Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Sunday, Nov 30, 2025

Airlines 'to announce new wave of cancellations next week' as holidaymakers face more disruption

Airlines 'to announce new wave of cancellations next week' as holidaymakers face more disruption

Britain's busiest airport Heathrow reportedly has to tell officials which flights are no longer running by Friday - just as some schools begin breaking up for the summer holidays.

Holidaymakers are facing more travel disruption as airlines prepare to announce a new wave of cancellations next week and new strikes are planned in Spain.

Ryanair crew based in Spain plan to strike for 12 days this month to demand better working conditions, unions have said.

The announcement came on the final day of the crews' current strike, which began on Thursday and forced Ryanair to cancel 10 flights on Saturday.

It comes as Britain's busiest airport Heathrow has to tell officials about any further flight cancellations by Friday - just as some schools begin breaking up for the summer holidays, according to The Daily Telegraph.

The upheaval is in response to an amnesty announced last month that will allow airlines to cancel flights while still retaining take-off and landing slots next year.

In other developments:

• Flights were delayed at Heathrow Airport on Saturday after a technical fault with the airport's fuelling system
• A technical breakdown left at least 1,500 bags stuck at Paris' Charles de Gaulle airport
• A passenger travelling through Heathrow described the scene at baggage claim as looking like "a disaster movie"
• The government reportedly ruled out drafting in the military to help at UK airports after Ireland put the army on standby to assist in case of further disruption at Dublin

Ryanair's next industrial action in Spain will see cabin crew strike on 12-15 July, 18-21 July and 25-28 July across the 10 Spanish airports where Ryanair operates, according to unions.

Spain-based cabin crew at easyJet are also striking for nine days this month for higher pay.

Heathrow delays


On Saturday, flights were delayed at Heathrow Airport after a technical fault with the airport's fuelling system.

The system was closed down for an hour while engineers fixed the fault.

A Heathrow spokesman told Sky News: "A technical fault with the airport's fuelling system has now been resolved.

"We are working with all airport partners to minimise disruption, however flights out of Heathrow this afternoon may be subject to delays.

"We apologise for any impact this has on people's journeys."

There were long queues at Heathrow Airport this week


A passenger travelling through Heathrow described the scene at baggage claim as looking like "a disaster movie".

Adam Kent had arrived at Terminal 3 from Orlando, Florida, and said the sight "made a horrendous first impression of chaos" for international visitors.

The 59-year-old said: "(There was) lost luggage everywhere, stacked between baggage belts everyone stepping over it and no one doing anything about it.

"Being brutally honest, it looks like a serious health and safety issue.

"No one visible on the ground to explain the carnage or sort out the mess, it seems like lots of luggage has not arrived with passengers and just been dumped."

Passengers wait at Madrid–Barajas Airport.


Flying is 'too cheap', says Ryanair boss


The boss of Ryanair has claimed flying has become "too cheap" and warned fares will rise for the next five years.

Michael O'Leary told the Financial Times that high oil prices and environmental charges were expected to push the average Ryanair fare up from €40 (£35) to between $50-60 (£43-£52) over the medium term.

"I find it absurd every time that I fly to Stansted, the train journey into central London is more expensive than the air fare," he told the newspaper.

Travellers have already been hit by months of cancellations, delays and missing baggage.

Staff shortages in ground handling, airports, and flight crew, have presented major challenges as the aviation sector struggles to move into the peak season after two years of coronavirus pandemic-related turbulence.

Thousands of flights have been cancelled across various airlines over recent weeks, as capacity fails to keep up with demand - a problem also being seen across Europe.

At France's Charles de Gaulle airport, airlines have been working to deliver luggage to passengers around the world after a technical breakdown left at least 1,500 bags stuck at the Paris air hub.

It comes as some airport workers are on strike in France demanding the hiring of more staff and higher wages to keep up with soaring global inflation.

Ryanair and EasyJet airline workers rally at the gates of the Costa del Sol airport in Malaga.


The Department for Transport has temporarily relaxed rules around airport slots to help airlines avoid last-minute cancellations due to staff shortages.

It said airlines will be given a short window, described as an "amnesty", to hand back take-off and landing slots they are not confident they will be able to operate for the rest of the summer season.

It is hoped that being able to freely adjust schedules will allow airlines to run only the flights they can fully staff, ending the reports of passengers arriving at the airport to find their flights cancelled at the last minute.

On Thursday, Heathrow asked airlines to remove 30 flights from the morning peak schedule, saying that it was expecting "higher passenger numbers than the airport currently has capacity to serve".

Many passengers have also had luggage delayed or missing.

There is also the looming threat of industrial action, with hundreds of Heathrow-based check-in staff and ground handling agents voting last month for industrial action over pay.

A spokesperson for British Airways said the slot amnesty and consequent cancellations will "help us to provide the certainty our customers deserve by making it easier to consolidate some of our quieter daily flights to multi-frequency destinations well in advance".

They said that the airline "welcomes these new measures", adding: "Slot alleviation allows airlines to temporarily reduce their schedules but still retain their slots for the next year to maintain networks and provide consumers with certainty and consistency."

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Will Saudi Arabia End Up Bankrolling Israel’s Post-Ceasefire Order in Lebanon?
Saudi Arabia’s SAMAI Initiative Surpasses One-Million-Citizen Milestone in National AI Upskilling Drive
Saudi Arabia’s Specialty Coffee Market Set to Surge as Demand Soars and New Exhibition Drops in December
Saudi Arabia Moves to Open Two New Alcohol Stores for Foreigners Under Vision 2030 Reform
Saudi Arabia’s AI Ambitions Gain Momentum — but Water, Talent and Infrastructure Pose Major Hurdles
Tensions Surface in Trump-MBS Talks as Saudi Pushes Back on Israel Normalisation
Saudi Arabia Signals Major Maritime Crack-Down on Houthi Routes in Red Sea
Italy and Saudi Arabia Seal Over 20 Strategic Deals at Business Forum in Riyadh
COP30 Ends Without Fossil Fuel Phase-Out as US, Saudi Arabia and Russia Align in Obstruction Role
Saudi-Portuguese Economic Horizons Expand Through Strategic Business Council
DHL Commits $150 Million for Landmark Logistics Hub in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Aramco Weighs Disposals Amid $10 Billion-Plus Asset Sales Discussion
Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince for Major Defence and Investment Agreements
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
Riyadh Metro Records Over One Hundred Million Journeys as Saudi Capital Accelerates Transit Era
Trump’s Grand Saudi Welcome Highlights U.S.–Riyadh Pivot as Israel Watches Warily
U.S. Set to Sell F-35 Jets to Saudi Arabia in Major Strategic Shift
Saudi Arabia Doubles Down on U.S. Partnership in Strategic Move
Saudi Arabia Charts Tech and Nuclear Leap Under Crown Prince’s U.S. Visit
Trump Elevates Saudi Arabia to Major Non-NATO Ally Amid Defense Deal
Trump Elevates Saudi Arabia to Major Non-NATO Ally as MBS Visit Yields Deepened Ties
Iran Appeals to Saudi Arabia to Mediate Restart of U.S. Nuclear Talks
Musk, Barra and Ford Join Trump in Lavish White House Dinner for Saudi Crown Prince
Lawmaker Seeks Declassification of ‘Shocking’ 2019 Call Between Trump and Saudi Crown Prince
US and Saudi Arabia Forge Strategic Defence Pact Featuring F-35 Sale and $1 Trillion Investment Pledge
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Emerges as Key Contender in Warner Bros. Discovery Sale
Trump Secures Sweeping U.S.–Saudi Agreements on Jets, Technology and Massive Investment
Detroit CEOs Join White House Dinner as U.S.–Saudi Auto Deal Accelerates
Netanyahu Secures U.S. Assurance That Israel’s Qualitative Military Edge Will Remain Despite Saudi F-35 Deal
Ronaldo Joins Trump and Saudi Crown Prince’s Gala Amid U.S.–Gulf Tech and Investment Surge
U.S.–Saudi Investment Forum Sees U.S. Corporate Titans and Saudi Royalty Forge Billion-Dollar Ties
Elon Musk’s xAI to Deploy 500-Megawatt Saudi Data Centre with State-backed Partner HUMAIN
U.S. Clears Export of Advanced AI Chips to Saudi Arabia and UAE Amid Strategic Tech Partnership
xAI Selects Saudi Data-Centre as First Customer of Nvidia-Backed Humain Project
A Decade of Innovation Stagnation at Apple: The Cook Era Critique
President Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in Washington Amid Strategic Deal Talks
Saudi Crown Prince to Press Trump for Direct U.S. Role in Ending Sudan War
Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince: Five Key Takeaways from the White House Meeting
Trump Firmly Defends Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Murder Amid Washington Visit
Trump Backs Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Killing Amid White House Visit
Trump Publicly Defends Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Killing During Washington Visit
President Donald Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman at White House to Seal Major Defence and Investment Deals
Saudi Arabia’s Solar Surge Signals Unlikely Shift in Global Oil Powerhouse
Saudi Crown Prince Receives Letter from Iranian President Ahead of U.S. Visit
Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Begins Washington Visit to Cement Long-Term U.S. Alliance
Saudi Crown Prince Meets Trump in Washington to Deepen Defence, AI and Nuclear Ties
Saudi Arabia Accelerates Global Mining Strategy to Build a New Economic Pillar
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman Arrives in Washington to Reset U.S.–Saudi Strategic Alliance
Saudi-Israeli Normalisation Deal Looms, But Riyadh Insists on Proceeding After Israeli Elections
Saudis Prioritise US Defence Pact and AI Deals, While Israel Normalisation Takes Back Seat
×