Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Friday, May 22, 2026

Parliament shuts down for a month

Parliament shuts down for a month

Parliament has shut down until 21 April at the earliest to combat the spread of coronavirus.
Emergency laws to deal with the pandemic have been rushed through both Houses and were given Royal Assent earlier on Wednesday.

MPs voted to plan for a managed return to work on Tuesday 21 April, to deal with Budget legislation.

The House of Commons had been due to break for Easter next week but concerns were raised about spreading the virus.

The Scottish Parliament chamber was shut down on Tuesday but MSPs will return on 1 April in order to consider emergency coronavirus legislation.

And in the Welsh Assembly, full sessions will be replaced by "emergency Senedd" meetings during the coronavirus crisis and will include fewer members.

Announcing the extended Commons recess, Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle said: "Before the House adjourns, can I just say - I wish every member well, your families, and once again to reiterate, that the staff in this House have done a fantastic job."

He said work was under way to give MPs the technology they need to stay connected during the break, including the possibility of "virtual parliament and virtual select committees".

Sir Lindsay Hoyle had been urging MPs to sit further apart while attending the chamber, as well as introducing a staggered voting system to ensure MPs kept a safe distance from each other.

Speaking earlier, Commons leader Jacob Rees-Mogg said he was grateful MPs, peers and staff had worked to complete the emergency legislation.

He told MPs the "aim" was for them to return to work on 21 April, but added that he would "keep the situation under review in terms of medical advice".

Legislation giving the government new emergency powers to combat the spread of the disease and to release funds to deal with the crisis cleared all stages in Parliament on Wednesday, and has now become law.

Deputy Speaker Eleanor Laing announced that the Coronavirus Act 2020 and the Contingencies Fund Act 2020 had been granted Royal Assent.

Earlier, Sir Lindsay doubled the length of Prime Minister's Questions to an hour, to allow for debate on the coronavirus emergency and ensure social distancing on the green benches.

MPs asking questions in the first half of the session filed out of the chamber to make way for the remainder of the MPs who wanted to put questions to Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

It was Jeremy Corbyn's final PMQs as Leader of the Opposition. He will stand down as leader of the Labour party on 4 April.

Mr Corbyn urged Mr Johnson to make himself "available for scrutiny" during the parliamentary recess adding "we represent people who are desperately worried about their health and their economic well being".

Mr Johnson promised to work with the Commons Speaker to ensure Parliament is kept informed.

Leader of the House of Lords Baroness Evans told peers they would also break early for Easter on Wednesday evening.

She said that after the recess, peers would only sit three days a week on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays until the VE Day long weekend in May.

She added that "sensible adjustments" needed to be made to working conditions and sought to assure members that senior officials were working with the Parliamentary Digital Service to develop "effective remote collaboration and video conferencing".

The Cabinet are expected to continue to meet via video conferencing.

BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg said Westminster had been considered one of the hotspots of the disease and a fair few MPs had been in self-isolation with symptoms.

MPs could return on 21 April to pass Budget legislation, but then be asked to vote to suspend the Commons again - although nothing is finalised.

While the House of Commons is on recess, MPs will still be able to respond to and help their constituents.

Labour MP Chris Bryant criticised the timing of the decision to close Parliament, arguing: "It must be wrong that Parliament is suspended before the government has a proper package in place for the self employed."

Another Labour MP, David Lammy, agreed and said: "The government should announce a solution today. We cannot leave anyone behind."

And their party colleague Barry Sheerman called for "new ways of maintaining proper scrutiny of the government".
Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
The Great Western Exit: Why Best Citizens Are Fleeing the Rich World [PODCAST]
The New Robber Barons of Intelligence: Are AI Bosses More Powerful Than Rockefeller?
The AI Gold Rush Is Coming for America’s Last Open Spaces [Podcast]
The Pentagon’s AI Squeeze: Eight Tech Giants Get In, Anthropic Gets Shut Out [Podcast]
The War Map: Professor Jiang’s Dark Theory of Iran, Trump, China, Russia, Israel, and the Coming Global Shock [Podcast]
AI Isn’t Stealing Your Job. It’s Dismantling It Piece by Piece.
Kennedy’s Quiet War on Antidepressants Sparks Alarm Across America’s Medical Establishment
Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Crosses Hormuz via Iran-Controlled Route
Crypto Scammers Capitalize on Maritime Chaos Near the Strait of Hormuz: A Rising Threat to Shipping Companies
Changi Airport: How Singapore Engineered the World’s Most Efficient Travel Experience
News Roundup
Microsoft lost 2.5 millions users (French government) to Linux
Strategic Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Security Concerns as Trump Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Keeps Red Sea Oil Exports Flowing Despite Regional Tensions
Pipeline Attack Cuts Significant Share of Saudi Arabia’s Oil Export Capacity
Saudi Business Leader Abudawood Appointed Chairman of Merit Incentives Group
TotalEnergies Confirms Damage at Saudi Refinery Following Security Incident
Saudi Arabia Launches Early Construction Phase for King Salman Stadium Project
Saudi Shift Away from Longstanding Dollar Oil Framework Gains Attention Amid Iran Conflict
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Resolve Long-Running Transit Visa Dispute
Saudi Oil Capacity and Pipeline Flows Reduced as Supply Risks Intensify
TotalEnergies Reports Damage to Saudi SATORP Refinery Following Security Incidents
Gulf States Assess Prospects of U.S.-Iran Truce as Regional Stability Efforts Intensify
South Korea Resumes Honey Exports to Saudi Arabia Following Sanitary Approval
Saudi Arabia Carries Out Sentences in Eastern Province Following Security Convictions
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Backs King Street’s Regional Credit Strategy
Saudi Arabia Secures World Cup Return as Egypt Celebrates Landmark Qualification
Iran and Saudi Arabia Intensify Diplomatic Engagement Amid Regional Tensions
Russia and Saudi Arabia Open Visa-Free Travel Corridor for Citizens
Saudi Oil Output Capacity Reduced by 600,000 Barrels Per Day Amid Regional Conflict
Saudi Arabia Suspends Operations at Select Energy Sites as Precautionary Measure
Saudi Arabia Halts Operations at Multiple Energy Facilities Amid Heightened Tensions
Global Markets Jolt as Iran Signals Ceasefire Breakdown and Rising Regional Tensions
King Street Aligns with Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund to Expand Alternative Investments in Middle East
Attack on Saudi Arabia’s Jubail Petrochemical Hub Raises Global Supply Concerns
Debate Emerges Over Saudi Strategic Decisions as Gulf Cooperation Council Dynamics Come Into Focus
Saudi Arabia Expands Full Workforce Localisation to 69 Professions in Major Labour Reform
Emerging Alliance of Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt and Saudi Arabia Signals New Regional Power Dynamic Amid Iran Conflict
Iran Linked to Strikes Across Gulf States Following Refinery Attack Escalation
Saudi Arabia Voices Concern Over Fragile US–Iran Ceasefire Stability
Starmer Warns Sustained Effort Needed to Ensure US–Iran Ceasefire Holds
Saudi Arabia’s Key East-West Oil Pipeline Targeted Following Ceasefire Announcement
Iran Targets Saudi Arabia’s East-West Oil Pipeline in Escalating Regional Tensions
Trump Warns of Civilizational Stakes as Iran Halts Negotiations
Saudi Companies Expand Remote Work Measures Ahead of Iran-Related Security Concerns
Iran Warns of Strikes on Saudi Energy Infrastructure if US Targets Its Facilities
Iran Urges Civilians to Form Human Shields Around Nuclear Sites as Diplomatic Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Raises Oil Prices to Record Premiums Amid Supply Pressures Linked to Iran Conflict
Key Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Heightened Security Concerns Linked to Iran
Formula One Calendar Gap Explained as Fans Await Next Grand Prix
×