Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Saturday, Feb 21, 2026

Hong Kong third wave: China’s top health body pledges to support Covid-19 fight as city confirms another record-high 123 infections

China’s National Health Commission says it will give Hong Kong ‘all necessary support’ in its coronavirus fight as the crisis escalates. Some 115 of Friday’s 123 cases were local, 62 of which were linked to previous infections while 53 were from unknown sources

China’s cabinet-level health policymaker pledged “all necessary support” for Hong Kong to fight an escalating Covid-19 crisis as the city confirmed another record-high 123 Covid-19 infections on Friday, and officials warned that hospital and quarantine facilities were fast reaching capacity.

Another elderly nursing home resident with Covid-19 died, and dozens of senior citizens had to be evacuated from a coronavirus-stricken care centre, while the government was under mounting pressure to plug a loophole exposed by the threat of infections among the crew of six cargo ships quarantined in Hong Kong waters.

The country’s National Health Commission said it would support Hong Kong in its anti-epidemic efforts during a conference call with local health officials, after days of speculation the city’s leader had appealed to the mainland authorities for help.

The commission said it would strengthen the exchange of technology and share its experience of combating Covid-19 with Hong Kong.

Aside from the six vessels, which were quarantined in waters off Lamma Island after each ship reported one Covid-19 patient on board, Hong Kong was grappling with fresh cases in two more institutions for the elderly, and across more government departments and the disciplined services, including police, fire service and Immigration Department.

Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan, head of the Centre for Health Protection’s communicable disease branch, told a daily press briefing that 115 of Friday’s total were local cases, 62 of which were linked to previous infections, while 53 were without a known source.

Eight cases were imported, including seafarers from the Philippines and India, as well as returnees from India and Pakistan. The new cases took the city’s infection tally to 2,372, with about 100 preliminary positive cases pending confirmation. The city saw a previous daily high of 118 new infections on Thursday.

“The trend is still increasing,” Chuang said. “Although this situation reflects those [infections] in the past one or two weeks, it’s still worrying because we are seeing the patients have many social activities, which are difficult to trace and it is difficult to put their close contacts under quarantine.”

She said the city’s laboratories, quarantine sites and hospitals were bursting at the seams and pleaded with the public to stay home, noting that about half of the new cases involved unknown sources, and many of those infected were housewives and the elderly who only went out to shop at markets and eat at restaurants.

Four seamen among the latest cases were not related to the six cargo ships, which have more than 100 mariners on board in total, but Chuang said the work of contact tracing had become more difficult as some people did not give phone numbers that could be contacted, or had already left the city when their tests results were ready.

Seamen are exempt from the mandatory two-week quarantine rule, a loophole the government has been urged to plug.

The latest fatality, the city’s 16th, was a 74-year-old resident of Kong Tai Care for the Aged Centre Limited, where 44 infections have been recorded. The man, who was admitted to United Christian Hospital on July 9 and suffered kidney and liver failure, died at 12.48pm on Friday.

He was the fourth resident from the centre in coronavirus-hit Tsz Wan Shan to have died after being infected with the virus.

The authorities moved 50 people from the Salvation Army Lung Hang Residence for Senior Citizens in Tai Wai to a holiday centre for the elderly for quarantine, after one more resident was confirmed to have the coronavirus and two others tested preliminary positive. A cook and a cleaner at the home were also confirmed earlier.

One employee at Cornwall Elderly’s Home in Tuen Mun and another at Cornwall Elderly’s Home in Tai Po were confirmed with the virus, while a personal carer, who lives in Tsz Wan Shan and had visited two to three families, was also among the cases.

The city’s third wave of Covid-19 has so far led to infections in five care homes for the elderly.

More government departments were also affected. Officials said an officer in the traffic division at New Territories South regional police headquarters, a firefighter in Cheung Chau, and a senior immigration officer – the fifth from the department to be infected – had all caught Covid-19.

The Water Supplies Department said three construction workers of its contractor at Tuen Mun Water Treatment Works tested positive but drinking water safety was not affected.

A Leisure and Cultural Services Department worker responsible for tree management works in Tsuen Wan and Kwai Tsing, and a Registration and Electoral Office worker were confirmed cases, too.

Chuang urged civil servants to refrain from eating together and avoid visiting other departments if online meetings could be held instead.

The Hospital Authority said a patient who had been given red blood cells from a donor later confirmed to be infected with Covid-19 tested negative for the virus.

The government was also forced to clarify on Facebook on Friday afternoon that it had no plans to implement a complete lockdown for seven days next week after fake news circulated on social media platforms. It appealed to the public to access Covid-19 information through credible channels.

Meanwhile, an international team of researchers including University of Hong Kong infectious disease expert Yuen Kwok-yung conducted a large-scale evaluation of nearly 12,000 drugs, and found 13 showed “promising” results at blocking viral replication at clinically used dosages.

Three of the most effective, including one for tackling Ebola, were found to reduce the number of Covid-19 infected cells by a range of 65 to 85 per cent.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Concerns Mount Over Potential Saudi Uranium Enrichment in Prospective US Nuclear Accord
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
Investability Emerges as the Defining Test of Saudi Arabia’s Next Market Phase
Saudi Arabia’s Packaging Market Accelerates as Sustainability and E-Commerce Drive Transformation
Saudi Arabia’s Strategic Minerals Drive Offers Lessons for Europe’s Supply Chain Ambitions
Saudi Arabia Unveils $32 Billion Push Into Theme Parks and Global Entertainment
Saudi Crude Exports to India Climb Sharply, Closing Gap With Russia
Saudi Arabia’s Halal Cosmetics Market Expands as Faith and Ethical Beauty Drive Growth
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
ImmunityBio Secures Saudi Partnerships to Launch Flagship Cancer Therapy
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Launch Expanded Renewable Energy Partnership
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Saudi Arabia Tops Middle East Green Building Rankings with Record Growth in 2025
Qatar and Saudi Arabia Each Commit One Billion Dollars to President Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ Initiative
Ramadan 2026 Prayer Times Set as Fasting Begins in Saudi Arabia and Egypt Announces Dates
Saudi Arabia Launches Ramadan 2026 Hotel Campaign to Boost Religious and Leisure Tourism
Saudi Arabia Seeks Reroute of Greece-Bound Fibre-Optic Cable Through Syria Instead of Israel
Saudi-Backed Scopely Acquires Majority Stake in Turkey’s Loom Games to Expand Mobile Portfolio
Zodiac Milpro Launches Zid Marine Joint Venture in Saudi Arabia to Expand Regional Shipbuilding
Saudi Arabia Reaffirms Reform Path Amid Claims of Ideological Reversal
Calls Grow for Saudi Arabia and UAE to Settle Differences Through Direct Dialogue
Jensen Huang just told the story of how Elon Musk became NVIDIA’s very first customer for their powerful AI supercomputer
British couple sentenced to 10 years in Iran for espionage
Former British Prince Andrew Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office
Unitree Robotics founder Wang Xingxing showcases future robot deployment during Spring Festival Gala.
Prince William Holds Talks with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman During Saudi Visit
Saudi Arabia’s Humain Commits $3 Billion Investment to Elon Musk’s xAI
SCOPA Executive Unveils Ambitious Relaunch Strategy for Saudi Production Company
Saudi Arabia Sees Rise in Business Visa Rejections Amid Tighter Compliance Checks
Saudi PIF Transfers Take-Two Stake to Savvy Games Group in Strategic Gaming Push
Jimmy Carr Says He ‘Loved’ Saudi Arabia Show Amid Debate Over Performing in the Kingdom
Sotheby’s ‘Origins II’ Auction Signals Saudi Collectors’ Shift Toward Cultural Legacy
EY and Microsoft Deepen Saudi Arabia Partnership with Launch of EY Studio+
Google Pay Launches Support for Mastercard Cards in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia Bolsters Maritime Surveillance Fleet with Four C-27J Patrol Aircraft
Kazakhstan and Saudi Arabia Deepen Strategic Partnership with New Investment and Energy Agreements
Saudi Crown Prince Receives Written Message from Kazakhstan’s President Amid Expanding Strategic Ties
ImmunityBio Shares Rise After Saudi Arabia BCG Manufacturing Update Spurs Investor Optimism
Global Music Star Tyla Confirmed as Headliner at 2026 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix Entertainment Lineup
Somalia and Saudi Arabia Forge New Military Partnership Amid Regional Power Shifts
Saudi Arabia and Several Nations Criticize Israeli West Bank Land Measures as Diplomatic Tensions Rise
Saudi Public Investment Fund Transfers Stake in Take-Two Interactive as Portfolio Strategy Evolves
Saudi Arabia’s Flagship Defense Expo Highlights Industrial Ambitions and Expanding Arms Portfolio
Strategic Divergence Deepens as Saudi Arabia and UAE Recalibrate Gulf Partnership
Saudi Arabia Confirms Start of Ramadan as Crescent Moon Sighted, While Other Nations Begin a Day Later
Rubio Calls for Sweeping U.N. Reform, Saying It Has Failed to End Wars in Gaza and Ukraine
10,000 Condoms Distributed at Winter Olympics 2026 Athlete Village Depleted Within 72 Hours
Prince William Meets Saudi Crown Prince as Epstein-Andrew Fallout Casts Shadow
×