Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Saturday, Feb 21, 2026

Top anti-Google investigator quits European Commission

Top anti-Google investigator quits European Commission

Nicholas Banasevic, who led the charge against Google, will join the law firm Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP.
EU competition czar Margrethe Vestager is losing another of her most experienced commanders in the campaign against Google to a large law firm, just as she is escalating her battle against Big Tech.

Longtime official Nicholas Banasevic, who spearheaded the European Commission's antitrust probes against Google, will join the law firm Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP. The date of the move is still to be confirmed.

Banasevic is far from being the first high-profile name to jump ship this year. His move follows the departure of two other top competition officials with long experience in fighting Silicon Valley giants — Cecilio Madero Villarejo and Carles Esteva Mosso — who also are joining law firms that act for the very same companies. Madero was the chief of antitrust within the Commission's competition department when Vestager launched her crusade against Google.

Banasevic has "decided to leave DG Competition and the Commission to join private practice," Olivier Guersent, director general of the European Commission's competition department, informed his staff on Monday morning. "Nick has been key to the success of a number of the landmark cases that have made the reputation of excellence of DG Competition," Guersent wrote in an email seen by POLITICO.

Regulatory news outlet MLex first reported the move on Monday.

Banasevic, a British national, has worked at DG Competition for more than 20 years. Since 2012, he has headed the unit that brought three Google investigations that hit the search giant with more than €8 billion in fines. On November 10, the EU General Court will rule on Google's challenge of the first of those cases, which saw the company fined €2.42 billion over its shopping comparison service.

While the Commission has successfully concluded these cases with fines against the search giant, complainants in the cases grumble that Brussels' action has been less effective at reining in Google's dominance of the market.

The announcement of Banasevic's departure comes right after a five-day court hearing in Luxembourg over the Commission's €4.3 billion Android case against Google. At the court, the case team was represented not by Banasevic, but by his long-time deputy Brice Allibert.

Since May 16, Banasevic has also temporarily been in charge of the overarching Information, Communication and Media directorate following the promotion of Guillaume Loriot.

Christian Riis-Madsen, the EU chair of Gibson Dunn's antitrust and competition practice, welcomed his new recruit in a statement.

“We have admired Nick’s achievements and dedication to the Commission over a long career and we are excited to welcome him to Gibson Dunn in the near future,” Riis Madsen said.

The departure of a third top competition official from the Commission in less than a year triggered concerns about revolving doors.

A Commission spokesperson said Banasevic was "granted an authorization" for the move "with the appropriate restrictions imposed." The aim of the procedure "is to prevent any risk of a real, potential or perceived conflict with the Commission’s legitimate interest," the spokesperson added.

Gibson Dunn frequently represents Apple in U.S. lawsuits, including in its recent antitrust battle with game developer Epic. Vestager in April issued a charge sheet against Apple following a complaint from Apple Music rival Spotify. This and another investigation into Apple's app store rules were not handled directly by Banasevic's unit, but by two units that reported to him in his capacity as acting director.

Earlier this year, Madero and Esteva Mosso joined law firms specialized in antitrust after working for years as deputy director-general at DG COMP.

Madero, who was involved in high-profile battles such as those against Microsoft and Google — hand in hand with Banasevic — joined law firm Clifford Chance less than a year after he left his position at the Commission. The announcement came in May, a few weeks after the news that Esteva Mosso would leave his job as a deputy director general in charge of state aid to join law firm Latham and Watkins. The two announcements in rapid succession fueled concerns and debate over former top competition officials joining law firms.

Clifford Chance does work for Amazon, while Latham and Watkins does work for Facebook — two companies that are also involved in pending EU antitrust investigations.
Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Concerns Mount Over Potential Saudi Uranium Enrichment in Prospective US Nuclear Accord
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
Investability Emerges as the Defining Test of Saudi Arabia’s Next Market Phase
Saudi Arabia’s Packaging Market Accelerates as Sustainability and E-Commerce Drive Transformation
Saudi Arabia’s Strategic Minerals Drive Offers Lessons for Europe’s Supply Chain Ambitions
Saudi Arabia Unveils $32 Billion Push Into Theme Parks and Global Entertainment
Saudi Crude Exports to India Climb Sharply, Closing Gap With Russia
Saudi Arabia’s Halal Cosmetics Market Expands as Faith and Ethical Beauty Drive Growth
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
ImmunityBio Secures Saudi Partnerships to Launch Flagship Cancer Therapy
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Launch Expanded Renewable Energy Partnership
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Saudi Arabia Tops Middle East Green Building Rankings with Record Growth in 2025
Qatar and Saudi Arabia Each Commit One Billion Dollars to President Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ Initiative
Ramadan 2026 Prayer Times Set as Fasting Begins in Saudi Arabia and Egypt Announces Dates
Saudi Arabia Launches Ramadan 2026 Hotel Campaign to Boost Religious and Leisure Tourism
Saudi Arabia Seeks Reroute of Greece-Bound Fibre-Optic Cable Through Syria Instead of Israel
Saudi-Backed Scopely Acquires Majority Stake in Turkey’s Loom Games to Expand Mobile Portfolio
Zodiac Milpro Launches Zid Marine Joint Venture in Saudi Arabia to Expand Regional Shipbuilding
Saudi Arabia Reaffirms Reform Path Amid Claims of Ideological Reversal
Calls Grow for Saudi Arabia and UAE to Settle Differences Through Direct Dialogue
Jensen Huang just told the story of how Elon Musk became NVIDIA’s very first customer for their powerful AI supercomputer
British couple sentenced to 10 years in Iran for espionage
Former British Prince Andrew Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office
Unitree Robotics founder Wang Xingxing showcases future robot deployment during Spring Festival Gala.
Prince William Holds Talks with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman During Saudi Visit
Saudi Arabia’s Humain Commits $3 Billion Investment to Elon Musk’s xAI
SCOPA Executive Unveils Ambitious Relaunch Strategy for Saudi Production Company
Saudi Arabia Sees Rise in Business Visa Rejections Amid Tighter Compliance Checks
Saudi PIF Transfers Take-Two Stake to Savvy Games Group in Strategic Gaming Push
Jimmy Carr Says He ‘Loved’ Saudi Arabia Show Amid Debate Over Performing in the Kingdom
Sotheby’s ‘Origins II’ Auction Signals Saudi Collectors’ Shift Toward Cultural Legacy
EY and Microsoft Deepen Saudi Arabia Partnership with Launch of EY Studio+
Google Pay Launches Support for Mastercard Cards in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia Bolsters Maritime Surveillance Fleet with Four C-27J Patrol Aircraft
Kazakhstan and Saudi Arabia Deepen Strategic Partnership with New Investment and Energy Agreements
Saudi Crown Prince Receives Written Message from Kazakhstan’s President Amid Expanding Strategic Ties
ImmunityBio Shares Rise After Saudi Arabia BCG Manufacturing Update Spurs Investor Optimism
Global Music Star Tyla Confirmed as Headliner at 2026 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix Entertainment Lineup
Somalia and Saudi Arabia Forge New Military Partnership Amid Regional Power Shifts
Saudi Arabia and Several Nations Criticize Israeli West Bank Land Measures as Diplomatic Tensions Rise
Saudi Public Investment Fund Transfers Stake in Take-Two Interactive as Portfolio Strategy Evolves
Saudi Arabia’s Flagship Defense Expo Highlights Industrial Ambitions and Expanding Arms Portfolio
Strategic Divergence Deepens as Saudi Arabia and UAE Recalibrate Gulf Partnership
Saudi Arabia Confirms Start of Ramadan as Crescent Moon Sighted, While Other Nations Begin a Day Later
Rubio Calls for Sweeping U.N. Reform, Saying It Has Failed to End Wars in Gaza and Ukraine
10,000 Condoms Distributed at Winter Olympics 2026 Athlete Village Depleted Within 72 Hours
Prince William Meets Saudi Crown Prince as Epstein-Andrew Fallout Casts Shadow
×