Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Friday, May 22, 2026

New Zealand puts city into lockdown after recording just three cases

New Zealand puts city into lockdown after recording just three cases

A city in New Zealand will go into lockdown after three cases of coronavirus were identified – the country’s first outbreak in 21 days.

Auckland’s three-day lockdown will begin on Sunday night, while the rest of the country is also placed under heightened restrictions, amid fears that a more contagious strain could be involved.

The lockdown will be the first the country has seen in six months.

New Zealand’s Covid-19 minister Chris Hipkins confirmed that a family-of-three, from south Auckland, had tested positive for the disease but that the cases are being treated as unexplained. He also said authorities were tracing people the family had been in contact with.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has returned to Wellington after being set to attend a gay pride event in Auckland. Instead, she will now hold discussions on next steps from the country’s capital.

She announced the move for Auckland after an urgent meeting with other top politicians in the cabinet.

Ms Ardern said they decided to take a cautious approach until they found out more about the outbreak, including whether the infections were of the more contagious variants.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern returned to Wellington to be briefed on the new cases


The patients’ places of work and the daughter’s high school have taken steps to stop any further spread of the disease.

It comes after January saw the country’s first coronavirus case in more than two months, when a 56-year-old woman returned from Europe.

New Zealand has been hailed around the world for its success in dealing with the virus and pushing case and death rates down to virtually zero.

People have returned to work, while sporting events and concerts are going ahead without masks or social distancing measures.

The country is set to start vaccinating its population of 5 million on February 20, after receiving their stock of Pfizer vaccines earlier than expected.

At a press conference on Sunday Ms Arden said: ‘I’m asking New Zealanders to continue to be strong and to be kind.

New Zealand has enjoyed almost no local coronavirus restrictions for months


‘I know we all feel the same way when this happens. We all get that sense of “not again”.

‘But remember, we have been here before and that means we know how to get out of this again, and that is together.’

Although all travellers returning to New Zealand have to quarantine for two weeks, the virus has made its way through the quarantine system on a few occasions.

Officials are still investigating whether this is what happened in the latest outbreak.

Mr Hipkins said: ‘New Zealand has kept Covid-19 contained better than almost any other country. But as we have kept saying, there is no such thing as no risk.’

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
The Great Western Exit: Why Best Citizens Are Fleeing the Rich World [PODCAST]
The New Robber Barons of Intelligence: Are AI Bosses More Powerful Than Rockefeller?
The AI Gold Rush Is Coming for America’s Last Open Spaces [Podcast]
The Pentagon’s AI Squeeze: Eight Tech Giants Get In, Anthropic Gets Shut Out [Podcast]
The War Map: Professor Jiang’s Dark Theory of Iran, Trump, China, Russia, Israel, and the Coming Global Shock [Podcast]
AI Isn’t Stealing Your Job. It’s Dismantling It Piece by Piece.
Kennedy’s Quiet War on Antidepressants Sparks Alarm Across America’s Medical Establishment
Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Crosses Hormuz via Iran-Controlled Route
Crypto Scammers Capitalize on Maritime Chaos Near the Strait of Hormuz: A Rising Threat to Shipping Companies
Changi Airport: How Singapore Engineered the World’s Most Efficient Travel Experience
News Roundup
Microsoft lost 2.5 millions users (French government) to Linux
Strategic Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Security Concerns as Trump Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Keeps Red Sea Oil Exports Flowing Despite Regional Tensions
Pipeline Attack Cuts Significant Share of Saudi Arabia’s Oil Export Capacity
Saudi Business Leader Abudawood Appointed Chairman of Merit Incentives Group
TotalEnergies Confirms Damage at Saudi Refinery Following Security Incident
Saudi Arabia Launches Early Construction Phase for King Salman Stadium Project
Saudi Shift Away from Longstanding Dollar Oil Framework Gains Attention Amid Iran Conflict
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Resolve Long-Running Transit Visa Dispute
Saudi Oil Capacity and Pipeline Flows Reduced as Supply Risks Intensify
TotalEnergies Reports Damage to Saudi SATORP Refinery Following Security Incidents
Gulf States Assess Prospects of U.S.-Iran Truce as Regional Stability Efforts Intensify
South Korea Resumes Honey Exports to Saudi Arabia Following Sanitary Approval
Saudi Arabia Carries Out Sentences in Eastern Province Following Security Convictions
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Backs King Street’s Regional Credit Strategy
Saudi Arabia Secures World Cup Return as Egypt Celebrates Landmark Qualification
Iran and Saudi Arabia Intensify Diplomatic Engagement Amid Regional Tensions
Russia and Saudi Arabia Open Visa-Free Travel Corridor for Citizens
Saudi Oil Output Capacity Reduced by 600,000 Barrels Per Day Amid Regional Conflict
Saudi Arabia Suspends Operations at Select Energy Sites as Precautionary Measure
Saudi Arabia Halts Operations at Multiple Energy Facilities Amid Heightened Tensions
Global Markets Jolt as Iran Signals Ceasefire Breakdown and Rising Regional Tensions
King Street Aligns with Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund to Expand Alternative Investments in Middle East
Attack on Saudi Arabia’s Jubail Petrochemical Hub Raises Global Supply Concerns
Debate Emerges Over Saudi Strategic Decisions as Gulf Cooperation Council Dynamics Come Into Focus
Saudi Arabia Expands Full Workforce Localisation to 69 Professions in Major Labour Reform
Emerging Alliance of Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt and Saudi Arabia Signals New Regional Power Dynamic Amid Iran Conflict
Iran Linked to Strikes Across Gulf States Following Refinery Attack Escalation
Saudi Arabia Voices Concern Over Fragile US–Iran Ceasefire Stability
Starmer Warns Sustained Effort Needed to Ensure US–Iran Ceasefire Holds
Saudi Arabia’s Key East-West Oil Pipeline Targeted Following Ceasefire Announcement
Iran Targets Saudi Arabia’s East-West Oil Pipeline in Escalating Regional Tensions
Trump Warns of Civilizational Stakes as Iran Halts Negotiations
Saudi Companies Expand Remote Work Measures Ahead of Iran-Related Security Concerns
Iran Warns of Strikes on Saudi Energy Infrastructure if US Targets Its Facilities
Iran Urges Civilians to Form Human Shields Around Nuclear Sites as Diplomatic Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Raises Oil Prices to Record Premiums Amid Supply Pressures Linked to Iran Conflict
Key Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Heightened Security Concerns Linked to Iran
Formula One Calendar Gap Explained as Fans Await Next Grand Prix
×