Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Wednesday, Feb 18, 2026

FBI 'raided Donald Trump's estate for classified nuclear weapons documents'

The FBI raided Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home in search of top secret intelligence documents relating to nuclear weapons? US Attorney General said he 'personally approved' the search of the former president's estate.

The removal of such sensitive and highly classified information from the White House could explain why the federal agency took the extraordinary step of searching the home of a former president on Monday.

Classified information pertaining to nuclear weapons has its own designation under the Atomic Energy Act called Restricted Data. Violations involving restricted aata, like other classified information, are investigated by the Department of Justice Counterintelligence unit.

The Washington Post reported that the FBI feared any such documents getting into the wrong hands, particularly as Mr Trump is known to host foreign visitors at his Florida home.

The paper’s sources did not specify whether it involved weapons belonging to the United States or some other nation. Publicising details about US weapons could provide an intelligence road map to adversaries seeking to build ways of countering those systems.

The Monday search of Mr Trump’s home has sparked a political furor, with the former president and many of his Republican defenders accusing the FBI of acting out of politically motivated malice.

Senior figures in the GOP, which had broadly come out in Mr Trump’s defence, are now said to be bracing themselves. If the reporting turns out to be accurate, the scandal could be far more damaging to Mr Trump than previously acknowledged.

An unnamed official quoted by the Post also claimed signals intelligence - intercepted electronic communications like emails and phone calls of foreign leaders — was among the documents the FBI was seeking to recover.

Fox News separately reported that an insider, most likely a Secret Service officer, at the sprawling resort had provided the FBI information of the whereabouts of the some dozen boxes of documents, including some marked “top secret”.

Mr Trump called for the "immediate" release of the federal warrant the FBI used to search his estate late on Thursday, hours after the Justice Department had asked a court to unseal the warrant.

In messages posted on his Truth Social platform, Mr Trump said: "Not only will I not oppose the release of documents ... I am going a step further by encouraging the immediate release of those documents."

Earlier on Thursday, America’s chief law enforcement official said he personally approved the search of Mar-a-Lago and vowed to pursue the investigation of Mr Trump’s handling of government documents “without fear of favour”.

Merrick Garland, the Attorney General, in a rare public appearance, also gave a forthright defence of the integrity of the FBI.

He responded to criticism from Republicans by saying the search warrant would be made public, which would reveal why the Justice Department believed a crime may have been committed.

Mr Garland said: “I personally approved the decision to seek a search warrant in this matter. The [Justice] Department does not take such decisions lightly.

“Upholding the rule of law means applying the law evenly without fear of favour. Under my watch that is precisely what the Justice Department is doing.”

He said “all Americans are entitled to the presumption of innocence”.

Mr Garland also criticised “unfounded attacks on the professionalism of the FBI and Justice Department agents and prosecutors,” saying those men and women were “dedicated, patriotic public servants” and he would “not stand by silently when their integrity is unfairly attacked”.


Threats against FBI

Police in Ohio were engaged in a standoff with an armed man who allegedly tried to storm the Cincinnati office of the FBI before he was shot dead.

He was identified in various US media as Ricky Shiffer, 42, who was believed to have been wanted in connection with the storming of the US Capitol on January 6, 2021.

On the same day the FBI executed a warrant on Mar-a-Lago, an account under his name made a call on Mr Trump’s Truth Social website to "be ready for combat" and to "kill the FBI on sight."

“People, this is it,” the message said. “Leave work tomorrow as soon as the gun shop/Army-Navy store/pawn shop opens, get whatever you need to be ready for combat. We must not tolerate this one. They have been conditioning us to accept tyranny and think we can’t do anything for 2 years. This time we must respond with force.”

In his statement on Thursday, Mr Garland defended FBI agents as “dedicated, patriotic public servants” and said he would not “stand by silently when their integrity is unfairly attacked.


New lock fitted

A few days later Jay Bratt, the department’s counterintelligence chief, wrote to Mr Trump’s lawyers asking for a better lock on the door where remaining White House documents were stored.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Mr Bratt also asked that “all the boxes that were moved from the White House to Mar-a-Lago (along with any other items in that room) be preserved in that room in their current condition until further notice”.

The lock was fitted the next day, but at some point after that the informant was said to have contacted the FBI with specific information, leading them to get a search warrant.

There were said to have been weeks of high-level FBI and Justice Department deliberations about going ahead with a raid against a former president.

It was eventually timed to take place while Mr Trump was away, and agents did not wear clothing marked “FBI” in an attempt to keep a low profile.

Lindsey Halligan, a lawyer for Mr Trump who was at Mar-a-Lago during the raid, said: “There were about 30 to 40 FBI agents that I saw, five of which were wearing suits, the rest were in cargo pants, masks and gloves.”
Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Kazakhstan and Saudi Arabia Deepen Strategic Partnership with New Investment and Energy Agreements
Saudi Crown Prince Receives Written Message from Kazakhstan’s President Amid Expanding Strategic Ties
ImmunityBio Shares Rise After Saudi Arabia BCG Manufacturing Update Spurs Investor Optimism
Global Music Star Tyla Confirmed as Headliner at 2026 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix Entertainment Lineup
Somalia and Saudi Arabia Forge New Military Partnership Amid Regional Power Shifts
Saudi Arabia and Several Nations Criticize Israeli West Bank Land Measures as Diplomatic Tensions Rise
Saudi Public Investment Fund Transfers Stake in Take-Two Interactive as Portfolio Strategy Evolves
Saudi Arabia’s Flagship Defense Expo Highlights Industrial Ambitions and Expanding Arms Portfolio
Strategic Divergence Deepens as Saudi Arabia and UAE Recalibrate Gulf Partnership
Saudi Arabia Confirms Start of Ramadan as Crescent Moon Sighted, While Other Nations Begin a Day Later
Rubio Calls for Sweeping U.N. Reform, Saying It Has Failed to End Wars in Gaza and Ukraine
10,000 Condoms Distributed at Winter Olympics 2026 Athlete Village Depleted Within 72 Hours
Prince William Meets Saudi Crown Prince as Epstein-Andrew Fallout Casts Shadow
Goldman Sachs and DP World Executive Resignations: Elite-Reputation Risk and Corporate Governance Fallout From the Epstein Disclosures
OpenAI and DeepCent Superintelligence Race: Artificial General Intelligence and AI Agents as a National Security Arms Race
Prince William in Saudi Arabia on Official Three-Day Visit to Strengthen UK-Saudi Relations
Prince William Highlights Women’s Sport During High-Profile Visit to Saudi Arabia
Prince William Begins High-Profile Diplomatic Mission to Saudi Arabia
Syria and Saudi Arabia Seal Multibillion-Dollar Investment Agreements to Drive Post-War Economic Reconstruction
Apple iPhone Lockdown Mode blocks FBI data access in journalist device seizure
Foreign Governments and Corporations Spend Millions with Trump-Linked Lobbying Firm in Washington
KPMG Urges Auditor to Relay AI Cost Savings
Saudi Arabia Quietly Allows Wealthy Foreign Residents to Buy Alcohol, Signalling Policy Shift
US and Iran to Begin Nuclear Talks in Oman
China unveils plans for a 'Death Star' capable of launching missile strikes from space
Investigation Launched at Winter Olympics Over Ski Jumpers Injecting Hyaluronic Acid
U.S. State Department Issues Urgent Travel Warning for Citizens to Leave Iran Immediately
Wall Street Erases All Gains of 2026; Bitcoin Plummets 14% to $63,000
Eighty-one-year-old man in the United States fatally shoots Uber driver after scam threat
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz Begins Strategic Gulf Tour with Saudi Arabia Visit
Dubai Awards Tunnel Contract for Dubai Loop as Boring Company Plans Pilot Network
Five Key Takeaways From President Erdoğan’s Strategic Visit to Saudi Arabia
AI Invented “Hot Springs” — Tourists Arrived and Were Shocked
Erdoğan’s Saudi Arabia Visit Focuses on Trade, Investment and Strategic Cooperation
Germany and Saudi Arabia Move to Deepen Energy Cooperation Amid Global Transition
Saudi Aviation Records Historic Passenger Traffic in 2025 and Sets Sights on Further Growth in 2026
Tech Market Shifts and AI Investment Surge Drive Global Innovation and Layoffs
Global Shifts in War, Trade, Energy and Security Mark Major International Developments
Tesla Ends Model S and X Production and Sends $2 Billion to xAI as 2025 Revenue Declines
The AI Hiring Doom Loop — Algorithmic Recruiting Filters Out Top Talent and Rewards Average or Fake Candidates
Federal Reserve Holds Interest Rate at 3.75% as Powell Faces DOJ Criminal Investigation During 2026 Decision
Putin’s Four-Year Ukraine Invasion Cost: Russia’s Mass Casualty Attrition and the Donbas Security-Guarantee Tradeoff
Saudi Crown Prince Tells Iranian President: Kingdom Will Not Host Attacks Against Iran
U.S. Central Command Announces Regional Air Exercise as Iran Unveils Drone Carrier Footage
Trump Defends Saudi Crown Prince in Heated Exchange After Reporter Questions Khashoggi Murder and 9/11 Links
Saudi Stocks Rally as Kingdom Prepares to Fully Open Capital Market to Global Investors
Air France and KLM Suspend Multiple Middle East Routes as Regional Tensions Disrupt Aviation
Saudi Arabia scales back Neom as The Line is redesigned and Trojena downsized
Saudi Industrial Group Completes One Point Three Billion Dollar Acquisition of South Africa’s Barloworld
Saudi-Backed LIV Golf Confirms Return to Trump National Bedminster for 2026 Season
×