Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Friday, May 22, 2026

Chinese anger over Hong Kong ensnared 3 big US businesses this week - and critics say they bent to Beijing

Chinese anger over Hong Kong ensnared 3 big US businesses this week - and critics say they bent to Beijing

Apple, Activision and the NBA angered China this week over episodes related to Hong Kong's anti-government protests. They all took a different tact in dealing with China on the issue.

Apple, Activision and the NBA found themselves in hot water over episodes related to the Hong Kong anti-government protests that angered China.

Apple took down an app that allowed Hong Kong protesters to track the movement of police after criticism from Chinese state media.

U.S.-based video game company Activision Blizzard suspended a gamer who wore a gas mask and goggles, and appeared to shout a slogan often associated with Hong Kong protesters.

Three major U.S. businesses angered China this week, and found themselves in hot water over episodes related to the Hong Kong anti-government protests.

Hong Kong -a former British colony which returned to Chinese rule in 1997 - is a semi-autonomous city which operates under the “one country, two systems” principle, which grants its citizens a certain degree of financial and legal independence from the mainland.

Anti-government protests have rocked the city for four months now. They first erupted over a now withdrawn extradition bill that would have allowed suspects to be transferred to mainland China for trial. But the demonstrations have since morphed into protests against what Hong Kongers see as Beijing’s increasing influence on the territory.

Reactions from the three firms have sparked debate about China’s ability to influence discourse on its politics — even outside of its home turf.


NBA


The NBA drama began after Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey sent a tweet on Sunday in support of the pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong. The post was quickly deleted but the damage had been done.

The NBA then put out a statement which said it recognized that Morey’s views had “offended so many of our friends and fans in China, which is regrettable.” But a separate statement put out in Chinese appeared to take a much tougher line against Morey.

“We are extremely disappointed by An NBA spokesperson later said “there should be no discrepancy” between statements. “We have seen various interpretations of the translation of the Mandarin version, but our statement in English is the league’s official statement,” the spokesperson said.

This was enough to spark outrage amongst U.S. lawmakers who accused the league of putting money above standing up for human rights. Senator Marco Rubio, R-Fla. accused the NBA of throwing Morey “under the bus” and allowing China to “punish a U.S. citizen for free speech in order to protect NBA’s market access” in the mainland.

But Adam Silver, commissioner of the NBA, subsequently appeared to change the league’s stance and support Morey.

“I think as a values-based organization that I want to make it clear ... that Daryl Morey is supported in terms of his ability to exercise his freedom of expression,” Silver said in an interview with Kyodo News in Tokyo Japan.

Those remarks did not sit well with state television network CCTV which said it was “strongly dissatisfied” with Silver’s comments.the inappropriate remarks made by Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey, who has undoubtedly seriously hurt the feelings of our Chinese fans,” the Chinese statement said, according to a CNBC translation.
However, the three entities — Apple, Activision and the National Basketball Association — all reacted differently to Beijing’s outrage. Still, they were all accused of bending to China’s will.

“We believe that any speech that challenges national sovereignty and social stability is not within the scope of freedom of speech,” CCTV said in its statement in Chinese, according to a CNBC translation.

CCTV announced it would suspend the current broadcast arrangements for the NBA’s preseason games in China. Tencent, the NBA’s digital partner in China which streams the games, followed suit.

Silver then came out with another statement explaining the NBA’s position.

“It is inevitable that people around the world — including from America and China — will have different viewpoints over different issues. It is not the role of the NBA to adjudicate those differences,” the NBA commissioner said.

But his remarks drew very strong criticism from Chinese state media. State-run newspaper China Daily dubbed Silver’s new statement as “honey-mouthed” and said the changes “shows his organization is willing to be another handy tool for US interference in the special administrative region.”

“If Silver thinks endorsing the indiscriminate violence the radical Hong Kong protesters are resorting to in their bid to ‘liberate’ the city, a secessionist pipe dream they are peddling to justify their summer hooliganism, is supporting freedom of expression then he should think again,” the paper wrote.


Activision Blizzard


While the NBA took somewhat of a U-turn on its stance toward China, US-based gaming company Activision Blizzard very quickly took action against a gamer who supported the Hong Kong protesters.

In a post-match interview on the Taiwanese stream of Blizzard Entertainment game “Hearthstone”, Chung “Blitzchung” Ng Wai wore a gas mask and goggles, and appeared to shout a slogan often associated with Hong Kong protesters: “Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our time.”

Activision Blizzard suspended the player and stripped him of his earnings. The gaming firm argued that Chung broke its competition rules.

It’s important to note that Tencent, one of China’s largest technology firms, has a stake in Blizzard.

Again Rubio came out to criticize a company he saw as bending over backwards for China.

“China using access to market as leverage to crush free speech globally,” he tweeted.

Anti-Blizzard sentiment spread across the internet with the front page of Reddit dominated by the topic on Wednesday.

Greater China is an incredibly important region for Apple and was its third-largest market by net sales in the June quarter. It has a long history of complying with what the Chinese government orders.

In 2017, it took down a number of virtual private network (VPN) apps from its app stores. VPNs are required to bypass China’s strict internet rules and allow people access to blocked sites and services such as Google. At that time, Apple was accused of aiding government censorship efforts.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
The Great Western Exit: Why Best Citizens Are Fleeing the Rich World [PODCAST]
The New Robber Barons of Intelligence: Are AI Bosses More Powerful Than Rockefeller?
The AI Gold Rush Is Coming for America’s Last Open Spaces [Podcast]
The Pentagon’s AI Squeeze: Eight Tech Giants Get In, Anthropic Gets Shut Out [Podcast]
The War Map: Professor Jiang’s Dark Theory of Iran, Trump, China, Russia, Israel, and the Coming Global Shock [Podcast]
AI Isn’t Stealing Your Job. It’s Dismantling It Piece by Piece.
Kennedy’s Quiet War on Antidepressants Sparks Alarm Across America’s Medical Establishment
Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Crosses Hormuz via Iran-Controlled Route
Crypto Scammers Capitalize on Maritime Chaos Near the Strait of Hormuz: A Rising Threat to Shipping Companies
Changi Airport: How Singapore Engineered the World’s Most Efficient Travel Experience
News Roundup
Microsoft lost 2.5 millions users (French government) to Linux
Strategic Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Security Concerns as Trump Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Keeps Red Sea Oil Exports Flowing Despite Regional Tensions
Pipeline Attack Cuts Significant Share of Saudi Arabia’s Oil Export Capacity
Saudi Business Leader Abudawood Appointed Chairman of Merit Incentives Group
TotalEnergies Confirms Damage at Saudi Refinery Following Security Incident
Saudi Arabia Launches Early Construction Phase for King Salman Stadium Project
Saudi Shift Away from Longstanding Dollar Oil Framework Gains Attention Amid Iran Conflict
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Resolve Long-Running Transit Visa Dispute
Saudi Oil Capacity and Pipeline Flows Reduced as Supply Risks Intensify
TotalEnergies Reports Damage to Saudi SATORP Refinery Following Security Incidents
Gulf States Assess Prospects of U.S.-Iran Truce as Regional Stability Efforts Intensify
South Korea Resumes Honey Exports to Saudi Arabia Following Sanitary Approval
Saudi Arabia Carries Out Sentences in Eastern Province Following Security Convictions
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Backs King Street’s Regional Credit Strategy
Saudi Arabia Secures World Cup Return as Egypt Celebrates Landmark Qualification
Iran and Saudi Arabia Intensify Diplomatic Engagement Amid Regional Tensions
Russia and Saudi Arabia Open Visa-Free Travel Corridor for Citizens
Saudi Oil Output Capacity Reduced by 600,000 Barrels Per Day Amid Regional Conflict
Saudi Arabia Suspends Operations at Select Energy Sites as Precautionary Measure
Saudi Arabia Halts Operations at Multiple Energy Facilities Amid Heightened Tensions
Global Markets Jolt as Iran Signals Ceasefire Breakdown and Rising Regional Tensions
King Street Aligns with Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund to Expand Alternative Investments in Middle East
Attack on Saudi Arabia’s Jubail Petrochemical Hub Raises Global Supply Concerns
Debate Emerges Over Saudi Strategic Decisions as Gulf Cooperation Council Dynamics Come Into Focus
Saudi Arabia Expands Full Workforce Localisation to 69 Professions in Major Labour Reform
Emerging Alliance of Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt and Saudi Arabia Signals New Regional Power Dynamic Amid Iran Conflict
Iran Linked to Strikes Across Gulf States Following Refinery Attack Escalation
Saudi Arabia Voices Concern Over Fragile US–Iran Ceasefire Stability
Starmer Warns Sustained Effort Needed to Ensure US–Iran Ceasefire Holds
Saudi Arabia’s Key East-West Oil Pipeline Targeted Following Ceasefire Announcement
Iran Targets Saudi Arabia’s East-West Oil Pipeline in Escalating Regional Tensions
Trump Warns of Civilizational Stakes as Iran Halts Negotiations
Saudi Companies Expand Remote Work Measures Ahead of Iran-Related Security Concerns
Iran Warns of Strikes on Saudi Energy Infrastructure if US Targets Its Facilities
Iran Urges Civilians to Form Human Shields Around Nuclear Sites as Diplomatic Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Raises Oil Prices to Record Premiums Amid Supply Pressures Linked to Iran Conflict
Key Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Heightened Security Concerns Linked to Iran
Formula One Calendar Gap Explained as Fans Await Next Grand Prix
×