Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Friday, Aug 21, 2026

HK malls, housing areas the new epidemic battlefields

Nine local infections have come via unknown sources; doctors say next 2 weeks crucial to stopping local outbreaks

The Hong Kong government has been advised by microbiologists to take all possible measures to avoid community outbreaks of the Wuhan disease in shopping malls and residential areas.

Some infections had already occurred in Hong Kong, which indicated that local transmission had begun, Yuen Kwok-yung, a microbiologist at the University of Hong Kong, said in a radio program on Thursday.

Yuen said he feared that large-scale community outbreaks would happen. He said the government had to cut the transmission chain by not letting infected people enter Hong Kong and taking all available measures to lower the risk of human-to-human transmission in the city.

Yuen urged people in Hong Kong to jointly maintain good hygiene – by wearing masks and sterilizing their homes. He said people without masks were advised to keep a distance of six floor tiles, or 3.6 meters from one another.

Ho Pak-leung, president of the University of Hong Kong’s Centre for Infection, said the coming two weeks would be critical in containing the epidemic. He said the government had to take measures with foresight to monitor hygiene in shopping malls and residential buildings.

As of Thursday, some 22 infections had been reported in Hong Kong. That included 11 “imported” cases, two people infected by family members who imported the virus, three suspected local infections and six confirmed local infections.

Individuals who had close contact with the infected people, including some medical staff and at least four foreign domestic workers, have been sent to quarantine in holiday camps.

On Tuesday, a 64-year-old Hong Kong woman, who was living in Celestial Heights in Ho Man Tin and operating a clothes store named Fresh Up in Prudential Centre in Jordan, was confirmed as infected. She developed coughing on January 23 and went to see a doctor at Champion Building in Jordan. She had fever on January 30 and went to see another clinic. She was admitted to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital last Saturday and then sent to Princess Margaret Hospital on Sunday. She is now in a critical condition.

The woman’s son, daughter-in-law, two grandchildren and a domestic worker all had to be put in quarantine.

This woman could have infected a 25-year-old local man, who was living in an old building at 183 Ma Tau Wai Road, which is 200 meters away – a five-minute walk from Celestial Heights. The man is in a stable condition.

And on Wednesday, a 56-year-old Hong Kong man, who resided in Block 1, Villa Esplanada in Tsing Yi, was identified as infected with the Wuhan disease.

The man said he worked in Shenzhen and was in that city last on January 21. He then visited Tokyo between January 28 and February 1. On January 30, he developed a fever, with a sore throat and a cough with sputum. He consulted a private doctor last Sunday and then went to Princess Margaret Hospital on Tuesday. He is in a stable condition.

His wife presented symptoms of illness and was sent to the same hospital for treatment. She was confirmed as infected on Thursday. The man’s parents and domestic helper were then required to go into quarantine.

On Tuesday, a 39-year-old local man who visited Wuhan two weeks ago died in hospital. He was the first casualty of the Wuhan virus in Hong Kong.

The man’s 72-year-old mother was found to be infected last Saturday. His wife, daughter, son and domestic worker, who were living with him in an apartment in block 1, phase 11, at Whampoa Garden, were sent to quarantine.

On January 24, a Wuhan couple, who came to Hong Kong to visit their daughter at Lake Silver in Ma On Shan, were found to be infected. Their daughter developed a fever and was sent to the Prince of Wales Hospital for isolation, while her Filipino domestic worker was sent to the Lady MacLehose Holiday Village for quarantine.

The Philippine Consulate General in Hong Kong said in a statement on its Facebook page that “no Filipinos are allowed to travel back to China, Macau and Hong Kong at this time.” It also said: “Filipinos are allowed to travel back to the Philippines, subject to a 14-day quarantine.”

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Turkish Parliament Passes Landmark Bill Granting Conditional Amnesty to Disarmed PKK Members
Jorge Messi, Lionel Messi’s Father and Longtime Agent, Dies at 68
AI’s Next Bottleneck Is Power, Not Just Nvidia Chips
Meta Raises AI Spending Target to as Much as $145bn Despite Pressure Over Returns
Joe Biden’s Cancer Has Spread Beyond His Bones, Hunter Biden Says
Why 2027 Could Be a Strong Year for Stocks—and Why the Forecast Is Fragile
Why Markets May Look Quiet in August After Big Tech Earnings
Trump’s Top General Seeks an Exit Strategy From Iran War, Report Says
Brock Lesnar Retires From Wrestling, Closing a Career of Rare Athletic Range and Lasting Controversy
UFO: Pentagon Releases Video of Unidentified Object Tracked Over Middle East
Ukraine Tells Senate Republicans Its Drone War Offers a Blueprint for America
Weight-Loss Drug Boom Tests the Limits of Prescription Advertising Rules
Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Pakistan Sign Mutual-Defence Pact
AI Is Remaking the US Economy, From GDP Growth to iPhone Prices
A SpaceX Rocket Is About to Crash Into the Moon — and Scientists Hope to Watch
Modern Slavery Decisions Broaden the Al Fayed Inquiry’s Frame
FIFA’s Retreat Leaves a Larger Question Over Who Guards the Game
Finland Deploys Commercial-Scale Thermal Batteries Using Crushed Rock to Store Renewable Grid Energy
Valued at $109 Million: F-35B Fighter Jet Crashes in Southern California
US Says It Has Carried Out Heavy Strikes on Iran After Attempted Attacks on Its Forces
Over 24 Hours in the Air: Qantas Airbus Completes Record-Breaking Test Flight
Arrest Warrant Issued in Lebanon for Tycoon Spotted Meeting Netanyahu in Washington
Trump says Israel ‘would not survive’ without US
Nvidia Reportedly Takes Vast Texas Data-Centre Lease to Underwrite AI Expansion
FIFA’s Private-Investment Plan for World Cup Rights Draws European Revolt
Following OpenAI's Cyberattack: 'Most Companies Still Do Not Understand What Is Coming'
OpenAI Sued After ChatGPT Allegedly Discouraged Emergency Care Before Near-Fatal Embolism
Miliband Sets Climate and International Law at Centre of UK Diplomacy
Pentagon Discloses Nearly 100 US Troop Injuries During Renewed Iran Fighting
Trump Readies New Tariffs as Temporary Global Levy Nears Expiry
High Prices Push Coffee Drinkers Toward Whole Beans and Home Brewing
Trump Draws Boos and Podium Scrutiny at Spain’s World Cup Triumph
Spain Defeats Argentina in Extra Time to Win Second World Cup
Turkey Explores S-400 Transfer to UAE in Bid to Rejoin F-35 Program
US Retaliates Against Iran After Two American Troops Killed in Jordan
Proposed U.S.-Saudi Nuclear Pact Could Permit Limited Uranium Enrichment Under International Safeguards
Why Kentucky Fried Chicken Became KFC—and Why the False Explanations Persist
Iran Claims It Destroyed Bahrain’s Main Artificial Intelligence Center in Missile and Drone Strike
Ukrainian Drones Strike Wildberries Warehouses Deep Inside Russia
Reported CIA Mission Helped Clear the UAE’s Path to Advanced US AI Chips
Artificial Intelligence Capital Fuels Markets While Governments and Regulators Face Mounting Strategic Tests
China’s Moonshot’s Kimi K3 Narrows the Gap With Anthropic Through Scale, Openness and Lower Cost
Gold and Cash Seizure Puts Indonesia’s Senior Anti-Corruption Prosecutor Under Investigation
The Ledger Will Not Trust on Faith
Passenger Bound for Germany Refused to Sit Beside a Woman on a Plane — Then Slapped a Flight Attendant
Ukraine’s Leadership Rift Spills Into the Streets as Protesters Target Army Chief
The Ten World Cup Finals That Defined Football History
Smartphones Are Getting More Expensive, Sales Are Collapsing, and Even Apple Admits: "Prices Will Rise"
×