Saudi Press

Saudi Arabia and the world
Saturday, Nov 29, 2025

Clashes continue in Jerusalem as Jordanian king urges Israeli restraint

Clashes continue in Jerusalem as Jordanian king urges Israeli restraint

King Abdullah II of Jordan on Sunday called on Israel to “stop all illegal and provocative measures” that drive “further aggravation” in occupied Jerusalem and to respect the existing historical and legal situation.
His remarks came as nearly 20 people were wounded on Sunday in several incidents in and around Jerusalem’s flashpoint Al-Aqsa Mosque, two days after major violence at the site.

Palestinian officials accused Israel of trying to divide the sensitive holy site.

The latest clashes take the number of wounded since Friday to more than 170, at a tense time when the Jewish Passover festival coincides with Ramadan.

The Palestinians expect another week of Ramadan full of tension as extremist Jewish groups shout the slogan “This Passover is in Al-Aqsa Mosque.”

The Palestinian Red Crescent said that 19 Palestinians were wounded, including at least five who were hospitalized, during Sunday’s confrontations that erupted in the vicinity of the mosque. Five of them were taken to hospital.

It said that some had been wounded by rubber-coated steel bullets.

According to Palestinian sources, violent clashes erupted at Al-Aqsa Mosque on Sunday morning after some 728 extremist Jewish people raided its courtyards. Several people were injured and arrested.

The Palestinian sources confirmed that the Israeli police closed Al-Aqsa Mosque and prevented entry to it, while trying to secure a path of entry for Jewish visitors to the major holy site.

Clashes erupted at the Bab Huttah neighborhood adjacent to the Mosque two days after the violent clashes that caused more than 150 injuries and the arrest of around 400 by Israeli police. The youths threw fireworks at the troops stationed at Al-Aqsa Gate and prevented worshippers from entering it.

Israeli police fired regular barrages of rubber bullets and sound bombs at Bab Huttah lane.

Palestinian sources in Jerusalem told Arab News that the Israeli forces had turned the Al-Aqsa compound into a military barracks, as they invaded before 7 a.m on Sunday and emptied its courtyards of worshipers.

The troops surrounded some people inside the Al-Qibli prayer mosque and fired rubber bullets toward them through the windows that they broke on Friday.

They also tampered with external speakers after young men called their friends to come to Al-Aqsa and prevented ambulance crews from entering the mosque to treat the injured.

On Friday morning, police clashed with Palestinians in the compound, including inside the mosque, drawing strong condemnation from Muslim countries. Some 150 people were wounded during those clashes.

Palestine Liberation Organization Executive Committee member Adnan Al-Husseini said: “Al-Aqsa has become an arena for the race to please the settlers among the members of the Israeli government, which lost the parliamentary majority.”

Sheikh Mohammed Hussein, mufti of Jerusalem and the Holy Palestinian Territories, told Arab News: “This is a worrying situation, and it is not acceptable in any way for the Al-Aqsa Mosque to be emptied of its Muslim owners and to allow the settlers to enter it in this harsh manner without taking into account the sanctity and sanctity of the mosque and the dignity of Muslim worshipers.”

He added: “The Israeli occupier does not take into account the situation of the worshipers in the mosque and does not want them to be present during the Jewish extremists’ incursions, and this is unacceptable.”

Israeli sources said that an Egyptian intelligence service delegation made a short visit to Israel on Friday to lead direct mediation efforts in light of the current escalation, which threatens another explosion of the situation in the Gaza Strip.

The sources added that the Egyptian side demanded the Hamas leadership to “control the situation” in the Gaza Strip, expressing fears that any mistake might lead to a new round of missile attacks from the Gaza Strip across its borders, which would push the situation to a point of no return.

The Israeli Channel 12, meanwhile, reported that Israeli right-wing extremist MK Itamar Ben-Gvir was considering moving his office from the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood to the Damascus Gate area in Jerusalem.

The channel claimed that Ben-Gvir sent a message to the commander of the Jerusalem police on Sunday, saying: “If violence by the Palestinians continues in Jerusalem, and if the political level does not allow you to act freely against them, I will open a parliamentary office at Damascus Gate in the coming days.”

A Hamas statement said that it holds Israel responsible for the repercussions of attacking the Palestinian worshippers at Al-Aqsa Mosque at dawn on Sunday and allowing the colonial settlers to raid and desecrate Al-Aqsa Mosque, which provokes the feelings of the Palestinian people, Arabs and Muslims around the world.

The Hamas statement added: “The Palestinian people will confront the occupation’s continued aggression against the Palestinian worshippers and thwart its malicious schemes of the temporal and spatial sanctuary of Al-Aqsa Mosque during the holy month of Ramadan. The Palestinian people are committed to protecting Al-Aqsa Mosque and holy land at all costs.”

Nevertheless, the last time the month of Ramadan coincided with Passover and Easter was three decades ago, when thousands of worshippers from all three faiths arrived at the old city area at the same time.
Newsletter

Related Articles

Saudi Press
0:00
0:00
Close
Will Saudi Arabia End Up Bankrolling Israel’s Post-Ceasefire Order in Lebanon?
Saudi Arabia’s SAMAI Initiative Surpasses One-Million-Citizen Milestone in National AI Upskilling Drive
Saudi Arabia’s Specialty Coffee Market Set to Surge as Demand Soars and New Exhibition Drops in December
Saudi Arabia Moves to Open Two New Alcohol Stores for Foreigners Under Vision 2030 Reform
Saudi Arabia’s AI Ambitions Gain Momentum — but Water, Talent and Infrastructure Pose Major Hurdles
Tensions Surface in Trump-MBS Talks as Saudi Pushes Back on Israel Normalisation
Saudi Arabia Signals Major Maritime Crack-Down on Houthi Routes in Red Sea
Italy and Saudi Arabia Seal Over 20 Strategic Deals at Business Forum in Riyadh
COP30 Ends Without Fossil Fuel Phase-Out as US, Saudi Arabia and Russia Align in Obstruction Role
Saudi-Portuguese Economic Horizons Expand Through Strategic Business Council
DHL Commits $150 Million for Landmark Logistics Hub in Saudi Arabia
Saudi Aramco Weighs Disposals Amid $10 Billion-Plus Asset Sales Discussion
Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince for Major Defence and Investment Agreements
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
Riyadh Metro Records Over One Hundred Million Journeys as Saudi Capital Accelerates Transit Era
Trump’s Grand Saudi Welcome Highlights U.S.–Riyadh Pivot as Israel Watches Warily
U.S. Set to Sell F-35 Jets to Saudi Arabia in Major Strategic Shift
Saudi Arabia Doubles Down on U.S. Partnership in Strategic Move
Saudi Arabia Charts Tech and Nuclear Leap Under Crown Prince’s U.S. Visit
Trump Elevates Saudi Arabia to Major Non-NATO Ally Amid Defense Deal
Trump Elevates Saudi Arabia to Major Non-NATO Ally as MBS Visit Yields Deepened Ties
Iran Appeals to Saudi Arabia to Mediate Restart of U.S. Nuclear Talks
Musk, Barra and Ford Join Trump in Lavish White House Dinner for Saudi Crown Prince
Lawmaker Seeks Declassification of ‘Shocking’ 2019 Call Between Trump and Saudi Crown Prince
US and Saudi Arabia Forge Strategic Defence Pact Featuring F-35 Sale and $1 Trillion Investment Pledge
Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund Emerges as Key Contender in Warner Bros. Discovery Sale
Trump Secures Sweeping U.S.–Saudi Agreements on Jets, Technology and Massive Investment
Detroit CEOs Join White House Dinner as U.S.–Saudi Auto Deal Accelerates
Netanyahu Secures U.S. Assurance That Israel’s Qualitative Military Edge Will Remain Despite Saudi F-35 Deal
Ronaldo Joins Trump and Saudi Crown Prince’s Gala Amid U.S.–Gulf Tech and Investment Surge
U.S.–Saudi Investment Forum Sees U.S. Corporate Titans and Saudi Royalty Forge Billion-Dollar Ties
Elon Musk’s xAI to Deploy 500-Megawatt Saudi Data Centre with State-backed Partner HUMAIN
U.S. Clears Export of Advanced AI Chips to Saudi Arabia and UAE Amid Strategic Tech Partnership
xAI Selects Saudi Data-Centre as First Customer of Nvidia-Backed Humain Project
A Decade of Innovation Stagnation at Apple: The Cook Era Critique
President Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in Washington Amid Strategic Deal Talks
Saudi Crown Prince to Press Trump for Direct U.S. Role in Ending Sudan War
Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince: Five Key Takeaways from the White House Meeting
Trump Firmly Defends Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Murder Amid Washington Visit
Trump Backs Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Killing Amid White House Visit
Trump Publicly Defends Saudi Crown Prince Over Khashoggi Killing During Washington Visit
President Donald Trump Hosts Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman at White House to Seal Major Defence and Investment Deals
Saudi Arabia’s Solar Surge Signals Unlikely Shift in Global Oil Powerhouse
Saudi Crown Prince Receives Letter from Iranian President Ahead of U.S. Visit
Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Begins Washington Visit to Cement Long-Term U.S. Alliance
Saudi Crown Prince Meets Trump in Washington to Deepen Defence, AI and Nuclear Ties
Saudi Arabia Accelerates Global Mining Strategy to Build a New Economic Pillar
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman Arrives in Washington to Reset U.S.–Saudi Strategic Alliance
Saudi-Israeli Normalisation Deal Looms, But Riyadh Insists on Proceeding After Israeli Elections
Saudis Prioritise US Defence Pact and AI Deals, While Israel Normalisation Takes Back Seat
×