Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Thursday, May 19, 2022

Formula 1 STC Saudi Arabian Grand Prix continues 'as planned'

Formula 1 STC Saudi Arabian Grand Prix continues 'as planned'

The Saudi Motorsport Company (SMC) confirmed that the Formula 1 STC Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2022 schedule will continue during the weekend as planned in the wake of a fire at a Jeddah Aramco petroleum facility.
The company assured that all necessary security and safety measures continue to be implemented to guarantee the safety of all visitors to the Formula1STC Saudi Arabian Grand Prix as well as all drivers, teams and stakeholders.

“We are aware of the attack on the Aramco distribution station in Jeddah earlier this afternoon and remain in direct contact with the Saudi security authorities, as well as f1 and the FIA to ensure all necessary security and safety measures continue to be implemented,” the statement read.

SMC said: “The race weekend schedule will continue as planned. The safety and security of all our guests continues to be our main priority and we look forward to welcoming fans for a weekend of premium racing and entertainment.”

The Aramco distribution station in Jeddah is over 24 kilometers far from the Jeddah Corniche Circuit where the race is taking place.

The Arab Coalition to restore legitimacy in Yemen said that "These hostile attacks had no impact or repercussions in any way, shape or form on public life in Jeddah City.”

From a quick tour in Jeddah streets, it’s clear that the public activities remain live with no interruption and people are enjoying their daily life.

On another side of the city also, where a lot of fun is going on in the Jeddah Corniche Circuit, the music is loud and the lights are on and thousands of people are living the full F1 experience.

Visitors speaking to Saudi Gazette were clearly wanting to enjoy their time and had nothing to fear or panic about.

One said: "We feel that nothing happened... if we didn’t read it in the media I don’t think we would ever know such an attack took place.”

“At (1725), Saudi Aramco’s Bulk Plant in Jeddah was targeted with a an act of aggression, the early indications of which suggest that it was targeted by the terrorist, Iran-backed Houthi militia," an official statement by the official spokesperson of the Coalition to restore legitimacy in Yemen Brigadier General Turki Al-Malki read.

A fire erupted in two tanks in the oil facility; the fire was controlled, and no injuries or loss of life were recorded.

Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Energy confirmed that the oil distribution plant in Jeddah as well as Al Mukhtara station in Jazan had been hit by a projectile.

“Saudi Arabia stresses the importance of the international community being aware of the danger of Iran continuing to provide the terrorist Houthi militias with ballistic missile and advanced drone technologies, with which they target oil and gas production sites and their derivatives in the kingdom,” a ministry source said.
Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
×