Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Friday, May 22, 2026

Hong Kong developer gifts a fifth of farmland to build public homes

Hong Kong developer gifts a fifth of farmland to build public homes

New World donates almost a fifth of its farmland reserves towards building public homes to ease Hong Kong’s housing woes, Non of the other Hong Kong Real Estate Mafia join this wonderful step. The donation could compel the remainder of Hong Kong’s biggest landowning families to contribute toward the city’s land supply to alleviate a housing problem said by Chinese state media to have fuelled the biggest public unrest in the city’s history.

New World Development will donate 3 million square feet of farmland to Hong Kong’s government and toward charity for building public homes.


The first part of the donation, comprising 28,000 square feet of land next to the Tin Shui Wai subway station, will be turned into 100 three-storey homes measuring 300 square feet each by 2022.


New World Development said it would donate nearly a fifth of its farmland reserves to Hong Kong’s government and to non-profit organisations for building public homes, stepping up with a tentative answer to the city’s housing crisis.

The company will hand over 3 million square feet (278,700 square metres) of farmland, equivalent to 27.8 hectares, said New World’s
Executive Vice-Chairman Adrian Cheng Chi-kong.

The company, whose property portfolio includes the Rosewood luxury hotel and shopping centres, will donate three pieces of land totalling 28,000 sq ft next to the Tin Shui Wai subway station to Light Be – a non-profit specialist in social housing and tenant development that New World had been working with – for building 100 homes each measuring 300 sq ft, Cheng said.

Construction on the land, which will be released to Light Be for a token sum of HK$1, is expected to be completed by 2022. New World will gift 1 million sq ft in total to Light Be, and is open to donating more land to other non-profit organisations, he said.

“We are very concerned about the housing problem in society,” Cheng said at a press conference after announcing the company’s annual financial results in Hong Kong. “We hope this can relieve the housing problem [where] about 10,000 people can benefit.”

The donation, equivalent to 17.8 per cent of New World’s farmland reserves, could compel the rest of Hong Kong’s landowning families – the Kwoks of Sun Hung Kai Properties, the Lees of Henderson Land Development, and the Lis of CK Asset Holdings – to contribute toward the city’s land supply to alleviate a housing problem that has Chinese state media has blamed for fuelling the biggest public unrest in the city’s history.

Hong Kong’s economy is on track for a technical recession in the fiscal third quarter starting in October, as 16 weeks of street mayhem and protest rallies deterred visitors, crimped retail sales and caused property prices to slide. One in 10 shops now stand empty in the city’s prime shopping district of Causeway Bay, as mainland Chinese shoppers chose to avoid Hong Kong.

“Other developers will be under pressure to help increase the land supply,” said Cushman & Wakefield’s Greater China chief executive Chiu Kam-kuen, adding that Hong Kong’s government needs a comprehensive plan before any addition can be turned meaningfully into liveable homes.

“Will the land be suitable for housing? If these land parcels are located in the green belt, or in areas that are inaccessible by road, they may not provide any immediate help to ease the housing shortage.”

Still, the move is the first tentative step towards a solution, two weeks after China’s state-owned media blamed Hong Kong’s unprecedented civic unrest on the city’s unaffordable housing. Commentaries urged the Hong Kong government to boost housing by seizing land being hoarded by developers with “vested interests”.

The move could also be a boon for Hong Kong’s Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor, who is expected to deliver her annual policy address by mid-October, her first since the city’s political crisis started.

Lam’s administration has said a proposed vacancy tax will be submitted for vetting by lawmakers in October. It targets developers who hoard completed, but unsold homes – estimated at about 100,000 units – to add to the housing supply to alleviate prices.

At the same time, the city’s biggest pro-Beijing political party also proposed the use of the Lands Resumption Ordinance
, a piece of legislation that empowers the government to seize land from private landowners for building subsidised homes.

“With detailed planning, the government will have an idea of the land that it should acquire for public housing,” said Cushman & Wakefield’s Chiu. “At the same time, the government should speed up building roads, bridges to improve the accessibility to make it suitable for housing development. Otherwise, even if the government gets 1,000 hectares of land for 600,000 homes, they would be useless.”

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
The Great Western Exit: Why Best Citizens Are Fleeing the Rich World [PODCAST]
The New Robber Barons of Intelligence: Are AI Bosses More Powerful Than Rockefeller?
The AI Gold Rush Is Coming for America’s Last Open Spaces [Podcast]
The Pentagon’s AI Squeeze: Eight Tech Giants Get In, Anthropic Gets Shut Out [Podcast]
The War Map: Professor Jiang’s Dark Theory of Iran, Trump, China, Russia, Israel, and the Coming Global Shock [Podcast]
AI Isn’t Stealing Your Job. It’s Dismantling It Piece by Piece.
Kennedy’s Quiet War on Antidepressants Sparks Alarm Across America’s Medical Establishment
Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Crosses Hormuz via Iran-Controlled Route
Crypto Scammers Capitalize on Maritime Chaos Near the Strait of Hormuz: A Rising Threat to Shipping Companies
Changi Airport: How Singapore Engineered the World’s Most Efficient Travel Experience
News Roundup
Microsoft lost 2.5 millions users (French government) to Linux
Strategic Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Security Concerns as Trump Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Keeps Red Sea Oil Exports Flowing Despite Regional Tensions
Pipeline Attack Cuts Significant Share of Saudi Arabia’s Oil Export Capacity
Saudi Business Leader Abudawood Appointed Chairman of Merit Incentives Group
TotalEnergies Confirms Damage at Saudi Refinery Following Security Incident
Saudi Arabia Launches Early Construction Phase for King Salman Stadium Project
Saudi Shift Away from Longstanding Dollar Oil Framework Gains Attention Amid Iran Conflict
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Resolve Long-Running Transit Visa Dispute
Saudi Oil Capacity and Pipeline Flows Reduced as Supply Risks Intensify
TotalEnergies Reports Damage to Saudi SATORP Refinery Following Security Incidents
Gulf States Assess Prospects of U.S.-Iran Truce as Regional Stability Efforts Intensify
South Korea Resumes Honey Exports to Saudi Arabia Following Sanitary Approval
Saudi Arabia Carries Out Sentences in Eastern Province Following Security Convictions
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Backs King Street’s Regional Credit Strategy
Saudi Arabia Secures World Cup Return as Egypt Celebrates Landmark Qualification
Iran and Saudi Arabia Intensify Diplomatic Engagement Amid Regional Tensions
Russia and Saudi Arabia Open Visa-Free Travel Corridor for Citizens
Saudi Oil Output Capacity Reduced by 600,000 Barrels Per Day Amid Regional Conflict
Saudi Arabia Suspends Operations at Select Energy Sites as Precautionary Measure
Saudi Arabia Halts Operations at Multiple Energy Facilities Amid Heightened Tensions
Global Markets Jolt as Iran Signals Ceasefire Breakdown and Rising Regional Tensions
King Street Aligns with Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund to Expand Alternative Investments in Middle East
Attack on Saudi Arabia’s Jubail Petrochemical Hub Raises Global Supply Concerns
Debate Emerges Over Saudi Strategic Decisions as Gulf Cooperation Council Dynamics Come Into Focus
Saudi Arabia Expands Full Workforce Localisation to 69 Professions in Major Labour Reform
Emerging Alliance of Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt and Saudi Arabia Signals New Regional Power Dynamic Amid Iran Conflict
Iran Linked to Strikes Across Gulf States Following Refinery Attack Escalation
Saudi Arabia Voices Concern Over Fragile US–Iran Ceasefire Stability
Starmer Warns Sustained Effort Needed to Ensure US–Iran Ceasefire Holds
Saudi Arabia’s Key East-West Oil Pipeline Targeted Following Ceasefire Announcement
Iran Targets Saudi Arabia’s East-West Oil Pipeline in Escalating Regional Tensions
Trump Warns of Civilizational Stakes as Iran Halts Negotiations
Saudi Companies Expand Remote Work Measures Ahead of Iran-Related Security Concerns
Iran Warns of Strikes on Saudi Energy Infrastructure if US Targets Its Facilities
Iran Urges Civilians to Form Human Shields Around Nuclear Sites as Diplomatic Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Raises Oil Prices to Record Premiums Amid Supply Pressures Linked to Iran Conflict
Key Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Heightened Security Concerns Linked to Iran
Formula One Calendar Gap Explained as Fans Await Next Grand Prix
×