Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Sunday, Nov 30, 2025

Nubians compensated for abandoning homes, land to make way for Aswan dam

Nubians compensated for abandoning homes, land to make way for Aswan dam

A compensation scheme to recompense Nubians affected by the construction of the Aswan High Dam and reservoir has been further extended by the Egyptian government.
The awarding of damages is being conducted in line with a set of rules drawn up by a special committee and includes compensation payments, and the replacement of homes and agricultural land lost to the dam project.

And government-led work to develop the Upper Egypt region and Aswan governorate has been forging ahead with the aim of improving living standards for the local population.

Alaa El-Din Fouad, Egyptian minister of parliamentary affairs and chairman of the committee, said that all relevant state agencies were involved in helping the Nubian people satisfy their rights to compensation.

Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi ordered a review of the situation for those not previously compensated.

Aswan Gov. Ashraf Attia said more than 3,600 families had so far benefited from the process, and noted that a ceremony was held in January 2020 to hand over compensation to a group of Nubians in the presence of Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly.

The governor pointed out that 265 projects were underway in Nasr Al-Nuba, in addition to the construction of several new roads.

The Nubian civilization dates back 10,000 years with the name Nubia meaning land of the bows, reflecting the archery skills of its people.

Nubian influence extended throughout the Nile Valley to the Mediterranean Sea in the north and the people of Nubia were historically the first line of defense in protecting Egypt’s southern borders.

In 1902, when the Egyptian government and British authorities decided to build a reservoir to protect Egypt from Nile flooding, there were around 18,000 people living in the Nubia region near the border with Sudan.

Significant flooding had led to the loss of 10 Nubian villages and the displacement of their residents.

In 1912, following more deluges that left a further eight villages under water, the government raised the reservoir’s height, doing the same thing again in 1933 after 10 more villages became submerged.

After the revolution of July 23, 1952, the late Egyptian President Gamal Abdel Nasser started planning for the construction of the Aswan High Dam, and in 1963 the remaining Nubian population was moved to Nasr Al-Nuba and Kom Ombo in Aswan.

El-Sisi later set the ball rolling to compensate Nubians forced to leave their land and homes.
Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Will Saudi Arabia End Up Bankrolling Israel’s Post-Ceasefire Order in Lebanon?
Saudi Arabia’s SAMAI Initiative Surpasses One-Million-Citizen Milestone in National AI Upskilling Drive
Saudi Arabia’s Specialty Coffee Market Set to Surge as Demand Soars and New Exhibition Drops in December
Saudi Arabia Moves to Open Two New Alcohol Stores for Foreigners Under Vision 2030 Reform
Saudi Arabia’s AI Ambitions Gain Momentum — but Water, Talent and Infrastructure Pose Major Hurdles
Tensions Surface in Trump-MBS Talks as Saudi Pushes Back on Israel Normalisation
Saudi Arabia Signals Major Maritime Crack-Down on Houthi Routes in Red Sea
Italy and Saudi Arabia Seal Over 20 Strategic Deals at Business Forum in Riyadh
COP30 Ends Without Fossil Fuel Phase-Out as US, Saudi Arabia and Russia Align in Obstruction Role
Saudi-Portuguese Economic Horizons Expand Through Strategic Business Council
DHL Commits $150 Million for Landmark Logistics Hub in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Aramco Weighs Disposals Amid $10 Billion-Plus Asset Sales Discussion
Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince for Major Defence and Investment Agreements
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
Riyadh Metro Records Over One Hundred Million Journeys as Saudi Capital Accelerates Transit Era
Trump’s Grand Saudi Welcome Highlights U.S.–Riyadh Pivot as Israel Watches Warily
U.S. Set to Sell F-35 Jets to Saudi Arabia in Major Strategic Shift
Saudi Arabia Doubles Down on U.S. Partnership in Strategic Move
Saudi Arabia Charts Tech and Nuclear Leap Under Crown Prince’s U.S. Visit
Trump Elevates Saudi Arabia to Major Non-NATO Ally Amid Defense Deal
Trump Elevates Saudi Arabia to Major Non-NATO Ally as MBS Visit Yields Deepened Ties
Iran Appeals to Saudi Arabia to Mediate Restart of U.S. Nuclear Talks
Musk, Barra and Ford Join Trump in Lavish White House Dinner for Saudi Crown Prince
Lawmaker Seeks Declassification of ‘Shocking’ 2019 Call Between Trump and Saudi Crown Prince
US and Saudi Arabia Forge Strategic Defence Pact Featuring F-35 Sale and $1 Trillion Investment Pledge
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Emerges as Key Contender in Warner Bros. Discovery Sale
Trump Secures Sweeping U.S.–Saudi Agreements on Jets, Technology and Massive Investment
Detroit CEOs Join White House Dinner as U.S.–Saudi Auto Deal Accelerates
Netanyahu Secures U.S. Assurance That Israel’s Qualitative Military Edge Will Remain Despite Saudi F-35 Deal
Ronaldo Joins Trump and Saudi Crown Prince’s Gala Amid U.S.–Gulf Tech and Investment Surge
U.S.–Saudi Investment Forum Sees U.S. Corporate Titans and Saudi Royalty Forge Billion-Dollar Ties
Elon Musk’s xAI to Deploy 500-Megawatt Saudi Data Centre with State-backed Partner HUMAIN
U.S. Clears Export of Advanced AI Chips to Saudi Arabia and UAE Amid Strategic Tech Partnership
xAI Selects Saudi Data-Centre as First Customer of Nvidia-Backed Humain Project
A Decade of Innovation Stagnation at Apple: The Cook Era Critique
President Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in Washington Amid Strategic Deal Talks
Saudi Crown Prince to Press Trump for Direct U.S. Role in Ending Sudan War
Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince: Five Key Takeaways from the White House Meeting
Trump Firmly Defends Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Murder Amid Washington Visit
Trump Backs Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Killing Amid White House Visit
Trump Publicly Defends Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Killing During Washington Visit
President Donald Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman at White House to Seal Major Defence and Investment Deals
Saudi Arabia’s Solar Surge Signals Unlikely Shift in Global Oil Powerhouse
Saudi Crown Prince Receives Letter from Iranian President Ahead of U.S. Visit
Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Begins Washington Visit to Cement Long-Term U.S. Alliance
Saudi Crown Prince Meets Trump in Washington to Deepen Defence, AI and Nuclear Ties
Saudi Arabia Accelerates Global Mining Strategy to Build a New Economic Pillar
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman Arrives in Washington to Reset U.S.–Saudi Strategic Alliance
Saudi-Israeli Normalisation Deal Looms, But Riyadh Insists on Proceeding After Israeli Elections
Saudis Prioritise US Defence Pact and AI Deals, While Israel Normalisation Takes Back Seat
×