Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Friday, Aug 21, 2026

Construction workers at Hong Kong airport to be tested; 28 new Covid-19 cases logged

Construction workers at Hong Kong airport to be tested; 28 new Covid-19 cases logged

Officials say 3,000 workers must be screened after discovery of five new cases take cluster size to nine.

Health authorities have ordered thousands of workers helping to build a new airport runway in Hong Kong to undergo testing for the coronavirus after another five cases tied to an existing outbreak were among 28 infections revealed on Saturday.

While the caseload was the lowest in more than three weeks, the fourth wave has proved stubbornly difficult to contain, and authorities are hoping the roll-out of a vaccine will help turn the tide. The government announced the launch of a recruitment and infrastructure drive for the campaign, which is expected to start late next month.

Two of the latest infections were imported, one involving a cargo flight pilot coming from the United States and the other an arrival from Pakistan, who flew from Dubai to Bangkok. Six of the cases were untraceable, while more than 40 people tested preliminary-positive. The city’s overall tally now stands at 10,399, with 179 related deaths after a 46-year-old female patient succumbed in the evening.

Although the latest infections were the fewest since January 6, when 25 cases emerged, the Centre for Health Protection said it could not evaluate a longer-term trend based on a single day.

“Also, as the Chinese Lunar New Year is approaching, the general public may have more family gatherings and also social functions, so we need to take precautions so there will not be further large-scale transmission or outbreaks in the community,” said Dr Albert Au Ka-wing, principal medical and health officer at the centre’s communicable disease branch.

Five more construction workers at the airport were found to be carrying the virus, taking the size of the cluster to nine, with the first case emerging last week.

They worked at two different sites, and transmission was suspected to have occurred in a converted shipping container used to rest and eat, according to Au.

“It was also possible the workers did not wear masks properly at work,” Au said.

In a bid to contain the outbreak, the government ordered 3,000 workers to undergo mandatory testing and suggested the Airport Authority and contractor suspend operations at the sites for 14 days.

Among the latest cases was a nurse working at the Dr Raymond Lam Hok-suen ophthalmological clinic in Champion Building on Nathan Road, inside a designated testing zone. She submitted a sample on Thursday and last worked on Friday. She was responsible for registering patients and wore a mask while at work, Au said. The clinic will contact patients who visited the clinic between January 26 and 29 to suggest they undergo testing.

Another 11 buildings in the Yau Tsim Mong district were given mandatory testing orders after their sewage samples were found to have traces of the virus.

Hong Kong has so far struck deals to purchase 22.5 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine, with 7.5 million shots each coming from three suppliers: Sinovac Biotech; British-Swedish firm AstraZeneca; and Fosun Pharma, which is handling the BioNTech vaccine, developed by the German company and US pharmaceutical giant Pfizer.

The government on Monday authorised the BioNTech variant for emergency use, but on Friday, the European Union announced new export controls on all coronavirus vaccines in an effort to ensure timely access for all of the bloc’s citizens and to tackle a lack of transparency over their sale to foreign governments.

Makers must notify the EU when sending their shots outside the bloc, and member states will then have to authorise the exports and can block them if the supply arrangements for the union are not being met.

The government said it was highly concerned about the development and would continue to monitor the situation and ensure the new regulations did not interfere with the BioNTech supply. The government said it was aware the EU had pledged the rules would not affect the export of vaccines under advance purchase agreements.

According to civil service chief Patrick Nip Tak-kuen, the first immunisation programme would run for at least six months. The government was in talks with both public and private hospitals to prepare facilities for the task.

“There will be 18 vaccination centres – open 12 hours a day – run together by medical professionals from the Hospital Authority, Department of Health, tertiary institutions and private doctors, while we have also begun to recruit civil servants as administrative staff, so that the programme can begin once the vaccines arrive,” he told a radio programme.

Offering assurances on the scheme’s launch date, Nip said the Department of Health had been in close contact with the suppliers of the BioNTech vaccine to ensure there would be no further delays to the delivery of the first batch of jabs.

Under the government’s plans, high-risk groups will be given priority for the 1 million BioNTech doses. The first recipients will be staff and residents of care homes for the elderly, followed by hospital workers and other older people.

The government previously said vaccinations could begin after the Lunar New Year holiday in mid-February. But the plans changed following a delay to the supply of Beijing-based Sinovac’s CoronaVac, originally scheduled for delivery by the end of January.

Nip said they were still awaiting the third round of clinical data for the CoronaVac jab before making any further arrangements.

Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor revealed last Tuesday that she had sought Beijing’s help in securing Covid-19 shots from state-owned Sinopharm following “hiccups” in the procurement of other vaccines already bought.


Civil service secretary Patrick Nip.


Professor Ivan Hung Fan-ngai, who is advising the government on its vaccination plan, said he believed Sinovac would release the data shortly.

“We must obtain this clinical data to vet and recommend its use,” he said. “But I believe Sinovac and the other mainland vaccine Sinopharm are preparing their reports and [they] will soon be published. The public does not have to worry that they will take very long.”

Hung saiddata revealed a 95 per cent efficacy rate for the BioNTechvaccine and that it should be safe for the public. But he observed the advisory board had also noticed side effects, including 15 per cent of those vaccinated experiencing fever.

“We are closely monitoring different sets of data, especially when a lot of US and Israel citizens have been vaccinated already. We are evaluating the effects on elderly that are hospitalised,” he added.

Dr Thomas Tsang Ho-fai, another member of the government’s vaccination task force, concurred the board could not begin the approval process for the Sinovac jab without the data.

He added that although the company had submitted data to the World Health Organization, local health departments were still awaiting the figures.

Separately, minister Nip hinted the government would continue to carry out operations similar to the three lockdowns imposed in the past week, saying they were effective in controlling the Covid-19 crisis. Future lockdowns would likely be on a smaller scale, he added.

The operations restricted the public’s movements in coronavirus-hit areas to allow for comprehensive testing.

While the 44-hour lockdown in Jordan affected a larger community, the ones in Yau Ma Tei and North Point targeted only a few buildings and were completed overnight.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
AI’s Next Bottleneck Is Power, Not Just Nvidia Chips
Meta Raises AI Spending Target to as Much as $145bn Despite Pressure Over Returns
Joe Biden’s Cancer Has Spread Beyond His Bones, Hunter Biden Says
Why 2027 Could Be a Strong Year for Stocks—and Why the Forecast Is Fragile
Why Markets May Look Quiet in August After Big Tech Earnings
Trump’s Top General Seeks an Exit Strategy From Iran War, Report Says
Brock Lesnar Retires From Wrestling, Closing a Career of Rare Athletic Range and Lasting Controversy
UFO: Pentagon Releases Video of Unidentified Object Tracked Over Middle East
Ukraine Tells Senate Republicans Its Drone War Offers a Blueprint for America
Weight-Loss Drug Boom Tests the Limits of Prescription Advertising Rules
Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Pakistan Sign Mutual-Defence Pact
AI Is Remaking the US Economy, From GDP Growth to iPhone Prices
A SpaceX Rocket Is About to Crash Into the Moon — and Scientists Hope to Watch
Modern Slavery Decisions Broaden the Al Fayed Inquiry’s Frame
FIFA’s Retreat Leaves a Larger Question Over Who Guards the Game
Finland Deploys Commercial-Scale Thermal Batteries Using Crushed Rock to Store Renewable Grid Energy
Valued at $109 Million: F-35B Fighter Jet Crashes in Southern California
US Says It Has Carried Out Heavy Strikes on Iran After Attempted Attacks on Its Forces
Over 24 Hours in the Air: Qantas Airbus Completes Record-Breaking Test Flight
Arrest Warrant Issued in Lebanon for Tycoon Spotted Meeting Netanyahu in Washington
Trump says Israel ‘would not survive’ without US
Nvidia Reportedly Takes Vast Texas Data-Centre Lease to Underwrite AI Expansion
FIFA’s Private-Investment Plan for World Cup Rights Draws European Revolt
Following OpenAI's Cyberattack: 'Most Companies Still Do Not Understand What Is Coming'
OpenAI Sued After ChatGPT Allegedly Discouraged Emergency Care Before Near-Fatal Embolism
Miliband Sets Climate and International Law at Centre of UK Diplomacy
Pentagon Discloses Nearly 100 US Troop Injuries During Renewed Iran Fighting
Trump Readies New Tariffs as Temporary Global Levy Nears Expiry
High Prices Push Coffee Drinkers Toward Whole Beans and Home Brewing
Trump Draws Boos and Podium Scrutiny at Spain’s World Cup Triumph
Spain Defeats Argentina in Extra Time to Win Second World Cup
Turkey Explores S-400 Transfer to UAE in Bid to Rejoin F-35 Program
US Retaliates Against Iran After Two American Troops Killed in Jordan
Proposed U.S.-Saudi Nuclear Pact Could Permit Limited Uranium Enrichment Under International Safeguards
Why Kentucky Fried Chicken Became KFC—and Why the False Explanations Persist
Iran Claims It Destroyed Bahrain’s Main Artificial Intelligence Center in Missile and Drone Strike
Ukrainian Drones Strike Wildberries Warehouses Deep Inside Russia
Reported CIA Mission Helped Clear the UAE’s Path to Advanced US AI Chips
Artificial Intelligence Capital Fuels Markets While Governments and Regulators Face Mounting Strategic Tests
China’s Moonshot’s Kimi K3 Narrows the Gap With Anthropic Through Scale, Openness and Lower Cost
Gold and Cash Seizure Puts Indonesia’s Senior Anti-Corruption Prosecutor Under Investigation
The Ledger Will Not Trust on Faith
Passenger Bound for Germany Refused to Sit Beside a Woman on a Plane — Then Slapped a Flight Attendant
Ukraine’s Leadership Rift Spills Into the Streets as Protesters Target Army Chief
The Ten World Cup Finals That Defined Football History
Smartphones Are Getting More Expensive, Sales Are Collapsing, and Even Apple Admits: "Prices Will Rise"
×