Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Sunday, Nov 30, 2025

Covid-19 in old Hong Kong blocks, subdivided flats sparks strategy rethink

Covid-19 in old Hong Kong blocks, subdivided flats sparks strategy rethink

A fast-growing outbreak in ageing tenement buildings in Jordan has prompted calls for a more proactive approach.

Hong Kong’s subdivided flats and improper sewage structures crammed into old buildings have exposed flaws in the city’s strategy against Covid-19
, health experts have warned, calling for a more proactive and timely approach.

The concern centred on fears over what was perceived by critics as a delayed response in tackling growing clusters in aged tenement blocks in Yau Tsim Mong district in the past week. This was despite government efforts to ramp up mandatory testing to cover bigger swathes of housing instead of individual blocks.

Late on Friday, the health department said it was taking the “exceptional” measure of issuing an isolation order for four residential blocks along Reclamation Street in Yau Tsim Mong district, where a cluster of infections is growing, in order to better carry out contact tracing. The step marked the first time authorities had effectively locked down entire buildings since the pandemic began last year.

The recent infections in tenement blocks at 20, 22, 24 and 26 Reclamation Street in Jordan also sparked an order for large-scale screening in the district.

“There are lots of old buildings in Hong Kong which could be potential outbreak sites. If a person there is a Covid-19 patient, the environment could easily amplify the problem and become a super-spreading site,” infectious disease specialist Dr Joseph Tsang Kay-yan said.

“Such living environments are crowded, there is a lack of maintenance, and the prevalence of subdivided units means illegal changes in flat structure and pipes are common.”


A coronavirus outbreak at 24 Reclamation Street is among recent developments to raise concerns over older buildings.


Built more than 50 years ago, the four buildings were filled with subdivided flats housing families mostly belonging to ethnic minority groups. A total of 33 infections have been reported from the site over the past two weeks.

A mandatory testing order was first issued for 26 Reclamation Street on January 8 after two coronavirus cases were recorded within that week. A new case was identified at No 20 two days later, followed by seven more at No 26 the next day. But the testing order was extended to cover all four interconnected blocks on January 12, only when the total number of infections had surged to 19.

More than 90 residents were evacuated two days later on Thursday after midnight, and experts were sent in to inspect sewage systems of the buildings to determine if they were transmission pathways.

Tsang said in the case of such buildings, mandatory testing should be triggered even if only one infection was detected, instead of the current citywide criteria of cases in two unrelated flats over a two-week period.

“If there is one infection in an old building, the [transmission] risk is already there,” he said, adding that there was a risk of infection as long as one person had the virus, given the problems with old plumbing.

He suggested authorities could also be more proactive in monitoring possible Covid-19 outbreaks by conducting regular sewage surveillance on old buildings.

“If we only take action when a confirmed case emerges from a building, there will be a time gap that can further amplify the problem,” he said.


Dr Joseph Tsang, a specialist in infectious diseases.


Dr Leung Chi-chiu, a respiratory medicine specialist, said the infections at Reclamation Street had highlighted the problem of the government neglecting other risk factors in old tenement buildings.

“There are problems of subdivided units, pipes and clustering of ethnic minority groups,” which could lead to issues with communication, Leung said. “But there are no clear measures on how to follow up.”

According to a population by-census in 2016, Yau Tsim Mong had the biggest group of ethnic minority members among the 18 districts in the city, accounting for 9.1 per cent of the roughly 580,000 ethnic minority residents in the city.

Hong Kong Unison, an NGO focusing on the rights of ethnic minority groups, acknowledged that communications had been an issue since the Covid-19 outbreak began early last year.

The Home Affairs Department said it had passed health information to eight ethnic minority support centres, adding it had also hired workers who could speak the native languages of such groups, such as Urdu and Nepali, to visit buildings marked for mandatory testing.

But Unison said it could not identify any of those workers during an assessment done in late afternoon on Friday, noting they were told by authorities the foreign language specialists had been recruited by the department but were on standby.

The group complained there was “delay in sending ethnic minority workers to the affected buildings”.

Mandatory quarantine is currently required for close contacts of a confirmed patient. But questions have been raised over whether there could also be well-defined requirements for residents living in a block where infections have been found, after critics accused authorities of slow action regarding the Reclamation Street blocks.

Experts said such a decision would depend on individual situations.

“It must be decided on a case-by-case basis, and it must be determined if there are any environmental factors affecting particular units. There isn’t a simple formula to make this decision,” said Professor David Hui Shu-cheong, a government pandemic adviser.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Will Saudi Arabia End Up Bankrolling Israel’s Post-Ceasefire Order in Lebanon?
Saudi Arabia’s SAMAI Initiative Surpasses One-Million-Citizen Milestone in National AI Upskilling Drive
Saudi Arabia’s Specialty Coffee Market Set to Surge as Demand Soars and New Exhibition Drops in December
Saudi Arabia Moves to Open Two New Alcohol Stores for Foreigners Under Vision 2030 Reform
Saudi Arabia’s AI Ambitions Gain Momentum — but Water, Talent and Infrastructure Pose Major Hurdles
Tensions Surface in Trump-MBS Talks as Saudi Pushes Back on Israel Normalisation
Saudi Arabia Signals Major Maritime Crack-Down on Houthi Routes in Red Sea
Italy and Saudi Arabia Seal Over 20 Strategic Deals at Business Forum in Riyadh
COP30 Ends Without Fossil Fuel Phase-Out as US, Saudi Arabia and Russia Align in Obstruction Role
Saudi-Portuguese Economic Horizons Expand Through Strategic Business Council
DHL Commits $150 Million for Landmark Logistics Hub in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Aramco Weighs Disposals Amid $10 Billion-Plus Asset Sales Discussion
Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince for Major Defence and Investment Agreements
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
Riyadh Metro Records Over One Hundred Million Journeys as Saudi Capital Accelerates Transit Era
Trump’s Grand Saudi Welcome Highlights U.S.–Riyadh Pivot as Israel Watches Warily
U.S. Set to Sell F-35 Jets to Saudi Arabia in Major Strategic Shift
Saudi Arabia Doubles Down on U.S. Partnership in Strategic Move
Saudi Arabia Charts Tech and Nuclear Leap Under Crown Prince’s U.S. Visit
Trump Elevates Saudi Arabia to Major Non-NATO Ally Amid Defense Deal
Trump Elevates Saudi Arabia to Major Non-NATO Ally as MBS Visit Yields Deepened Ties
Iran Appeals to Saudi Arabia to Mediate Restart of U.S. Nuclear Talks
Musk, Barra and Ford Join Trump in Lavish White House Dinner for Saudi Crown Prince
Lawmaker Seeks Declassification of ‘Shocking’ 2019 Call Between Trump and Saudi Crown Prince
US and Saudi Arabia Forge Strategic Defence Pact Featuring F-35 Sale and $1 Trillion Investment Pledge
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Emerges as Key Contender in Warner Bros. Discovery Sale
Trump Secures Sweeping U.S.–Saudi Agreements on Jets, Technology and Massive Investment
Detroit CEOs Join White House Dinner as U.S.–Saudi Auto Deal Accelerates
Netanyahu Secures U.S. Assurance That Israel’s Qualitative Military Edge Will Remain Despite Saudi F-35 Deal
Ronaldo Joins Trump and Saudi Crown Prince’s Gala Amid U.S.–Gulf Tech and Investment Surge
U.S.–Saudi Investment Forum Sees U.S. Corporate Titans and Saudi Royalty Forge Billion-Dollar Ties
Elon Musk’s xAI to Deploy 500-Megawatt Saudi Data Centre with State-backed Partner HUMAIN
U.S. Clears Export of Advanced AI Chips to Saudi Arabia and UAE Amid Strategic Tech Partnership
xAI Selects Saudi Data-Centre as First Customer of Nvidia-Backed Humain Project
A Decade of Innovation Stagnation at Apple: The Cook Era Critique
President Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in Washington Amid Strategic Deal Talks
Saudi Crown Prince to Press Trump for Direct U.S. Role in Ending Sudan War
Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince: Five Key Takeaways from the White House Meeting
Trump Firmly Defends Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Murder Amid Washington Visit
Trump Backs Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Killing Amid White House Visit
Trump Publicly Defends Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Killing During Washington Visit
President Donald Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman at White House to Seal Major Defence and Investment Deals
Saudi Arabia’s Solar Surge Signals Unlikely Shift in Global Oil Powerhouse
Saudi Crown Prince Receives Letter from Iranian President Ahead of U.S. Visit
Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Begins Washington Visit to Cement Long-Term U.S. Alliance
Saudi Crown Prince Meets Trump in Washington to Deepen Defence, AI and Nuclear Ties
Saudi Arabia Accelerates Global Mining Strategy to Build a New Economic Pillar
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman Arrives in Washington to Reset U.S.–Saudi Strategic Alliance
Saudi-Israeli Normalisation Deal Looms, But Riyadh Insists on Proceeding After Israeli Elections
Saudis Prioritise US Defence Pact and AI Deals, While Israel Normalisation Takes Back Seat
×