and UAE Recalibrate Gulf Partnership
Saudi Arabia Confirms Start of Ramadan as Crescent Moon Sighted, While Other Nations Begin a Day Later
Rubio Calls for Sweeping U.N. Reform, Saying It Has Failed to End Wars in Gaza and Ukraine
10,000 Condoms Distributed at Winter Olympics 2026 Athlete Village Depleted Within 72 Hours
Prince William Meets Saudi Crown Prince as Epstein-Andrew Fallout Casts Shadow
×