Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Sunday, Feb 22, 2026

Dubai ruler to have no direct contact with two children after UK court battle

Dubai ruler to have no direct contact with two children after UK court battle

Sheikh Mohammed’s ex-wife Princess Haya granted responsibility for decisions on their children’s medical care and schooling

The ruler of Dubai will have no face-to-face contact with his two children from his marriage to Princess Haya nor any substantive say in their upbringing, after a long-running court battle between the former couple and a series of damning judgments about his “abusive behaviour”.

Concluding more than two and a half years of legal proceedings, which began when Haya fled to the UK with the children in April 2019, the president of the family division of the high court in England and Wales said Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum had “consistently displayed coercive and controlling behaviour with respect to those members of his family who he regards as behaving contrary to his will”.

In a written judgment, Sir Andrew McFarlane ruled that Haya would have sole responsibility for decisions relating to the children’s medical care and schooling. He said the Dubai ruler, who is also prime minister of the United Arab Emirates, a close Gulf ally of Britain, had inflicted “domestic abuse” on an extraordinary scale against his ex-wife, which had emotionally and psychologically harmed their children and would continue to do so if she were required to gain approval for matters involving their wellbeing.

At the outset of proceedings, Sheikh Mohammed had sought the return of Jalila, now 14, and Zayed, now 10, to Dubai. But McFarlane said that since October 2019 the Dubai ruler had accepted that the children would remain living with their mother in England and, on 1 December last year had announced that he would no longer pursue direct contact with them.

This change of heart followed damning judgments by McFarlane which determined, on the balance of probabilities, that:

* Sheikh Mohammed orchestrated the abductions and confinement of two of his other children, Princess Latifa and Princess Shamsa – in the latter case from the streets of Cambridge – and subjected Haya to a campaign of “harassment and intimidation”.

* He hacked the phones of Haya and five of her associates, including two of her lawyers, using NSO Group’s Pegasus spyware while the couple were locked in court proceedings.

* His agents attempted to buy a £30m estate next door to Haya’s Berkshire home in a “very significant threat to her security”, while publicly denying they were doing so.

In the latest judgment, published on Thursday, McFarlane noted Sheikh Mohammed’s failure to attend or play a part in any of the many court hearings, instead relying on his lawyers, and the absence from him “of any acceptance of responsibility, expression of remorse or understanding of the impact of this behaviour on the mother” and failure to acknowledge Haya’s good parenting.

Describing the co-parenting relationship as “entirely bankrupt”, he wrote: “The children are being harmed by the degree to which their mother is compromised emotionally and in terms of the time and focus she has been able to give to them because of the need to engage with all of the issues that have preoccupied her these last three years, and by the impact that the need constantly to engage with the demands of this court process has had on her.

“The harm to the children from all of these factors will, I am clear, continue if she is, in the future, required to communicate with his highness to gain his approval for matters, even serious matters, relating to the children’s health, education or psychological wellbeing.”

In oral evidence, Haya, who last year was awarded a potentially record-breaking divorce settlement that could exceed £500m to protect her and their children from the sheikh, said: “To look forward to shared parental responsibility with somebody who cannot even see you as a parent, or bear to mention your name on paper, does not feel like that there is anything shared about it.”

McFarlane said a series of legal challenges, including appeals, brought by the sheikh’s lawyers, while legitimate, were a manifestation of a desire to “coerce and control” Haya and prevent or curtail the court’s investigations.

He added: “His highness’s behaviour towards the mother, in each of its separate manifestations, whether by threats, poems, coordinating press reports, covertly arranging to purchase property immediately overlooking hers, phone hacking or in the conduct of this litigation, has been abusive to a high, indeed exorbitant, degree.”

The result of the judgment is that Sheikh Mohammed will be limited to “indirect contact” with his children, for example by phone or via messaging apps.

McFarlane said the explicit naming of children in a welfare judgment appeared to be unprecedented but Haya and Jalila favoured publication and it would “remove the potential for conjecture, manipulation and/or falsehood” by the sheikh or those acting for him with respect to the children’s welfare.

In a statement issued on Thursday, Haya thanked the court and her legal team. She said: “The last few years have been a frightening journey and yet the sanctuary, protection and extraordinary compassion we have experienced in England have strengthened our belief in the enduring power of both humanity and justice.”

A statement issued on behalf of Sheikh Mohammed said: “He loves his children and cherishes their love for him. He has always cared and provided for them, and always will. He maintains his denial of the allegations made in these contentious proceedings.”

Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
United States Approves Over Fifteen Billion Dollars in Major Arms Sales to Israel and Saudi Arabia
Pre-Iftar Walks Gain Momentum as Ramadan Wellness Trend Spreads
Middle East Jackup Rig Fleet Contracts Further After Saudi Drilling Suspensions
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Prepare to Sign Five Gigawatt Renewable Energy Deal at COP31
King Mohammed VI Congratulates Saudi Leadership on Founding Day, Reaffirming Strategic Ties
US Envoy Huckabee Clarifies Remarks on Israel After Expansionism Controversy
Saudi Arabia Introduces Limited Exceptions to Regional Headquarters Requirement for Foreign Firms
Saudi Arabia Joins Global Partnership on Artificial Intelligence, Elevating Its Role in Shaping AI Governance
Saudi Arabia and Arab States Mobilise Diplomatically After U.S. Envoy’s Israel Remarks
Cristiano Ronaldo Reaffirms His Commitment to Saudi Arabia Amid Transfer Speculation
Proposed US-Saudi Nuclear Deal Raises Questions Over Uranium Enrichment Provisions
Saudi Arabia Sends 81st Aid Flight to Gaza as Humanitarian Air Bridge Continues
Global Games Show Riyadh 2026 Positioned as Catalyst for Saudi Arabia’s Vision 2030
Saudi Arabia Eases Procurement Rules, Allowing Foreign Firms Greater Access to Government Contracts
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Seal Two Billion Dollar Solar Energy Agreement
Saudi Crown Prince Reportedly Sends Letter to UAE Leader Over Yemen and Sudan Policies
Saudi Arabia Voices Concerns to UAE Over Sudan Conflict and Yemen Strategy
Saudi Arabia Joins Global Artificial Intelligence Alliance to Strengthen International Collaboration
Shura Island Positioned as Flagship of Saudi Arabia’s Ambitious Red Sea Tourism Drive
Saudi Arabia Rebukes Mike Huckabee Over Remarks in Tucker Carlson Interview
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman praises the rapid progress of Chinese tech companies.
Concerns Mount Over Potential Saudi Uranium Enrichment in Prospective US Nuclear Accord
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
Investability Emerges as the Defining Test of Saudi Arabia’s Next Market Phase
Saudi Arabia’s Packaging Market Accelerates as Sustainability and E-Commerce Drive Transformation
Saudi Arabia’s Strategic Minerals Drive Offers Lessons for Europe’s Supply Chain Ambitions
Saudi Arabia Unveils $32 Billion Push Into Theme Parks and Global Entertainment
Saudi Crude Exports to India Climb Sharply, Closing Gap With Russia
Saudi Arabia’s Halal Cosmetics Market Expands as Faith and Ethical Beauty Drive Growth
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
ImmunityBio Secures Saudi Partnerships to Launch Flagship Cancer Therapy
Türkiye and Saudi Arabia Launch Expanded Renewable Energy Partnership
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Saudi Arabia Tops Middle East Green Building Rankings with Record Growth in 2025
Qatar and Saudi Arabia Each Commit One Billion Dollars to President Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ Initiative
Ramadan 2026 Prayer Times Set as Fasting Begins in Saudi Arabia and Egypt Announces Dates
Saudi Arabia Launches Ramadan 2026 Hotel Campaign to Boost Religious and Leisure Tourism
Saudi Arabia Seeks Reroute of Greece-Bound Fibre-Optic Cable Through Syria Instead of Israel
Saudi-Backed Scopely Acquires Majority Stake in Turkey’s Loom Games to Expand Mobile Portfolio
Zodiac Milpro Launches Zid Marine Joint Venture in Saudi Arabia to Expand Regional Shipbuilding
Saudi Arabia Reaffirms Reform Path Amid Claims of Ideological Reversal
Calls Grow for Saudi Arabia and UAE to Settle Differences Through Direct Dialogue
Jensen Huang just told the story of how Elon Musk became NVIDIA’s very first customer for their powerful AI supercomputer
British couple sentenced to 10 years in Iran for espionage
Former British Prince Andrew Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office
Unitree Robotics founder Wang Xingxing showcases future robot deployment during Spring Festival Gala.
Prince William Holds Talks with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman During Saudi Visit
Saudi Arabia’s Humain Commits $3 Billion Investment to Elon Musk’s xAI
×