Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Friday, May 22, 2026

Concern group says women face common threat of nude photos taken without their consent

Majority of respondents to questionnaire say they had no idea they were being photographed or filmed. Victim have little success in seeing their perpetrators prosecuted due to lack of laws

An overwhelming majority of people responding to a questionnaire about image-based sexual violence said they had been photographed or videotaped nude or in a sexually revealing way without their consent, a concern group said on Saturday.

Some 73 per cent of participants reported being victims of such abuse, while more than half said the perpetrator was someone they knew, according to the Association Concerning Sexual Violence Against Women, which released its findings a day ahead of International Women’s Day. Winning justice through the courts was difficult due to a lack of specific laws allowing for prosecution, the group said.

Between last May and January, the concern group received 206 responses to a multiple-choice questionnaire posted online that listed different types of image-based abuse, with 90 per cent of the participants being female. Respondents ranged in age from 11 to 54.

Some 73 per cent of respondents said they had been photographed or taped nude or in a sexually revealing way, including falling victim to upskirting while in a public space or being recorded during a sex act.

The group reported that 54 per cent said the perpetrators had been partners, with some using the compromising images to control or coerce the victims. Some 37 per cent of respondents said they had been violated by strangers.

“Image-based sexual violence is becoming more and more serious,” said Linda Wong Sau-yung, executive director of the association. “Of the sexual violence cases we received at [rape-crisis centre] RainLily in 2019, every one in seven cases was related to image-based sexual violence.”

Other forms of the abuse included distributing intimate images without the subject’s consent and creating fake pornography depicting the victim.

The association also carried out in-depth interviews with 11 victims. One interviewee, identified only as “F”, said her life was all but destroyed after she learned a recording had been made of her in a sex act. The perpetrator used the clip to extort her and is believed to have shared it with others.

“I would definitely not agree to have my sexual activities recorded, let alone being shared,” the victim was heard saying in an audio clip played at the press conference. “It was like being raped in public ... The panic and damage I experience are endless.”

Through tears, the woman described suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and thoughts of committing suicide.

She had repeatedly checked online forums or pornography websites to see whether the clip had been posted but had not found it.

“The pressure and torment I have undergone are not things ordinary people can understand.”

The association said 60 per cent of victims avoided seeking help or sharing their experience with others mainly because they were afraid of making the situation worse or feared they would be blamed.

Of the respondents, 51 said they had gone to the police for help, but 35 were told a case could not be opened, mainly due to insufficient evidence or because no specific crime had been committed. Only four saw the perpetrator successfully prosecuted.

The association said it hoped the government and the Hong Kong Law Reform Commission could launch a review of how overseas jurisdictions combated the problem and introduce penalties targeting image-based sexual violence.

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
The Great Western Exit: Why Best Citizens Are Fleeing the Rich World [PODCAST]
The New Robber Barons of Intelligence: Are AI Bosses More Powerful Than Rockefeller?
The AI Gold Rush Is Coming for America’s Last Open Spaces [Podcast]
The Pentagon’s AI Squeeze: Eight Tech Giants Get In, Anthropic Gets Shut Out [Podcast]
The War Map: Professor Jiang’s Dark Theory of Iran, Trump, China, Russia, Israel, and the Coming Global Shock [Podcast]
AI Isn’t Stealing Your Job. It’s Dismantling It Piece by Piece.
Kennedy’s Quiet War on Antidepressants Sparks Alarm Across America’s Medical Establishment
Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Crosses Hormuz via Iran-Controlled Route
Crypto Scammers Capitalize on Maritime Chaos Near the Strait of Hormuz: A Rising Threat to Shipping Companies
Changi Airport: How Singapore Engineered the World’s Most Efficient Travel Experience
News Roundup
Microsoft lost 2.5 millions users (French government) to Linux
Strategic Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Security Concerns as Trump Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Keeps Red Sea Oil Exports Flowing Despite Regional Tensions
Pipeline Attack Cuts Significant Share of Saudi Arabia’s Oil Export Capacity
Saudi Business Leader Abudawood Appointed Chairman of Merit Incentives Group
TotalEnergies Confirms Damage at Saudi Refinery Following Security Incident
Saudi Arabia Launches Early Construction Phase for King Salman Stadium Project
Saudi Shift Away from Longstanding Dollar Oil Framework Gains Attention Amid Iran Conflict
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Resolve Long-Running Transit Visa Dispute
Saudi Oil Capacity and Pipeline Flows Reduced as Supply Risks Intensify
TotalEnergies Reports Damage to Saudi SATORP Refinery Following Security Incidents
Gulf States Assess Prospects of U.S.-Iran Truce as Regional Stability Efforts Intensify
South Korea Resumes Honey Exports to Saudi Arabia Following Sanitary Approval
Saudi Arabia Carries Out Sentences in Eastern Province Following Security Convictions
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Backs King Street’s Regional Credit Strategy
Saudi Arabia Secures World Cup Return as Egypt Celebrates Landmark Qualification
Iran and Saudi Arabia Intensify Diplomatic Engagement Amid Regional Tensions
Russia and Saudi Arabia Open Visa-Free Travel Corridor for Citizens
Saudi Oil Output Capacity Reduced by 600,000 Barrels Per Day Amid Regional Conflict
Saudi Arabia Suspends Operations at Select Energy Sites as Precautionary Measure
Saudi Arabia Halts Operations at Multiple Energy Facilities Amid Heightened Tensions
Global Markets Jolt as Iran Signals Ceasefire Breakdown and Rising Regional Tensions
King Street Aligns with Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund to Expand Alternative Investments in Middle East
Attack on Saudi Arabia’s Jubail Petrochemical Hub Raises Global Supply Concerns
Debate Emerges Over Saudi Strategic Decisions as Gulf Cooperation Council Dynamics Come Into Focus
Saudi Arabia Expands Full Workforce Localisation to 69 Professions in Major Labour Reform
Emerging Alliance of Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt and Saudi Arabia Signals New Regional Power Dynamic Amid Iran Conflict
Iran Linked to Strikes Across Gulf States Following Refinery Attack Escalation
Saudi Arabia Voices Concern Over Fragile US–Iran Ceasefire Stability
Starmer Warns Sustained Effort Needed to Ensure US–Iran Ceasefire Holds
Saudi Arabia’s Key East-West Oil Pipeline Targeted Following Ceasefire Announcement
Iran Targets Saudi Arabia’s East-West Oil Pipeline in Escalating Regional Tensions
Trump Warns of Civilizational Stakes as Iran Halts Negotiations
Saudi Companies Expand Remote Work Measures Ahead of Iran-Related Security Concerns
Iran Warns of Strikes on Saudi Energy Infrastructure if US Targets Its Facilities
Iran Urges Civilians to Form Human Shields Around Nuclear Sites as Diplomatic Deadline Approaches
Saudi Arabia Raises Oil Prices to Record Premiums Amid Supply Pressures Linked to Iran Conflict
Key Saudi-Bahrain Causeway Closed Amid Heightened Security Concerns Linked to Iran
Formula One Calendar Gap Explained as Fans Await Next Grand Prix
×