Switzerland’s supreme court confirms Tariq Ramadan's rape and sexual coercion conviction.
GENEVA: Switzerland’s supreme court said Thursday it had rejected an appeal by Islamic scholar Tariq Ramadan against his rape conviction, but his lawyers said he would take the case to Europe’s rights court.
The Federal Court dismissed Ramadan’s appeal against the conviction for rape and sexual coercion handed down by the Geneva Court of Justice.
Ramadan’s lawyers Yael Hayat and Guerric Canonica stated that they contest the decision and will take it to the European Court of Human Rights.
After being acquitted in 2023, a Geneva appeals court last year found the 63-year-old former Oxford University professor guilty of rape and sexual coercion of a woman in a Geneva hotel 17 years ago.
It sentenced him to three years in prison, two of which were suspended.
The ruling marked the first guilty verdict against Ramadan, who faces a string of rape allegations in Switzerland and France.
This confirmation by the supreme court adds weight to his conviction for these serious sexual offenses.