Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Sunday, Feb 22, 2026

‘No vaccine, no ride’: Limits imposed on Manila public transport

‘No vaccine, no ride’: Limits imposed on Manila public transport

The policy covers all domestic public transport to, from and within Metro Manila, but critics say the order is discriminatory.

The Philippine government has banned unvaccinated residents of the capital Manila and surrounding districts from public transport amid a new surge of COVID-19 cases due to the Omicron variant.

In an order published on Wednesday, the country’s transport secretary, Arthur Tugade, said the “no vaccination, no ride” policy covers all domestic public transport to, from and within Metro Manila.

Operators of public transport, including land, air and sea, “shall allow access or issue tickets only to fully vaccinated persons”, and passengers are required to show proof of their identification and vaccination status.

The order added that people are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after receiving their second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, or two weeks after getting a single-dose vaccine.

Earlier, the mayors of Metro Manila agreed to limit the mobility of unvaccinated people in the capital, including a ban from entry to shopping centres and other facilities, although some legal experts questioned the constitutionality of the restrictions.

President Rodrigo Duterte had drawn criticism after he ordered the arrest of unvaccinated people who will violate stay-at-home orders aimed at curbing the spread of the virus, which is triggering a new wave of record-breaking cases since the start of the year.

As of January 10, an estimated 52.86 million Filipinos were fully vaccinated, according to the government, equivalent to 48 percent of the country’s total population of 110 million.

On Tuesday, the Philippines reported 28,007 new COVID cases, slightly lower than Monday’s record-breaking 33,000 new cases. There are more than 200,000 active cases in the country.

‘Illegal, absurd’


The transport department’s new order said any violations “shall be considered a violation of applicable general safety and health provisions” imposed in the country since the pandemic.

There are some exemptions to the order, including people with medical conditions who cannot be vaccinated and individuals who are assigned by their household to buy essential goods outside their residence.


However, the order has drawn strong opposition. In a statement, an opposition and rights group leader Renato Reyes called it “patently illegal and absurd”.

“Half the population will not be allowed to move now? How about people who are going to their vaccination sites? They are expected to walk?,” he wrote on social media.

Transport advocacy group AltMobility PH questioned the order, saying it was discriminatory.

“You’re discriminating the movement of people who take public transportation,” he said. “What about those in private vehicles? How come they’re allowed to go around the city without any checks,” the group’s director Ira Cruz was quoted by ABS-CBN website as saying.

“Is it really easy for people to get vaccinated? We still hear stories of people spending an entire day at a vaccination site to get vaccinated,” Cruz said.

Since the pandemic hit the Philippines in 2020, Duterte has imposed measures that have been questioned by critics as too restrictive and not based on data and science.

Duterte had previously threatened to arrest those who violated the country’s lockdown measures, and warned those who refused to get vaccinated that they would go to jail amid the spread of Delta variant last year.

When the government first imposed lockdowns in the country in April 2020, Duterte also warned that he would order the country’s police and military to shoot dead anyone “who creates trouble”.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Proposed US-Saudi Nuclear Deal Raises Questions Over Uranium Enrichment Provisions
Saudi Arabia Sends 81st Aid Flight to Gaza as Humanitarian Air Bridge Continues
Global Games Show Riyadh 2026 Positioned as Catalyst for Saudi Arabia’s Vision 2030
Saudi Arabia Eases Procurement Rules, Allowing Foreign Firms Greater Access to Government Contracts
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Seal Two Billion Dollar Solar Energy Agreement
Saudi Crown Prince Reportedly Sends Letter to UAE Leader Over Yemen and Sudan Policies
Saudi Arabia Voices Concerns to UAE Over Sudan Conflict and Yemen Strategy
Saudi Arabia Joins Global Artificial Intelligence Alliance to Strengthen International Collaboration
Shura Island Positioned as Flagship of Saudi Arabia’s Ambitious Red Sea Tourism Drive
Saudi Arabia Rebukes Mike Huckabee Over Remarks in Tucker Carlson Interview
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman praises the rapid progress of Chinese tech companies.
Concerns Mount Over Potential Saudi Uranium Enrichment in Prospective US Nuclear Accord
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
Investability Emerges as the Defining Test of Saudi Arabia’s Next Market Phase
Saudi Arabia’s Packaging Market Accelerates as Sustainability and E-Commerce Drive Transformation
Saudi Arabia’s Strategic Minerals Drive Offers Lessons for Europe’s Supply Chain Ambitions
Saudi Arabia Unveils $32 Billion Push Into Theme Parks and Global Entertainment
Saudi Crude Exports to India Climb Sharply, Closing Gap With Russia
Saudi Arabia’s Halal Cosmetics Market Expands as Faith and Ethical Beauty Drive Growth
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
ImmunityBio Secures Saudi Partnerships to Launch Flagship Cancer Therapy
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Launch Expanded Renewable Energy Partnership
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Saudi Arabia Tops Middle East Green Building Rankings with Record Growth in 2025
Qatar and Saudi Arabia Each Commit One Billion Dollars to President Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ Initiative
Ramadan 2026 Prayer Times Set as Fasting Begins in Saudi Arabia and Egypt Announces Dates
Saudi Arabia Launches Ramadan 2026 Hotel Campaign to Boost Religious and Leisure Tourism
Saudi Arabia Seeks Reroute of Greece-Bound Fibre-Optic Cable Through Syria Instead of Israel
Saudi-Backed Scopely Acquires Majority Stake in Turkey’s Loom Games to Expand Mobile Portfolio
Zodiac Milpro Launches Zid Marine Joint Venture in Saudi Arabia to Expand Regional Shipbuilding
Saudi Arabia Reaffirms Reform Path Amid Claims of Ideological Reversal
Calls Grow for Saudi Arabia and UAE to Settle Differences Through Direct Dialogue
Jensen Huang just told the story of how Elon Musk became NVIDIA’s very first customer for their powerful AI supercomputer
British couple sentenced to 10 years in Iran for espionage
Former British Prince Andrew Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office
Unitree Robotics founder Wang Xingxing showcases future robot deployment during Spring Festival Gala.
Prince William Holds Talks with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman During Saudi Visit
Saudi Arabia’s Humain Commits $3 Billion Investment to Elon Musk’s xAI
SCOPA Executive Unveils Ambitious Relaunch Strategy for Saudi Production Company
Saudi Arabia Sees Rise in Business Visa Rejections Amid Tighter Compliance Checks
Saudi PIF Transfers Take-Two Stake to Savvy Games Group in Strategic Gaming Push
Jimmy Carr Says He ‘Loved’ Saudi Arabia Show Amid Debate Over Performing in the Kingdom
Sotheby’s ‘Origins II’ Auction Signals Saudi Collectors’ Shift Toward Cultural Legacy
EY and Microsoft Deepen Saudi Arabia Partnership with Launch of EY Studio+
Google Pay Launches Support for Mastercard Cards in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia Bolsters Maritime Surveillance Fleet with Four C-27J Patrol Aircraft
Kazakhstan and Saudi Arabia Deepen Strategic Partnership with New Investment and Energy Agreements
Saudi Crown Prince Receives Written Message from Kazakhstan’s President Amid Expanding Strategic Ties
×