Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Friday, Feb 20, 2026

New coronavirus rules cause weeks of cancelled restaurant bookings in Manchester

One restaurant lost 100 bookings after the government placed the area in lockdown.
Worried customers are frantically cancelling bookings with Manchester pubs and restaurants due to new coronavirus restrictions launched on Friday, a hospitality boss has said.

Sacha Lord, night time economy adviser for Greater Manchester, said one restaurant had already lost 100 bookings over the coming three weeks.

The government announced local measures in Greater Manchester and parts of east Lancashire and West Yorkshire at 11pm on Thursday July 30 that were to come into effect the next day.

The measures were put in place after a spike in virus cases in the area. The government hopes banning different households from meeting indoors or in gardens will also help lower soaring infection rates.

New restrictions also prevent two different households from mixing in pubs, restaurants, and other hospitality sites.

The venues will be allowed to remain open so long as guests only visit individually or with members of their own household.

Mr Lord, founder of Parklife festival and the Warehouse Project, said he feared this could lead to closures, some permanently. He continued: ‘There’s a lot of panic at the moment.

‘The night time economy only opened a few weeks ago and is already on its knees, this feels like the final hammer blow.’

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said two households in the North West can still meet ‘at a social distance in a public place outdoors’ such as a park. However, meeting another household in a pub garden or an outdoor restaurant space is not allowed.

Mr Lord also criticised the timing of the announcement, which was made just a few hours before the restrictions came into effect.

He said: ‘All the produce had been brought in for this weekend, staff rotas were done. On what could be the hottest day of the year the beer gardens would have been heaving, to drop this last night is shambolic.

‘Safety is the most important thing, but this could have been dealt with so much better.

‘It has been ill thought out, I still think they are making it up as they go along.’ Maurizio Cecco, owner of Salvi’s in Manchester, said 70% of bookings at the Italian restaurant had been cancelled as a result of the new restrictions.

He added: ‘Today should be the hottest day of the year and we brought more stock in and things like that, but it’s not as busy as I thought it should be because of last night.

‘We should protect ourselves and the Government should take action, but we needed to know sooner. They waited until the last minute, businesses can’t change everything in no time.’

Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham said the government was right to take action after it became clear that the picture on Covid-19 cases had changed, and urged people to obey the new restrictions.

He told Sky News: ‘On the substance, we do accept that these steps are needed. They’re modest steps.

‘We’re asking people not to have visitors at home, if they go to the pub to stick within their own household – steps that hopefully will prevent much more severe restrictions if we take firm action at this time.’

Increasing infection rates across the UK have also pushed the government to slow the easing of lockdown in other areas, despite criticism.

Venues such as casinos and bowling alleys were due to open on August 1 but this has been pushed back in an effort to stem the flow of Covid.
Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Concerns Mount Over Potential Saudi Uranium Enrichment in Prospective US Nuclear Accord
Investability Emerges as the Defining Test of Saudi Arabia’s Next Market Phase
Saudi Arabia’s Packaging Market Accelerates as Sustainability and E-Commerce Drive Transformation
Saudi Arabia’s Strategic Minerals Drive Offers Lessons for Europe’s Supply Chain Ambitions
Saudi Arabia Unveils $32 Billion Push Into Theme Parks and Global Entertainment
Saudi Crude Exports to India Climb Sharply, Closing Gap With Russia
Saudi Arabia’s Halal Cosmetics Market Expands as Faith and Ethical Beauty Drive Growth
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
ImmunityBio Secures Saudi Partnerships to Launch Flagship Cancer Therapy
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Launch Expanded Renewable Energy Partnership
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Saudi Arabia Tops Middle East Green Building Rankings with Record Growth in 2025
Qatar and Saudi Arabia Each Commit One Billion Dollars to President Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ Initiative
Ramadan 2026 Prayer Times Set as Fasting Begins in Saudi Arabia and Egypt Announces Dates
Saudi Arabia Launches Ramadan 2026 Hotel Campaign to Boost Religious and Leisure Tourism
Saudi Arabia Seeks Reroute of Greece-Bound Fibre-Optic Cable Through Syria Instead of Israel
Saudi-Backed Scopely Acquires Majority Stake in Turkey’s Loom Games to Expand Mobile Portfolio
Zodiac Milpro Launches Zid Marine Joint Venture in Saudi Arabia to Expand Regional Shipbuilding
Saudi Arabia Reaffirms Reform Path Amid Claims of Ideological Reversal
Calls Grow for Saudi Arabia and UAE to Settle Differences Through Direct Dialogue
Jensen Huang just told the story of how Elon Musk became NVIDIA’s very first customer for their powerful AI supercomputer
British couple sentenced to 10 years in Iran for espionage
Former British Prince Andrew Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office
Unitree Robotics founder Wang Xingxing showcases future robot deployment during Spring Festival Gala.
Prince William Holds Talks with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman During Saudi Visit
Saudi Arabia’s Humain Commits $3 Billion Investment to Elon Musk’s xAI
SCOPA Executive Unveils Ambitious Relaunch Strategy for Saudi Production Company
Saudi Arabia Sees Rise in Business Visa Rejections Amid Tighter Compliance Checks
Saudi PIF Transfers Take-Two Stake to Savvy Games Group in Strategic Gaming Push
Jimmy Carr Says He ‘Loved’ Saudi Arabia Show Amid Debate Over Performing in the Kingdom
Sotheby’s ‘Origins II’ Auction Signals Saudi Collectors’ Shift Toward Cultural Legacy
EY and Microsoft Deepen Saudi Arabia Partnership with Launch of EY Studio+
Google Pay Launches Support for Mastercard Cards in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia Bolsters Maritime Surveillance Fleet with Four C-27J Patrol Aircraft
Kazakhstan and Saudi Arabia Deepen Strategic Partnership with New Investment and Energy Agreements
Saudi Crown Prince Receives Written Message from Kazakhstan’s President Amid Expanding Strategic Ties
ImmunityBio Shares Rise After Saudi Arabia BCG Manufacturing Update Spurs Investor Optimism
Global Music Star Tyla Confirmed as Headliner at 2026 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix Entertainment Lineup
Somalia and Saudi Arabia Forge New Military Partnership Amid Regional Power Shifts
Saudi Arabia and Several Nations Criticize Israeli West Bank Land Measures as Diplomatic Tensions Rise
Saudi Public Investment Fund Transfers Stake in Take-Two Interactive as Portfolio Strategy Evolves
Saudi Arabia’s Flagship Defense Expo Highlights Industrial Ambitions and Expanding Arms Portfolio
Strategic Divergence Deepens as Saudi Arabia and UAE Recalibrate Gulf Partnership
Saudi Arabia Confirms Start of Ramadan as Crescent Moon Sighted, While Other Nations Begin a Day Later
Rubio Calls for Sweeping U.N. Reform, Saying It Has Failed to End Wars in Gaza and Ukraine
10,000 Condoms Distributed at Winter Olympics 2026 Athlete Village Depleted Within 72 Hours
Prince William Meets Saudi Crown Prince as Epstein-Andrew Fallout Casts Shadow
Goldman Sachs and DP World Executive Resignations: Elite-Reputation Risk and Corporate Governance Fallout From the Epstein Disclosures
OpenAI and DeepCent Superintelligence Race: Artificial General Intelligence and AI Agents as a National Security Arms Race
×